Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boyne Greenway?

Options
  • 05-09-2017 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭

Around the country greenways are proving extremely popular and attracting tourism. For exmaple the Royal Canal path in West Meath, the
    Waterford Greenway, the Great Western Greenway from Westport to Achill etc.

IrishGreenways.com seems to have a nice interactive map of existing/planned/proposed greenways.

http://www.irishgreenways.com/

Is there a Boyne Greenway plan/proposal anywhere? Surely there's a case to be made about expanding / connecting up the existing Ramparts on both directions along the length of Boyne from Irish Sea to Navan? There's already a tow-path in some shape or form, most of it is of it walkable if you are sufficiently motivated. I tried running along the path from Oldbridge towards Slane, and soon after the pillbox (I think) the path was almost blocked with fallen trees and and branches. I tried going at least up to the abandoned Glenmore house, but had to turn around as the path was only six inches wide, super muddy and slippery and every step send me sliding into nettles, which isn't pleasant when you are wearing running shorts.

We have the most amazing naturally scenic area right there, and it's really sad if there's no will to make an amazing greenway out of it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

would add from the rathmullen road down to the walkway going under the bridge. pretty much everyday I meet people running on that road and its very dangerous for them and the drivers because the bends are completely blind

I remember the proposed greenway from Drogheda to Mornington getting mentioned in recent times.

Here http://www.independent.ie/regionals/droghedaindependent/news/major-boost-as-consultants-confirmed-for-iconic-85km-boyneside-trail-project-from-mornington-to-drogheda-35375741.html

No idea if or how they plan on joining it with the existing one to old bridge, you have a horrible junction in it's current form to cross at the bridge in town there.

Be great for running and walking but for the bike it would be too short to start in Drogheda and go in either direction.

Have't been out beyond oldbridge for some time but what what positron said matches what I recall of being out that way. It would be fantastic if they extended the current one out towards Slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

You can volunteer to be part of the Boyne canal/walkway restoration here > http://boyne.iwai.ie/index.php

A very worthy cause!
    Planned events - 2017:

12th September: Monthly Meeting - Newgrange Lodge - 08:00pm
    23th September: - next workday - Oldbridge - 09:30am start,
    7th October: - next Workday - Oldbridge - 09:30am start and
    21th October : next Workday - Oldbridge - 09:30am start. Additional dates to be added over time or can be viewed here

I spotted in the Drogheda Independent earlier there's a meeting regarding the Mornington - Drogheda greenway on Wednesday in the Westcourt 19:30

Advertisement