Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower chord

Options
  • 05-09-2017 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey, the shower chord snapped and I bought a replacement and have fitted it no problem. However when I went to screw the front plate back onto the box (the bit attached to the wall) one of the screw housings snapped so now it's lose on one side. Can I just use some insulation tape to hold it together or should I buy a totally new box and get an electrician? It's in an en suite, with no window & only an extractor fan so there is probably a lot of condensation. Excuse the terminology but I'm a novice... TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

Dollyfin wrote:
    Hey, the shower chord snapped and I bought a replacement and have fitted it no problem. However when I went to screw the front plate back onto the box (the bit attached to the wall) one of the screw housings snapped so now it's lose on one side. Can I just use some insulation tape to hold it together or should I buy a totally new box and get an electrician? It's in an en suite, with no window & only an extractor fan so there is probably a lot of condensation. Excuse the terminology but I'm a novice... TIA

Get a registered electrician, the work you have already done is restricted works and has to be certified.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Dollyfin wrote:
    or should I buy a totally new box and get an electrician? It's in an en suite, with no window & only an extractor fan so there is probably a lot of condensation. Excuse the terminology but I'm a novice... TIA

I think that would be best, it's a 40 amp supply and you've have to reconnect it , you can't just tape up a box. Particularly a heavy shower connection that is under pressure from the pull cord. Its possible the damage was caused by the stress of pulling the cord

I hardly ever isolate my shower , there's a good case to make to leaving it on if the shower itself is switched.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dollyfin

Thanks guys, I got a sparks to put up a replacement box & cord so we're safe for another while. Appreciate the time for the replies!

Advertisement