Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you rotate tyres?

Options
  • 05-09-2017 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

Since the back tyre wears a lot faster than front so do you just change either with new as needed or do you switch front and back so they wear more evenly and then change both at same time?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Since the back tyre wears a lot faster than front so do you just change either with new as needed or do you switch front and back so they wear more evenly and then change both at same time?

Putting worn tyre up front is thought by some to be a bad idea as a front blowout will more likely lead to a nasty accident than a rear blowout. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

smacl wrote: »
    Putting worn tyre up front is thought by some to be a bad idea as a front blowout will more likely lead to a nasty accident than a rear blowout. Just a thought.

very good point and that's all I need to know here. Going to put the partially worn front tyre on back and brand new tyre on front then.

Thanks smacl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

How much do you have to wear a tyre out to raise the chance of a blowout?

I rotate tyres whenever I feel the rear has noticeably less rubber than the front one, but if the casing is cut or bulges, I simply get a new one.

No tyre-related accidents so far, fingers crossed, in 5+ years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Alek wrote: »
    How much do you have to wear a tyre out to raise the chance of a blowout?

I rotate tyres whenever I feel the rear has noticeably less rubber than the front one, but if the casing is cut or bulges, I simply get a new one.

No tyre-related accidents so far, fingers crossed, in 5+ years.

No idea, one blowout in seven years after hitting some flint in a light off road section and slicing the side wall. Put a boot in which got me home and replaced the tyre. I use old tyres on the turbo wheel which really drags the last out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Whats the point tho?

When the rear is done I replace the rear, when the front is done, I replace the front.

Occasionally I but I front with less TPI if i am being a bit of a tight ar3e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

The point is to save on shipping, buying 2 tyres at once. Also I like them to look equally worn, not a new and old one mixed.

one blowout in seven years after hitting some flint in a light off road section and slicing the side wall.

Hardly wear-related, innit? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Fair enough - I can be quite vain - but that's a step too far for even me!

Plus I still buy multiple tyres at once - I just only use them when I need to!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

No, I just replace the rear when its needed and leave the front until it needs replacing too. I have the same front tyre on one of my bikes for over 3 years but replaced the rear tyre twice in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

smacl wrote: »

Possibly a valid concern if you race or cycle in the Alps! But not really an issue for your average commuter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

If the tyres look worn it's time for a new bike :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

jamesd wrote: »
    If the tyres look worn it's time for a new bike :)

I showed this post to the Mrs. No dice. :(

I just replace each tyre as they wear.

I see no harm in rotating tyres every 1,000km or so to keep wear even but that would be just too much hassle for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I just don't see the point in rotating, surely it just makes as much sense to replace as needed. I typically buy tires two at a time but only replace the worn one?

I could be wrong but surely the cost is much the same and the hassle is far less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I buy tyres whenever there is a deal on so always (usually) have a spare to hand. I replace tyres as they are worn and couldn't be bothered rotating them, but I do prefer the look of two evenly worn (or new) tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

CramCycle wrote: »
    I just don't see the point in rotating, surely it just makes as much sense to replace as needed. I typically buy tires two at a time but only replace the worn one?

I could be wrong but surely the cost is much the same and the hassle is far less.
    100% agree - pointless exercise and you'll eventually end up going out with 2 worn tyres.

(Though I'm always envious of those who manage to actually wear out tyres I usually suffer some sort of life ending damage to the tyre long before it has worn out).
    I buy tyres whenever there is a deal on so always (usually) have a spare to hand. I replace tyres as they are worn and couldn't be bothered rotating them, but I do prefer the look of two evenly worn (or new) tyres.
    I do the same. I have a drawer full of tyres, chains, chainrings, cassettes, pedals, cleats, bidons etc. Always worth taking a look in the for sale section here also. I've picked up lots of new stuff still boxed from other Boardsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I usually would not put the worn one on the front, but I couldn't afford a new tyre at one stage, so I did take the constantly puncturing tyre from the rear and swap it with the one at the front. I got a good few months extra out of that tyre, until both front and back were puncturing every week, more or less.

I do think that putting the worn tyre at the front is a somewhat bad idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

100% agree - pointless exercise and you'll eventually end up going out with 2 worn tyres.
    To be fair, that depends on the rotation strategy, as it were. For example, I invariably (and I think like most people) wear out rear tyres a lot faster than front ones, and I'd sometimes (not always, by any means!) put the new tyre on the front, and the old front onto the rear. Were I to be consistent in doing that, I'll always have a more worn tyre on the back, and I'll never end up with 2 worn tyres, since the already worn one will be subject to a faster wear rate.
    (Though I'm always envious of those who manage to actually wear out tyres I usually suffer some sort of life ending damage to the tyre long before it has worn out).
    You and me both!
    I do the same. I have a drawer full of tyres, chains, chainrings, cassettes, pedals, cleats, bidons etc. Always worth taking a look in the for sale section here also. I've picked up lots of new stuff still boxed from other Boardsies.

I wish I had the space to do this. One day.....

Advertisement