Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids football coming onto driveway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MrsSBG

irishmoss wrote: »
    Maybe ring them and ask for a no football sign? We have a small green area which is a square area with houses on one side only and there is no football allowed. I do think that amount of children too in a small area unreasonable. I wouldn't like that amount of noise outside my house either.

Thanks Irishmoss, I will speak to the council. I think a no football sign would be perfect. The noise is def an issue too as we planned to have the nursery at the front room but worry now about the hollering and screaming waking her or keeping her awake.

Autochange wrote: »
    Burst the ball. Problem solved

Snap, was just about to post that. Keep it or burst it they won't be long going elsewhere.

If the neighbour comes over again tell him to f off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Snap, was just about to post that. Keep it or burst it they won't be long going elsewhere.

I used to kick my football and hit the hurling ball into the neighbors by accident years ago. Used knock on the door and she would give them back. Eventually she got pissed off with this and started to give them to her dog. I stopped playing near her garden after that. Simple

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

Some people are just so unreasonable when it comes to their "precious" kids, and can't see any problem from the other side, really feel for you OP esp being pregnant, stress you could def do without
    You shouldn't have to do this but is there an option of installing a tall fence so the ball can't come into your garden? And the kids can't come in after it if it did? If they can't get the ball back easily they might stop kicking it in that direction

NutmegGirl wrote: »
    Some people are just so unreasonable when it comes to their "precious" kids, and can't see any problem from the other side, really feel for you OP esp being pregnant, stress you could def do without
    You shouldn't have to do this but is there an option of installing a tall fence so the ball can't come into your garden? And the kids can't come in after it if it did? If they can't get the ball back easily they might stop kicking it in that direction

I doubt we'd get planning to be honest as all the houses have the same 'open plan' driveway :-( I would love a wall or fence to be honest, would feel safer. Total pain :-(

• Advertisement

I don't think the issue is entirely with where the kids are playing. Just the location of that goal being inline with the op's property. It seems unfortunate that the guy who got it is being unreasonable. You'll have to be too.

Your spot on Dravokivich, I've no problem there playing on the green just that the goals are right in front of our driveway so the ball in constantly coming in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

MrsSBG wrote: »
    Your spot on Dravokivich, I've no problem there playing on the green just that the goals are right in front of our driveway so the ball in constantly coming in.

Can the goals be moved?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

If you go out guns blazing you just antagonise people. Even if you are right people's pride will not let them change their behaviour. Kids are rebellious aswell.

You are best off to try earn their respect and get on their side.

What I would do is have your husband go out and play a game with them. Afterwards, say lads I know you're just playing soccer, and I was the same when I was younger. Ye have good skills to be fair. Make a few jokes. Say problem is if you play here, you might hit cars or people's doors and you know those f#ckers in the council, soccer could end up being barred altogether. To be fair, I don't want your parents to have to be paying for car repairs or you getting in trouble because I know you're only getting a game of soccer. You're best off to play over on that green, you'll have more space to get on the end of a cross. Point to one of the kids and say that's his weakness there, he can't cope with a bullet header off the long ball.

Sell the idea.

I am 100% with you because it would drive me mad aswell, but you need to get on their side and get their respect, even though behind it all you'd like to get them a kick in the hole or chin their smart arse parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I've no idea what to do now :-(

Easier said than done but maybe nothing? It's not malicious and the likelihood of anything being broke by and errand ball is minimal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭mezzz

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Easier said than done but maybe nothing? It's not malicious and the likelihood of anything being broke by and errand ball is minimal.

Havv you tried closing the gates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭surrender monkey

Had this problem years ago.... the kids quickly escalated to lashing the balls off my door, car and windows. They were kicking my door repeatedly and ringing the bells there were literal swarms of the feral feckers in my garden everyday. Guards were no use "sure it's only kids playing". Life was miserable so I did a bit of out of the box thinking. I requested the council to take the grass area off the grass cutting schedule due to the anti social behaviour of the little angels. The area went to meadow and ye couldn't kick a ball more than a few inches in it now. It's unsightly but the peace is amazing! Jobs oxo! Surrender monkey 1 feral feckers 0

P.s if it was me I would do a Paul Daniels on those goals and make em dissappear.... what are they made of op?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

mezzz wrote: »
    Havv you tried closing the gates

It's not me, but the OP has no gates.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's not me, but the OP has no gates.

Exactly. You got it all in one

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You are going. to become that neighbour

We all remember them as kids

Ride it out

• Registered Users Posts: 41 brendane

OP, Did you grow up in a housing estate. This is part and parcel of living so close to neighbours and trying to control others behaviours or activities not on your property is never going to work.

I was one of those kids about 20 years ago and can see their point of view. They are simply playing football. I wouldn't think they are trying to intimidate you but probably know you are trying to stop them playing football. Kids playing football is a lot better than kids just hanging around with no interest in anything.

Also, some of your worry seems to be about damage to your property and if it's any consolation it's very doubtful that a 10 year old would cause any damage anyway and probably not break any windows.

The only thing that i would do in such a situation is to say to the lads when the ball comes in first is to be careful and throw them the ball back and then I'd hang around outside, maybe chat to a neighbour or on the phone or clean out the car. The kids will be more careful seeing you there and if it comes in again you can get a bit thick. They will either move elsewhere or adjust there game so not too interfere with you.

Autochange wrote: »
    Can the goals be moved?

