Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids football coming onto driveway

Options
  • 05-09-2017 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I am having issues with kids from all over my estate and from other estates playing soccer in a small patch of grass right in front of my house despite there being a MASSIVE green area to the left that is away from any houses. The ball is CONSTANTLY coming in, I mean in a space of 40 minutes last night it came in 4 times. Its hitting my car, windows etc and is only a matter of time before they break something. These kids are anywhere from 7 to 13. I only know one kid (neighbours kid) who we've had limited, polite conversation with, I believe they are the ones who put the soccer posts up. My issue is if one of them damages my car, breaks a window etc who will pay for it? I am 6 months with my first baby and I am at my wits end with terrible anxiety over this, we cannot afford repairs with a baby coming. After weeks of politely asking the kids to be more careful, move the posts away from our house my husband gave out to them Friday. The neighbour came belting the door down saying they are only kids, its only a ball etc etc. The kids did temporarily move the posts to the opposite side of the green but its now migrated back in front of our house and is coming in again. Another issue is these random kids are coming onto my driveway to retrieve the ball, I don't like people on my property plus if they hurt themselves I am liable. This could all be resolved if they just move the post away from our house or to the large green. The kids are now making me feel very uncomfortable in my own home especially when I am there alone, staring at me when I pull up to my driveway and generally being intimidating. I don't know what to do, I am losing sleep over this. Any ideas welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Is there actual goal post or are they using your pillars?
    Can u make it less attractive for them? Park car where they use as part of their "pitch"?
    I'm sorry you're having this issue, esp if you've tried reason with them? Most kids will understand.. I was 1 of those annoying kids playing soccer on the road but once some1 explained their prob we'd move on to the pillars of 1 of our parents houses.
    Off topic!! But nice to know kids are playing ball outside and not via fifa

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

The kids just won't understand your anxiety and will say, sure we're only playing. It's natural for them. The only way to prevent it would be to park the car blocking them as suggested. There's prob a reason they play there rather than on the green. When I was growing up doing the exact same thing, it was because the green was always littered with broken glass, rubbish and burnt marks from robbed cars etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Apologies , reread post and seems nothing is focused towards your house. Doubt there's much you can do, only kids playing on a grassy area. Reason with them is your only hope I'd say.
    I broke a window of a neighbours years ago, And my parents paid for it.. not sure if they were legally responsible and just not ****heads

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MrsSBG

Yawns wrote: »
    The kids just won't understand your anxiety and will say, sure we're only playing. It's natural for them. The only way to prevent it would be to park the car blocking them as suggested. There's prob a reason they play there rather than on the green. When I was growing up doing the exact same thing, it was because the green was always littered with broken glass, rubbish and burnt marks from robbed cars etc.

Hi Yawns, thanks for the reply. They are playing on a small green area that's right in front of my house and our driveway is quiet long as the car parked sideways wont block all of it. The other green is perfect, kept cut by the council and no rubbish etc, its a good estate.

tupenny wrote: »
    Apologies , reread post and seems nothing is focused towards your house. Doubt there's much you can do, only kids playing on a grassy area. Reason with them is your only hope I'd say.
    I broke a window of a neighbours years ago, And my parents paid for it.. not sure if they were legally responsible and just not ****heads

Hey Tupenny,

Thanks for the reply. Its actual goalposts that my next door neighbour bought and put there. I know the parents of one child, all the others are from all over the estate and some from other estates so I don't know their parents or where they live. So if my car is damaged or a window broken I will have no idea who to go to about paying for it to be fixed. Plus at times there is approx. 15 kids so I would have no idea for sure which actually kicked the ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Allinall

OP, bribery works wonders with kids, and you'll get a lot of respect off them.

It doesn't take much.

Explain in simple terms your anxiety, and offer to buy them a new football , or a once off case of minerals etc.

It should be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

MrsSBG wrote: »
    Hey Tupenny,

Thanks for the reply. Its actual goalposts that my next door neighbour bought and put there. I know the parents of one child, all the others are from all over the estate and some from other estates so I don't know their parents or where they live. So if my car is damaged or a window broken I will have no idea who to go to about paying for it to be fixed. Plus at times there is approx. 15 kids so I would have no idea for sure which actually kicked the ball

So your next door neighbour bought goalposts and put them in front of your house? Nice. You need to talk to him / her first.

professore wrote: »
    So your next door neighbour bought goalposts and put them in front of your house? Nice. You need to talk to him/her first.

Agreed.
    After weeks of politely asking the kids to be more careful, move the posts away from our house my husband gave out to them Friday. The neighbour came belting the door down saying they are only kids, its only a ball etc etc.

The kids aren't your problem, is this the same neighbour who bought the goalposts??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Is the neighbour who bought the posts the same one who called? I'd be having a chat with him.
    Why choose outside your drive? Why call to your house and speak in a confrontational way instead of trying to see your point of view?

