Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K gaming build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

With that budget you should be looking for a better monitor tbh. I'd want 144hz Min for that 1080ti.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

RossieMan wrote: »
    With that budget you should be looking for a better monitor tbh. I'd want 144hz Min for that 1080ti.

4k@144Hz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Inviere wrote: »
    4k@144Hz?

Exactly. A 1080Ti can barely manage 4K as it is, just about. I find it dips far below that on some games at ultra 4K, not even new games, even playing Wolfenstein recently (2014) at 4K it dips to 45-50fps at some points.

I have a 4K monitor and a 1080Ti, it's nice, but to be very honest, the visual difference between 1440P ultra and 4K ultra is not as big as you might expect - at least on a monitor, I do see a better difference when I play games on my TV (also 4K, but it's 50" which is quite a difference).

Your old setup would have been fine for 4K60, if you'd just upgraded to a 3770K. Ryzen is good value for money, but for gaming, offers zero benefit over older based Intel i7 platforms for 60hz gameplay.

But to answer your actual questions, your choices are perfectly sound. Lot of it comes down to personal preference.

I myself have a £35 Kolink 700w PSU powering my i7-7700/GTX1080Ti build and it's fine, very quiet, reliable, zero issues.

All depends on where you're willing to cut corners, it's a personal thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Misread the monitor version. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Exactly. A 1080Ti can barely manage 4K as it is, just about. I find it dips far below that on some games at ultra 4K, not even new games, even playing Wolfenstein recently (2014) at 4K it dips to 45-50fps at some points.

I have a 4K monitor and a 1080Ti, it's nice, but to be very honest, the visual difference between 1440P ultra and 4K ultra is not as big as you might expect - at least on a monitor, I do see a better difference when I play games on my TV (also 4K, but it's 50" which is quite a difference).

Your old setup would have been fine for 4K60, if you'd just upgraded to a 3770K. Ryzen is good value for money, but for gaming, offers zero benefit over older based Intel i7 platforms for 60hz gameplay.

But to answer your actual questions, your choices are perfectly sound. Lot of it comes down to personal preference.
    The answer to this one is simple though; run at 4k High (not Ultra) - you still get the benefit of higher pixel count, just without the random effects which overload the GPU/CPU.
    I myself have a £35 Kolink 700w PSU powering my i7-7700/GTX1080Ti build and it's fine, very quiet, reliable, zero issues.

All depends on where you're willing to cut corners, it's a personal thing.
    That... is terrible advice.
    "It hasn't caught fire yet" essentially.
    ============
    @OP
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W Gold is £85 on AmazonUK; in term of price/performance it would beat out that Seasonic Platinum (lovely as it is).

The Seasonic-made XFX XTR 650W Gold is also an option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    That... is terrible advice.
    "It hasn't caught fire yet" essentially.

It's not really. It's a fairly reliable 700w budget PSU - would I trust it to run at 600w continuously? Absolutely not, but I do trust it to deliver 4-500w reliably.

I've used about 30 of them so far and I haven't had an issue with any of them - the only PSU failures I've actually ever suffered (aside from the absolute crap brands like X-Power, CIT, Arctic, etc) are a Superflower and Corsair apiece, but that's only two failures out of maybe several hundred PSUs to date.

They are not dissimilar to other brands budget PSU's, like Corsair VS, EVGA white, etc, though they are a little uglier which cheap looking cables.

OCUK say they have the lowest return rate of all the PSUs they sell, partly could be explained by people not bothering returning them admittedly but again from experience I've used about 30 of them and zero issues.

Review here for example on the 500W core model.
    Although it’s not exactly nice to look at and the cables look outdated, the Kolink Core Series 500W power supply represents fantastic value and whether you’re a gamer, you are building a simple PC for the office or whatever your uses, it does offer an option to those looking to save a few quid. It has 80PLUS efficiency certification and in our limited testing, it doesn’t perform too badly so if you’re in the need for a sub £30 500W power supply, make sure you give this one a look in.

And from another review on the 700w core:
    The design, well being quite timid theirs not much to praise or criticize either way. A simple, clean and no-nonsense effort from Kolink, nothing shiny or unique to be seen, and if you are browsing the 50+ GBP market for a PSU, you won’t find anything like that anyway elsewhere. At the end of the day, its 700W Bronze rated PSU with ample cables, and good lengths for any build. The pricing is key, and you’ll save a fair amount by going for Kolink Vs the others. It’s in your hands, but we found the product to fantastic in every respect. With this all taken into account, it had to the VALUE AWARD

And another on the 500w core:
    This is what it all comes down to, the £27 price tag. This price is almost silly when you compare it to other power supplies of a similar wattage. For the money, you are getting a more than worthy PSU that offers some solid power for your system. Value is always subjective to the individual user but in this case, it has to be said that this PSU offers exceptional value for the money. Kolink has done a great job at targeting the budget friendly gamer and offering them a product on which they can rely, great job Kolink!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It's not really. It's a fairly reliable 700w budget PSU - would I trust it to run at 600w continuously? Absolutely not, but I do trust it to deliver 4-500w reliably.

I've used about 30 of them so far and I haven't had an issue with any of them - the only PSU failures I've actually ever suffered (aside from the absolute crap brands like X-Power, CIT, Arctic, etc) are a Superflower and Corsair apiece, but that's only two failures out of maybe several hundred PSUs to date.

They are not dissimilar to other brands budget PSU's, like Corsair VS, EVGA white, etc, though they are a little uglier which cheap looking cables.

OCUK say they have the lowest return rate of all the PSUs they sell, partly could be explained by people not bothering returning them admittedly but again from experience I've used about 30 of them and zero issues.

Review here for example on the 500W core model.

And from another review on the 700w core:

And another on the 500w core:
    To quote another poster elsewhere: I only trust reviews from electrical engineers (done with full test equipment).

Same way I trust hardware reviews from GamersNexus & DigitalFoundry over all others, since they look for frametimes & 1%/0.1% lows.

Advertisement