Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS excel problem

Options
  • 05-09-2017 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭

Hello. I am doing reports and i run a report on paypal then literally copy "paste special" to a spreadsheet

Works fine for euro denominations and i can auto sum the columns once I clean up the data

But when I do same with the pound or dollar it won't autosum for me.

Is there anything I can do to save me making 1000s of individual calculations.. Only difference between 're one that works and one that doesn't is the £ sign (Only difference I can see)

Any help would be great..

#stressed :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭mbradso2003

Check if any of values are in left side of cell, this indicates they are text and numbers - and auto sum may not work

Another option if highlight column and use text to columns option

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Check if any of values are in left side of cell, this indicates they are text and numbers - and auto sum may not work

Another option if highlight column and use text to columns option

Yes. They're all in the left

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You don't write the characters surely, they should be set in the display mode.
    Otherwise it's a mixture of text and number, which excel reads as gibberish.

Remove the typed currency symbols and then add them with formatting.

ELM327 wrote: »
    You don't write the characters surely, they should be set in the display mode.
    Otherwise it's a mixture of text and number, which excel reads as gibberish.

Remove the typed currency symbols and then add them with formatting.

The £ sign gets copied over from the paypal file. I can remove them but there's literally perhaps 8000 transactions so that's a lot of single clicking to remove each

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Use a formula, or better yet CTRL+H replace £ with nothing

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    Use a formula, or better yet CTRL+H replace £ with nothing

CTRL + H works

You have no idea how happy you just made me!!

Thanks so much!! :)

Advertisement