Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How low can you go?

Options
  • 05-09-2017 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭

This is a game I sometimes play on property websites...just looking for the cheapest property.

Recent shocking news stories about homelessness have prompted me to try again...of course, location makes a huge difference.

Looking on Daft, - first in a pricey location: you can't get a house in Mount Merrion for much under a million - thereabouts, anyway.

So trying Blanchardstown, a much cheaper area, I found several under 250K. Decent 3-bed houses, own front door, etc.
    Warrenstown looks like a pleasant enough area: I think this is pretty good value.

So, any other attempts? Has to be a real dwelling, not a shed. Anywhere in greater Dublin area but commute to town for work must be possible.

Want to play? What offers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Transit van

Mercedes Sprinter at a stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

thierry14 wrote: »
    Transit van

Mercedes Sprinter at a stretch

Are you in the wrong thread? There's another about living in vans...

Meanwhile, fired with enthusiasm, I found several in the Tallaght conurbation for under 200K. Even a few semis, as well as terraced.

Some people might have reservations about the location since there is a lot of social housing and some social problems, depending on what part.
    And it's quite far out, but there's a LUAS to some areas and plenty of services, schools, colleges, sports, etc.

It's got to be better than pouring huge sums of money into the pockets of profiteering landlords, at least that's my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

It's crazy watching the likes of Homes Under the Hammer and seeing people buying houses for around £60k, doing them up and selling them for £90k at a profit.

Don't think you could make a living 'flipping' properties in this country. Potential value of a house after work is done seems to be already included in the price here.

Wheety wrote: »

Don't think you could make a living 'flipping' properties in this country. Potential value of a house after work is done seems to be already included in the price here.

Well, so much the better!
    And if it needs a coat of paint or some DIY, well, you can't do that in a hotel room! Still some good deals available if you have the energy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Two bed House Forth Road East Wall Dublin 3 €180,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

gizmo81 wrote: »

I always think east wall has a lot going for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

mariaalice wrote: »
    I always think east wall has a lot going for it.

It's busy at the moment.

Facebook is moving into a huge block in the heart of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Lads, sign up for Daft.ie, hit like on the properties you think are well priced, and then check property price register once they are marked sold.

I have been doing it a while. All of the properties in the greater Dublin region that I thought woo that's a competitive price went for well in excess of the list price. Clondalkin 3 bed 230, went for 290. The only one that didn't was one in Balbriggan that actually went for 4 grand cheaper. That was the only property I could find. The next closest was 15k more than list.

TL:DR Stop relying on list prices on Daft!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

myshirt wrote: »
    TL:DR Stop relying on list prices on Daft!

Or don't confuse the initial asking price with the selling price :pac:

I would be looking at Rush and Lusk near the coast and you would get something under 200k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

It's crazy watching the likes of Homes Under the Hammer and seeing people buying houses for around £60k, doing them up and selling them for £90k at a profit.

Seems to be quite a supply of old derelict houses (for sale) in former mining/industrial towns. Lots of old terraced houses built in the early 1900s, we don't have that here outside of Dublin

Well, thats a fair point - the listed price to attract customers may well be less than what it ultimately sells for.

(That wasn't the original game, though)

Cherry Orchard used often to be the clear winner: but today, to my surprise, I can't find anything offered there for under 200K. The place must be getting gentrified!

Ballyfermot still has plenty of good sound houses at reasonable prices. And it's a very settled area now. And not too far from town by modern standards.

gizmo81 wrote: »

Very central, and there's plenty of work in the area.
    On the t'other hand, some of the local families....disagree with the law...and with each other.
    - Don't annoy the neighbours, would be wise counsel.

Well, it is, anywhere: but specially important round there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Ex corporation houses withing 10 km of the city center are great value. Unlike some modern techniques, they often used poured concrete in their construction so are strong and durable.

Examples : Ballyfermot, cabra, crumlin, donnycarney, east wall, sallynoggin.

Well built houses close to the city center of a capital city...cant go wrong.

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Ex corporation houses withing 10 km of the city center are great value. Unlike some modern techniques, they often used poured concrete in their construction so are strong and durable.

Examples : Ballyfermot, cabra, crumlin, donnycarney, east wall, sallynoggin.

Well built houses close to the city center of a capital city...cant go wrong.

Sallynoggin is not cheap
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/sallynoggin/455-pearse-villas-sallynoggin-dublin-1527044/

Now in fairness its a lovely house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Yeah, it would probably be an exception at 116 m2 and on a corner. Most of others are around 90 m2 or less, without the extra front space.

Sallynoggin is probably too close to Dalkey to be included in the ' ex corpo houses that are still good value ' basket, but the odd one does come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I was thinking the same, haven't seen any cheap ones around there. Closest you'd get would be Monkstown farm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Don't confuse asking price and selling price. Place in very established area near my parents (marketed as Castleknock) sold for 580k, was on at 370k.

Where I live is selling for 260k around here but renting for 1700.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

You can make money flipping here. Its just there is little incentive to do it. Why flip a house only have to give 33% to revenue in the form of CGT?

There is very little flipping on the lower end of the market. But once you get into the €600k+ range. There is money to be made on flipping

Quoting 225K...my bet is that this will go for much more.
    Small and shabby-chic, lots of character, overlooking the park.
    So it may need a bit of doing-up...but somebody will pounce on this one.

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/kimmage/63-sundrive-road-kimmage-dublin-1433415/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Day Lewin wrote: »

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/kimmage/63-sundrive-road-kimmage-dublin-1433415/

Far too low for the area, I would expect this to go for over 400k.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭sharpish

I would be looking at Rush and Lusk near the coast and you would get something under 200k

Pyrite issues so you need to be a cash buyer and anything good doesn't go for less than 200k, Laytown Balbriggan the way to go.

Found a few for about the 200K mark in Coolock. I wonder why the CoCo doesn't just buy them for cash down and use for urgent cases on the housing list?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

I can't wait until the next recession then this game will be fun, buy buy buy, the same mistakes are being made

• Registered Users Posts: 20,096 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I can't wait until the next recession then this game will be fun, buy buy buy, the same mistakes are being made

what mistakes pray tell oh wise one

Cyrus wrote: »
    what mistakes pray tell oh wise one

Intrinsically overvalued Irish property

• Registered Users Posts: 20,096 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Intrinsically overvalued Irish property

go on, thats just a soundbite

what mistakes are being made, what property is overvalued?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭wench

Been for sale for six months now, no pouncing visible so far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

wench wrote: »

Been for sale for six months now, no pouncing visible so far
    Probably needs a good €100k put into it...seems a good location all the same

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    go on, thats just a soundbite

what mistakes are being made, what property is overvalued?

What's your opinion on intrinsic value? Probably swaying to I like getting absolutely burned everywhere I go, but at least I'm living in Ireland

The quality in Ireland is terrible, and supply curbed which leads to inflated house prices both on the rental and private sale markets. Politicians made the legislation to suit their personal portfolios. And now when people are screaming only is it a "real problem" get real

Advertisement