Bullies come in all shapes sizes and ages and his behaviour is bordering on questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Can you actually reason with these kids?
    On my street there live a few kids all between 7 and 10 and they are out and about the whole afternoon, including my own son. All these kids are very polite and the parents taught them on how to behave. They sometimes play Tip the can with the lamp post right in front of my house and because of that are sometimes running around in my front garden. If they are getting a bit to wild, a word is enough and they'll stop. If you talk to them in a nice way and maybe tell them that you or the baby needs a lot of sleep and the playing wakes you they're usually going to understand. Maybe have a short word with the neighbors too and explain your situation. If they are not complete bollixes it'll help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Please don't take this wrong ,but have you spoken to your gp about your anxiety , worrying about essentially what could happen if a ball hits a car or house especially when pregnant could leave you with high blood pressure ,( put you first)
    Essentially your dealing with kids they aren't picking on or targeting you they are playing ball and not causing any problems in there mind ,
    Try asking them not to let the ball come into especially as your pregnant and it's stressful for you the older kids might have a bit of cop on and move on ,

Apologies might have read Wrong are you pregnant or do you have a 6 month old

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Quick question OP - would the "big patch of grass" be closer to the family providing and installing the goalposts than the place they're playing on right now is? If that's the case, these goalposts will keep reappearing near your property...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I wouldn't under any circumstances try to tell the kids to leave, or reason with them, or anything. Kids can be f*ckers. If they see you in a certain light you'll be running a gauntlet of insults and sniggers every time you go in or out of the house, your doorbell being rang with nobody there, and even stones being thrown at your house. Once that begins, it might never stop. You'll be nostalgic for the days when a football going into the garden was your only problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Honestly, this can go either way. OP stated she lives in a nice estate. Therefore I assume it's reasonably quiet and that also because the kids were taught some manners. You can reason with children like that and they'd usually understand, especially in that age range.
    If the whole lot of kids is full of sh1te then the place might not be so grand after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Don't let them see you are getting annoyed by them, don't let your husband go giving out to them and honestly just ignore them.

Otherwise you could be dealing with them for a long long time.
    You will be the go to house for a bit of fun in the evenings when they are bored.

Make friends with them quick :-)
    If you or your husband is in garden or see the ball the next time it comes in go out and hand them the ball back and make a joke or run over and dribble the ball into the net.

Might sound dramatic but your child could suffer later on when they are older if the group get a set on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭painauchocolat

Don't forget that it will soon be cold, wet and dark. They'll all be indoors most evenings within a month. By the time next summer rolls around, they'll all be a year older and friendship groups might have moved on /interests changed. I appreciate that it's driving you mad now, but it will settle down quite soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Its actual goalposts that my next door neighbour bought and put there.
    Maybe get your husband to put the goalposts in front of their house?

As said, don't make an enemy of the kids. Winter is coming, and once it gets dark, they'll be ringing your doorbell for the craic if you're the enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Another vote for getting your husband out to move the goal posts. Your neighbour is a cheeky git for putting posts outside your house - they know full well what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I would go out ever night and drag them away.

Srsly though, have a chat with the neighbour. Unless they are a complete thick they won't object to you moving them.

UPDATE: Tried talking to neighbors and they just got really rude and obnoxious, they are absolute dicks. I am at my wits end now and can't stop crying.

• Advertisement

I would go out ever night and drag them away.

Srsly though, have a chat with the neighbour. Unless they are a complete thick they won't object to you moving them.

Tried talking to them tonight and they just got rude and abnoxious, just made things worse. They won't listen to reason

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Quick question OP - would the "big patch of grass" be closer to the family providing and installing the goalposts than the place they're playing on right now is? If that's the case, these goalposts will keep reappearing near your property...

The larger green area is further away, the small green area is right in front of thier and my houses.

Gatling wrote: »
    Please don't take this wrong ,but have you spoken to your gp about your anxiety , worrying about essentially what could happen if a ball hits a car or house especially when pregnant could leave you with high blood pressure ,( put you first)
    Essentially your dealing with kids they aren't picking on or targeting you they are playing ball and not causing any problems in there mind ,
    Try asking them not to let the ball come into especially as your pregnant and it's stressful for you the older kids might have a bit of cop on and move on ,

Apologies might have read Wrong are you pregnant or do you have a 6 month old

Hi Gatling

Yes I am 6 months pregnant. I haven't spoken to my GP yet, but will do. I know my anxiety is 'over reacting' but I just hate tension like this, wreaks my head.

Well the neighbours know I'm pregnant and don't care! Charming! I've no idea what to do now :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

The larger green area is further away, the small green area is right in front of thier and my houses.

Who owns the green area? Is it waste ground or owned by council?

Agreed.

The kids aren't your problem, is this the same neighbour who bought the goalposts??

Yep same neighbour. Tried to talk to them tonight calmly and politely and they just got obnoxious and rude! Was shocked!

irishmoss wrote: »
    Who owns the green area? Is it waste ground or owned by council?

It's the Councils

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

It's the Councils

Maybe ring them and ask for a no football sign? We have a small green area which is a square area with houses on one side only and there is no football allowed. I do think that amount of children too in a small area unreasonable. I wouldn't like that amount of noise outside my house either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Do they leave the goal post out? It would be a shame if they were stolen during the night or something...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't think the issue is entirely with where the kids are playing. Just the location of that goal being inline with the op's property. It seems unfortunate that the guy who got it is being unreasonable. You'll have to be too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Burst the ball. Problem solved

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement