Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Delayed flight, what am I entitled to?

• 05-09-2017 9:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm currently chilling out in Cork Airport waiting for my flight to LHR, was supposed to leave at 07:20, latest information is that we'll be updated at 10:00, might be leaving at 10:30. Just trying to figure out what I am entitled to? We have been offered breakfast vouchers, but I think if flight is 3 hours or more late then I can get compensation. They also said I could cancel if needed, I assume it'd be one or the other?

Would I be right in saying I would need to sort out compensation issues afterwards, I don't need to do anything while in airport?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Compo culture is alive.

Waiting on a flight and first thought is compo compo compo.

Guess who actually pays the compo to compo vultures. Yep, the punter always pays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Compo culture is alive.

Guess who actually pays the compo to compo vultures. Yep, the punter always pays.

Well not really. I was flying to a series of meetings. I will now not make these meetings. Aer lingus helpfully just give us half hour updates, but it's clear flight isn't going anytime soon. As a result my work is out of pocket for the flight, I've lost a bunch of hours of work, I'm missing valuable meetings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

All depends on what the circumstances of the delay are but its 250 euros for 3 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

A quick search brought up this...

https://www.aerlingus.com/media/pdfs/LEGALDELAY.pdf
    Rules for Compensation

Compensation can be claimed where you are delayed in arriving at your final destination by
    more than three hours and that delay arises from causes within our control (rather than
    extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided by taking all reasonable
    measures).

The compensation levels are as follows:

(a) EUR 250 for all flights of 1,500 kilometres or less;

(b) EUR 400 for all intra-Community flights of more than 1,500 kilometres, and for all other
    flights between 1,500 and 3,500 kilometres;

(c) EUR 600 for all flights not falling under (a) or (b) of this paragraph.

The amount of the compensation is reduced by 50% for flights longer than 3,500 kilometers if
    any re-routing offered to your final destination results in your arrival within four hours of the
    scheduled arrival time of the original flight.

If you have any queries or complaints about your rights in the case of delays, please contact our
    customer relations department. You may also contact the Commission for Aviation Regulation,
    which has been designated as the enforcement body in Ireland for Regulation EC 261/2004, at
    Alexandra House, Earlsfort Terrace, Dublin 2.

This Notice is required by Regulation EC 261/2004 of the European Parliament and of the
    Council of the European Union

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Sorry to hear you've been delayed, it's never fun sitting around an airport for hours. Hope you get to your destination soon. Any relevant compo would have to be claimed after your journey and can take months, yes months to process. Staff in the terminal won't have anything to do with this.

• Advertisement

Locker10a wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you've been delayed, it's never fun sitting around an airport for hours. Hope you get to your destination soon. Any relevant compo would have to be claimed after your journey and can take months, yes months to process. Staff in the terminal won't have anything to do with this.

I went home (well to the office). Flight still hasn't left, I'd have been at risk of missing my return flight the way things are going...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

Compo culture is alive.

and why shouldn't you look for comp if you flight is delayed and your entitled to it…as you say your paying for it anyway!:P

guideanna wrote: »
    Compo culture is alive.

and why shouldn't you look for comp if you flight is delayed and your entitled to it…as you say your paying for it anyway!:P
    The thing is, much like insurance, we will all end up paying for it in the end. A couple of years back Ryanair actually introduced an EU261 levy on tickets to recoup the costs of paying out this compensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I wouldn't be into looking for compo at all but recently I nearly missed a family funeral due to a long delay with an Aer Lingus flight. There was no excuse given either just to say there was a delay.
    It's not good enough.

I wouldn't be into looking for compo at all but recently I nearly missed a family funeral due to a long delay with an Aer Lingus flight. There was no excuse given either just to say there was a delay.
    It's not good enough.

Yeah delays are just crap, but unfortunately flying is never a given and so many things can affect flight schedules.
    Despite knowing this too well I have in the past made plans around flights, tight connecting times to busses/trains etc. and it just creates a horrible stressful journey. But I appreciate the frustration.
    Generally speaking though we are lucky as flights to/from Ireland tend to have good punctuality, in comparison to some UK airports, Gatwick being the worst, it seems nothing goes on time there.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

months is a massive exaggeration. Aer lingus are quick turning those around and nowhere near months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Departed at 12:42:eek:

cml387 wrote: »

And the flight after the 07:20 was cancelled. There was a lot of angry, angry people wandering the airport when I left...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

months is a massive exaggeration. Aer lingus are quick turning those around and nowhere near months

If they're anything like the ADP refund I applied for last year, didn't get it for 6 months.

dulpit wrote: »
    cml387 wrote: »

And the flight after the 07:20 was cancelled. There was a lot of angry, angry people wandering the airport when I left...
    I'm assuming the aircraft was grounded due to some tech issue then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

The thing is, much like insurance, we will all end up paying for it in the end. A couple of years back Ryanair actually introduced an EU261 levy on tickets to recoup the costs of paying out this compensation.

the reason insurance is so highly inflated now is because of fraud…this is not the same thing.
    OP's flight was delayed..he's ENTITLED to compo!
    I for one would 100% be looking for it regardless if i missed out on business or not.

the reason insurance is so highly inflated now is because of fraud…this is not the same thing.
    OP's flight was delayed..he's ENTITLED to compo!
    I for one would 100% be looking for it regardless if i missed out on business or not.
    Naturally...but do you expect the airlines to magic up the money? If compo claims are hitting their profits, they will simply factor it into their ticket prices etc as an additional operational "cost"!! As I said Ryanair strongly denounced EU261 and added an EU261 levy on tickets at one point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I've no issue once the entitlement is valid. The op was asking about compo BEFORE the relevant delay had happened.

It obviously was the first thing on his mind - what compo can i get.

For most people there'd be more pressing matters taking priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've no issue once the entitlement is valid. The op was asking about compo BEFORE the relevant delay had happened.

Before the relevant delay had ended, it seems like; rather than happened.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Naturally...but do you expect the airlines to magic up the money? If compo claims are hitting their profits, they will simply factor it into their ticket prices etc as an additional operational "cost"!! As I said Ryanair strongly denounced EU261 and added an EU261 levy on tickets at one point!

Ya joe it's disgraceful similar to the provision of wheelchairs we are all paying for these services through expensive fares, rolleyes

Ah no, it's a cost of business simple, I highly doubt you would turn down compensation yourself if there was a monetary cost to you of a flight delay. You wouldn't be on here berating people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Presumably the aircraft had a technical fault.

I do wonder sometimes what people expect the airline to do in those circumstances?

People tend to lose all sense of reason when they're no longer in control of their own travel arrangements.

It's not good, but if an aircraft goes tech, you can be sure the airline is doing everything it can to get it fixed - otherwise it becomes very expensive for them.

With the exception of one return flight, all Cork-LHR flights are operated by the same aircraft, so one delay will have knock-on effects.

Ya joe it's disgraceful similar to the provision of wheelchairs we are all paying for these services through expensive fares, rolleyes

Ah no, it's a cost of business simple, I highly doubt you would turn down compensation yourself if there was a monetary cost to you of a flight delay. You wouldn't be on here berating people.
    I've actually not berated anyone, if anything I've been sympathetic to the OP....
    and yes my whole point is it is now becoming "cost of business" my whole point is, costs get passed along

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Erm, I thought the airlines have no problem charging if you have extra/overweight bags? If you need to change a flight time? Yep, the passenger may have fecked up and inconvineced them a little, so don't see why it's so bad to ask if the same works in reverse??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

No he didn't. His flight was at 7am and he posted at 10am which is the 3 hour window for compensation :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Noxegon

LXFlyer wrote: »
    People tend to lose all sense of reason when they're no longer in control of their own travel arrangements.

Modern air travel has become a thoroughly miserable experience what with repeated queuing, charges for everything under the sun, ritual humiliation at security, constant shouted announcements, et al. Is it such a surprise when people react badly when something goes wrong?

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Noxegon wrote: »
    Modern air travel has become a thoroughly miserable experience what with repeated queuing, charges for everything under the sun, ritual humiliation at security, constant shouted announcements, et al. Is it such a surprise when people react badly when something goes wrong?

Really?

I've not found it in any way miserable.

But then I tend to check-in online (no queue), be prepared at security (no ritual humiliation), travel with hand baggage only shorthaul (no extra charges).

Frankly you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Travelling by air is still a very enjoyable experience provided you are prepared - something years after the rules on liquids were introduced many people still are unbelievably unable to comply with.

People have reacted irrationally to delays since time immemorial - this is nothing new.

My terminology was over exaggerated (it has been a long day, my apologies). However, I'll respectfully disagree with your suggestion that (non-business class) air travel is an enjoyable experience these days. Some points:

- My partner is American so we invariably have to queue for a boarding pass stamp at a check in desk when flying Ryanair.
    - We do prepare for security. However the rules are different in different airports which means that we get it wrong sometimes. A few weeks ago one of the staff at BHX shouted at me for having the audacity to walk towards the metal detector before my bag had disappeared inside the X-ray.
    - We don't enjoy standing half way down stairs for periods of time before boarding and walking across the tarmac in the rain.
    - We don't enjoy the fact that we invariably get to listen to the announcements for half a dozen different flights while waiting at the gate for ours, many recited in thick accents that are barely comprehensible.
    - We don't enjoy being repeatedly barked at during boarding to stand in from the aisle (like we just haven't noticed yet...).
    - We don't enjoy the sales pitch in flight which is invariably at piercing volume.

