Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Scotland

• 05-09-2017 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm just wondering if anyone could provide any insight on the matter.

My boyfriend and I are planning on moving to Scotland soon. It's something we've been planning for the past year now. Neither of us can find employment here in Ireland and we need somewhere new.

We've been applying for jobs every single day since July, if not earlier, and while we've gotten some feedback - my boyfriend in particular - it seems like it's not very possible to get a job without moving there first. Which makes sense, but we don't have too much savings to go over, sign a year lease and possibly not find work. We feel we would probably find work pretty fast, but it seems too risky. Also, it seems like we wouldn't be able to rent anywhere without having employment.

Can anyone shed some light on what the renting situation is like over there? I've been told that you need a UK bank account to rent, most of the time. Is it possible at all to rent without having employment straight away? It seems like it should be, like Ireland, Scotland is full of immigrants who would have arrived without employment.

Any information at all would be great, thank you in advance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

You might find a landlord who is more flexible if you're able to get in touch with one directly. Easier said than done though you will probably need to get lucky.

Going via the agencies if you don't have a good credit rating in the UK then you'll likely need a guarantor or be able to afford several months up front. When we moved over originally a few years back it was 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'd recommend finding a flat share in the first instance. Use it as a base to get sorted and move on from there.
    I moved 9 years ago and had to give 3 months up front, others said 6, others, again paid nothing up front when using agents.

Lloyds/TSB offer good accounts that are quick to setup for non UK residents just arrived.

What sort of fields do you work in?
    You might be able to get interviews lined up, you could use an agency too in this regard.
    If it's more regular work like retail or pubs, then you'd pick them up pretty instantly I'd say.

There's a Scotland forum too, you should get this moved there, it'll be easier to get more varied feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭afriendlyshark

Thanks guys, for the replies!

razorblunt, we have decided to flat share for the first while alright. We found a good website where some people will take couples, and for short term lets too. So we're close to getting somewhere for a month or 2 while looking for jobs.
    Thanks a million for the tip on banks, I'll definitely look into that.

My boyfriend just finished his masters in English so is looking for an office job of some kind, but is willing to work anywhere for the time being, especially in a cafe. I'm looking for retail work mostly, haven't been successful in finding long term work myself in Ireland at all so haven't a lot of experience myself but I am willing to work anywhere!

I actually skipped right past the Scotland forum, I saw UK and went straight to it, my bad! Thanks for all the tips :)

Advertisement