If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amplifier and floorstander speakers

Options
  • 05-09-2017 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Looking for a middle of the road setup for my apartment. The room isn't big, about 6x3m, not much soundproofing on walls. Mainly would be used with tv, listening online (music, movies), I don't have any cd, vinyl players, etc.

So the floorstander speakers should be compact(ish) and provide nice sound on low and medium volume, want a balanced system where the bass won't kill the high and medium frequency. I know size matters in relation to speakers. Hope this is possible without paying an arm and a leg for it.

As for the amplifier I don't have much requirements (I'm not sure whether are they able to source audio from HDMI these days?) I want a solid one with no fancy things but good performance.

I put the budget at €500 for starting. Any recommendations? Thank you!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

padyjoe wrote: »
    Looking for a middle of the road setup for my apartment. The room isn't big, about 6x3m, not much soundproofing on walls. Mainly would be used with tv, listening online (music, movies), I don't have any cd, vinyl players, etc.

So the floorstander speakers should be compact(ish) and provide nice sound on low and medium volume, want a balanced system where the bass won't kill the high and medium frequency. I know size matters in relation to speakers. Hope this is possible without paying an arm and a leg for it.

As for the amplifier I don't have much requirements (I'm not sure whether are they able to source audio from HDMI these days?) I want a solid one with no fancy things but good performance.

I put the budget at €500 for starting. Any recommendations? Thank you!
    Hi padyjoe,

For what you are looking to do I would recommend a pair of floorstanders with an AV receiver. An AV receiver will take HDMI inputs from Blu Ray players or game consoles as well as other digital inputs. I would start off looking at the Denon AVRX540BT at 279.99 Euro:

http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202670-avrx540bt.aspx

This amp has 4 HDMI inputs as well as Bluetooth connectivity as well.

For speakers I would recommend something like the Q Acoustics 2050is. These pack a lot of punch and are quite large speakers but at a great price at the moment 349.99. It does bring you slightly above budget but this would be the best sounding set up for the pric.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Thanks for getting back David!

I've noticed you've a slightly marked 2050i in your open box sale. Would be good to know what condition are the speakers in and what is that small mark? And as for AV receiver is there much difference between AVR-X520BT and 540BT? I'm not sure about whether you still have them both. 
    I'd need some cables as well to connect the speakers. To be honest I'm coming from small speakers, so anything larger will be a big change to me. And if you stand over your open box and mail returns, I've see no problems of getting them.
    Thank you!

Thanks for getting back David!

I've noticed you've a slightly marked 2050i in your open box sale. Would be good to know what condition are the speakers in and what is that small mark? And as for AV receiver is there much difference between AVR-X520BT and 540BT? I'm not sure about whether you still have them both. 
    I'd need some cables as well to connect the speakers. To be honest I'm coming from small speakers, so anything larger will be a big change to me. And if you stand over your open box and mail returns, I've see no problems of getting them.
    Thank you!
    Hi Paeyjoe.

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

Unfortunately the 2050's from the open box list have been snapped up.

We do still have them brand new priced at £299.00 - I could squeeze to £280 on a new pair if that helps.

The AVRX520 is now finished and totally sold out. So it would have to be the 540 to go for.
    Currently priced at £249.00. I could do this for £220 along with the speakers.
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202670-avrx540bt.aspx

If you are looking something a little cheaper Tannoy have the Eclipse two priced at £129.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202697-eclipse-two.aspx

Let me know what you think.

I like the speakers Kenny. Undecided on the AVR though. I wonder how much it'd be if I got a stereo AVR (won't have home cinema) like the Onkyo A9010 or similar? Cheers!

I like the speakers Kenny. Undecided on the AVR though. I wonder how much it'd be if I got a stereo AVR (won't have home cinema) like the Onkyo A9010 or similar? Cheers!
    Hey Padyjoe.

The A9010 is a cracking stereo amp but I feel the AVRX540 is still much better.

Only down side is there are no digital inputs so if connecting your TV you would either need a digital to analogue converter or for you TV to have phono outs (Which is very very rare).

Very few stereo amps have digital connections.

• Advertisement

Ok, thanks!. :-)
    I'm willing to sacrifice the HDMI inputs as well. It comes in a smaller form factor, looks simple enough as well. To start off I reckon I'd be happy enough with the Onkyo as well.
    At least if I don't get on it'll be a reason to upgrade to Denon. ;-)

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

No problem Padyjoe - just give us a shout if you would like to order - lots of both available from stock - we have even got the Q Acoustic 2050i back in stock ( exclusively) in the Gloss White finish and we can do those for you at just £329 inc delivery if you were interested ( They look amazing!)

Thanks as ever,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

I'm grateful for your comments, for you, obviously, it's not a good thing me going for the cheaper option but I'd like to have a simple setup first.
    I'll be happy with darker colour at a reduced price as well. Does I need cables as well or the speakers come with them?
    Could you, guys, give me a total on the full package delivered, please? And I'll do the thinking. Thank you!

I'm grateful for your comments, for you, obviously, it's not a good thing me going for the cheaper option but I'd like to have a simple setup first.
    I'll be happy with darker colour at a reduced price as well. Does I need cables as well or the speakers come with them?
    Could you, guys, give me a total on the full package delivered, please? And I'll do the thinking. Thank you!
    Hi Padyjoe.

The speakers do not come with any cable at all unfortunately.... How many meters would you require? Speaker cable starts from £1 per meter.

For the 2050i and the A9010 I could offer at £470 including delivery.

All in stock and ready to go.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.