Maybe I'm getting grumpy in my old age, but with fifty plus flights a year I long for a better class of service. Bah humbug.

My terminology was over exaggerated (it has been a long day, my apologies). However, I'll respectfully disagree with your suggestion that (non-business class) air travel is an enjoyable experience these days. Some points:

- My partner is American so we invariably have to queue for a boarding pass stamp at a check in desk when flying Ryanair.
    - We do prepare for security. However the rules are different in different airports which means that we get it wrong sometimes. A few weeks ago one of the staff at BHX shouted at me for having the audacity to walk towards the metal detector before my bag had disappeared inside the X-ray.
    - We don't enjoy standing half way down stairs for periods of time before boarding and walking across the tarmac in the rain.
    - We don't enjoy the fact that we invariably get to listen to the announcements for half a dozen different flights while waiting at the gate for ours, many recited in thick accents that are barely comprehensible.
    - We don't enjoy being repeatedly barked at during boarding to stand in from the aisle (like we just haven't noticed yet...).
    - We don't enjoy the sales pitch in flight which is invariably at piercing volume.

Maybe I'm getting grumpy in my old age, but with fifty plus flights a year I long for a better class of service. Bah humbug.

I still would contend that your security issues sound more like something out of your own making. Simply waiting till you get a nod from the person at the conveyor and then again from the staff member at the metal detector - that isn't exactly difficult frankly. I've never encountered issues like you seem to.

As for all your other issues, perhaps choose a different airline or airlines?

We are somewhat going off topic here.

My point was that the other poster said people were furious about the flight delay, and my point was that I would be pretty sure that the airline would be doing everything in their power to resolve it. People seem to expect technical issues to be resolved in an instant (be it on planes or trains) but that simply isn't always going to be possible.

We do live in an imperfect world and a little bit of patience and understanding goes a long way.

• Advertisement

My point was that the other poster said people were furious about the flight delay, and my point was that I would be pretty sure that the airline would be doing everything in their power to resolve it. People seem to expect technical issues to be resolved in an instant (be it on planes or trains) but that simply isn't always going to be possible.

I think the issue people had was with the response from Aer Lingus to the delay, not the delay itself. There were people who clearly were not going to make connections in London who were told they had to wait until they officially were not going to make flight on the other side before they would do anything (1 person I overheard was told to wait, even though at this stage it was ~1.5 hours to their flight in London and we still hadn't boarded).

There was also the piecemeal drip-drip of information and the apparent lack of understanding from (some, not all) of the staff.

Delays happen - yes. But you can manage your way around the bulk of the issues people have with a little bit of customer service which Aer Lingus seemed to miss out on.

We do live in an imperfect world and a little bit of patience and understanding goes a long way.

At last something we fully agree on :)

I think the issue people had was with the response from Aer Lingus to the delay, not the delay itself. There were people who clearly were not going to make connections in London who were told they had to wait until they officially were not going to make flight on the other side before they would do anything (1 person I overheard was told to wait, even though at this stage it was ~1.5 hours to their flight in London and we still hadn't boarded).

There was also the piecemeal drip-drip of information and the apparent lack of understanding from (some, not all) of the staff.

Delays happen - yes. But you can manage your way around the bulk of the issues people have with a little bit of customer service which Aer Lingus seemed to miss out on.

If an aircraft goes tech you are only going to get a drip-drip of information - it's like asking how long is a piece of string unfortunately.

The people in the airport will be relying on the engineers who frankly will be trying to fix the issue.

It's one of those difficult situations in life where unfortunately there isn't going to be an answer until the problem is actually fixed 90% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

I can side with you this one.
    I pass through security at 5 or six different airports every month. Each airport has its own specific rules and nuances, which are usually not displayed.

Is it tablets out or in?
    Jackets on or off?
    Shoes on or off?
    Electronic devices in a separate tray or not?

Often a question is met with a grumpy answer.
    Happened to me in Dublin recently. I asked the guy a question and he replied with a surly "you should know". I politely informed him that every airport has different rules, and if they don't display them, how am I supposed to know? And does he know the rules for JFK for instance?

BHX tends to be a particular one too. Never mind the fact that half the security personnel therel look like they just got back from the battlefield in Raqqa.

Advertisement