Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADHD Diagnosis

• 05-09-2017 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

We have been given a referral letter by our GP for an ADHD diagnosis for our daughter (4 yrs). I don't really know where to start. I understand that we could be waiting a long time to be seen publically.

I contacted HADD Ireland - and they sent me a list of psychiatrists / psychologists to contact about a private assessmet, but I'm not sure where to start. I contacted one clinic in South Dublin who charge €600 for the appointment/assessment - which would be a struggle for us to pay.

But I'm wondering - if she does get diagnosed with ADHD; what happens next?

Has anyone been through this, and if so I'd be interested to know what the process is?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 StarBrighte

Hi. Yes we have been through this process. We went privately when our son started junior infants. It cost us €450 in 2016. He was diagnosed with adhd and as a result of his diagnosis he gets resource hours in school. Because we went privately we were not entitled to s&l, OT, therapy, medication advice etc and as a result we are now going through the hse assessment of needs process. I also want a second opinion as I think there's more that adhd unfortunately. The assessment of needs takes about 12 to 13 months in North Dublin. We are 11 months in and our son has been assessed by a s&l therapist, OT and he has had his hearing checked all through the HSE. We are still waiting on his physiological assessment. I woukd advise a few routes....privately / AON through your local health nurse (u need to be very persistent) or get a refer from your GP for CAMH'S. I hope this helps. We are very new members of HADD and I have found them very helpful. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

We actually have an appointment this weekend with a psychologist for an assessment. Not sure whether we are overthinking it / looking for things that may not be there.

Our GP only gave us the referral letter at our request, as the GP doesn't really know the child or her personality.

Will see how we get on at the weekend and decide where to go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jackm25

The waiting lists for this are still completely rediculous. Does anyone know a private psychiatrist in dublin with a relatively short waiting list?

Advertisement