Yes,that's all we want but the neighbours just get abusive when we try to speak to them, they are being totally unreasonable. Plus I am pretty sure some of the older kids from outside the estate are purposefully kicking the ball in so moving the goals will prob make no difference

brendane wrote: »
    OP, Did you grow up in a housing estate. This is part and parcel of living so close to neighbours and trying to control others behaviours or activities not on your property is never going to work.

I was one of those kids about 20 years ago and can see their point of view. They are simply playing football. I wouldn't think they are trying to intimidate you but probably know you are trying to stop them playing football. Kids playing football is a lot better than kids just hanging around with no interest in anything.

Also, some of your worry seems to be about damage to your property and if it's any consolation it's very doubtful that a 10 year old would cause any damage anyway and probably not break any windows.

The only thing that i would do in such a situation is to say to the lads when the ball comes in first is to be careful and throw them the ball back and then I'd hang around outside, maybe chat to a neighbour or on the phone or clean out the car. The kids will be more careful seeing you there and if it comes in again you can get a bit thick. They will either move elsewhere or adjust there game so not too interfere with you.

Hi Brendane,

I didn't grow up on an estate no, my husband did. I am not trying to stop them playing football, I've no problem with that. I Just want them to move the goalposts to the other side of the green to stop the ball coming in. Over the last few weeks we have gone out and asked them multiple times to be more careful, move the posts but get ignored. It escalated to my husband giving out to them and then the parents got involved

Had this problem years ago.... the kids quickly escalated to lashing the balls off my door, car and windows. They were kicking my door repeatedly and ringing the bells there were literal swarms of the feral feckers in my garden everyday. Guards were no use "sure it's only kids playing". Life was miserable so I did a bit of out of the box thinking. I requested the council to take the grass area off the grass cutting schedule due to the anti social behaviour of the little angels. The area went to meadow and ye couldn't kick a ball more than a few inches in it now. It's unsightly but the peace is amazing! Jobs oxo! Surrender monkey 1 feral feckers 0

P.s if it was me I would do a Paul Daniels on those goals and make em dissappear.... what are they made of op?

The father (neighbour) mows the grass on the small green so unfortunately telling the council to stop mowing it will make no difference Im afraid, thanks anyway. The goals are just like hard plastic, very light.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 twiddletwaddle

I can't advise you on whether or not you are allowed to put up a fixed gate on your driveway, perhaps some one else can, what about making a freestanding driveway fence.

Type, freestanding driveway fence, into google and search images, If you make it sturdy enough the ball should bounce off. Might be a bit of a pain to move in your current condition, perhaps it could have wheels underneath.

Maybe you might need a ground anchor point to secure it in place, to stop kids messing lifting it away.

Are the balls coming in at height or along the ground?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

The father (neighbour) mows the grass on the small green so unfortunately telling the council to stop mowing it will make no difference Im afraid, thanks anyway. The goals are just like hard plastic, very light.

Where does the neighbour live and why does he cut the grass? Has he taken ownership of it?

• Advertisement

irishmoss wrote: »
    Where does the neighbour live and why does he cut the grass? Has he taken ownership of it?

The neighbour lives right next door, I presume he cuts the grass so his kid can play there. No it's still under the councils ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

It annoys me to read posts where people are advocating make friends with these kids and that will solve the problem.
    Crap. If the parents aren't reasonable these kids aren't likely to be either. Monkey see monkey do.

If the green is council property then maybe approaching them is the next step.
    Everyone should be entitled to live in their home in peace. And the kids will be kids argument doesn't wash.

If it was my kids, no way would I allow them to have their games interfere with someone else or their property. The fact that these parents won't even co wider the Op' s point of view shows how unreaso able and bullish they are.

My sympathies to you op. If these kids are allowed behave like this now, you'll be on here in their teenage years when they up the annoying and argivating stakes considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭BabyWillis

Go out one night and dig a load of holes on the small green and donate the goal posts to a neighbouring estate.

The neighbour lives right next door, I presume he cuts the grass so his kid can play there. No it's still under the councils ownership.

sorry i didn't realise you have no gates,

then why don't you go out and set up a football tournament, divide them into team a and team b,

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

Make the area less attractive to play on.
    Maybe plant trees on the grass...
    Park in the way...
    It would be awful if a dog as sh*t on the pitch.
    Wouldn't it be terrible if you left you hose on and the grass got waterlogged, or if all the grass died and it went all muddy....
    Play some **** music out the window for them...
    Get a sonic anti-loitering device and turn it on when they're too close to your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

If the goalposts were moved, would that just result in the ball being kicked into someone else's garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Do you own or rent the house OP?

One of the neighbours never gave our balls back. So someone would have to jump over their wall and get the ball back. Looking back, the house was seen as a target.
    Yes,that's all we want but the neighbours just get abusive when we try to speak to them
    The neighbour lives right next door
    Then move the goal posts without speaking to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

Put up gates if it upsets you that much. I wouldn't bother with moving the goals, talking to the to parents etc, all likely to add to your anxiety. You can't control their behaviour or reactions, do something that's within your control. They are kids playing, there are going to be lots of things they do over the years that bother you.

Edited to say - we also had open plan driveway but lots of neighbours but up walls. Quick call to council should give you answer. Hedge might do the job either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Mod Note

Keep it civil and constructive. No advise on breaking the law. Cards will be issued for such posts.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Do you own or rent the house OP?

One of the neighbours never gave our balls back. So someone would have to jump over their wall and get the ball back. Looking back, the house was seen as a target.

Then move the goal posts without speaking to them.

We own the house Syco, bought it 2 years ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement