Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working as a self employed carer?

Options
  • 05-09-2017 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

After 5 years of working for agencies I am starting to wonder why do I not just go it alone. Has anyone here tried to build up clients of their own and how did it go? I see no reason why it shouldn't be possible, is there any?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No reason at all ... you will have to sort your own books, tax etc. You will have to have some sort of public liability insurance. You will have to make arrangements for when you want a week off, or get sick. You will have to collect references / recommendations and look for new clients. You will have to also make arrangements for when a client needs two carers. You will have to be tough about collecting money owed to you, and be prepared to badger someone (hopefully not the client) when they don't pay. You won't be able to use the 'you will have to talk to the office' when people are being unreasonable.

On the other hand there are lots of people who would like to make private arrangements so maybe it would be worth a shot.

Advertisement