Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remember that dead homeless man people were concerned about? Turns out he was a nonce

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

You are one sad sad person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

He was a paedo, hope he died roaring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Have we nobody doing background checks on people arriving in this country?

Would someone be let into Australia with that record?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

There's a joke in there somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

osarusan wrote: »
    You are one sad sad person.

Why is the op a sad person?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The Culture of spin doctoring can be thanked....highlighting issues by using the big poignant media moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Wasn't he deported from Aussie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

He indecent assaulted two young girls, intentionally gave someone HIV and amassed 40 court convictions. I think we can cancel the charity concert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

His face is so familiar

But the issue of homelessness is entirely different to judging the merits of anyone who has to live like that. In the sense that I don't assume that anyone who is homeless is particularly good or bad. And for those who died, the revelation that they were a saint or a scumbag makes no difference to my take on the issue, which is that it's a depressing end for anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

But the issue of homelessness is entirely different to judging the merits of anyone who has to live like that. In the sense that I don't assume that anyone who is homeless is particularly good or bad. And for those who died, the revelation that they were a saint or a scumbag makes no difference to my take on the issue, which is that it's a depressing end for anyone.

Unfortunately people do judge people who end up homeless as deserving to do so.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Two other homeless women died last week too, better not pull the knob off yourself too hard over this one in case it turns out they were wrong'uns too and you get another to jizz all over basic human empathy because you think it proves some kind of a point about some bullshít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Reason why I never jump on the sympathy bandwagon. Always wait for the full facts to come out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well I guess this is proof for the OP that there is no housing crisis at all.

Reason why I never jump on the sympathy bandwagon. Always wait for the full facts to come out.

But only if you're judging them as a person. For example, if I heard someone died in a tragic accident, I can say it was a tragic accident, it is completely divorced from the question as to whether they were a good or bad person.

Nobody deserves to die on the streets, I wouldn't even leave an animal lying in the street to take their last breaths. But I think people on the street need far more help than just a house. Look at Johnathon Corry, uproar because he died outside Leinster house and that Enda Kenny should be ashamed of himself but it was actually a heroin overdose that killed him.

I would have got my bus from the quays/westmoreland street a good bit and it was a regular occurance to see people passed out, or actually selling methadone openingly along that stretch.

From working in the city centre for years, seeing people on the street and offering to buy them tea or food, 9 times out of 10 they wanted money and some could be quite aggressive if you showed any sympathy whatsoever. I remember one man hounding me and being quite pushy for 4 euro for insulin as he was diabetic when I asked if he wanted tea. I wouldn't give him cash and when I brought back his tea he was quite intimidating for "just four euro".

There's lots of reasons people are on the streets and until those reasons are acknowledged and have an appropriate care system in place giving them social housing is not going to make their lives much better.

Dublin City centre is one of the worst cities I've ever seen for drugs and I've been around. It's disgusting walking down o Connell street seeing people out of their box doing squats from too much gear. People passed out in doorways, nodding off on the Luas, that laneway down by jervis seems to be always full of them.

The city centre is like the walking dead, and no amount of flats or apartments will change that.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Well I guess this is proof for the OP that there is no housing crisis at all.

And a bunch of buskers taking over a building didn't solve it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

It's no longer a pre requisite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Ipso wrote: »

Briefly raised their own public profile, mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

First time poster, what have you got to say on the matter...

At least he picked a good name this time. Have to "admire" posters who are too chickensh*t to just say what they want on their main profile so they make a new one.

• Advertisement

If only someone hadn't offered him a room in their house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/rough-sleeper-found-dead-in-dublin-was-registered-sex-offender

Like the debacle of Apollo House, this is another case of virtue signalling gone horribly wrong.

You must be delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Two other homeless women died last week too, better not pull the knob off yourself too hard over this one in case it turns out they were wrong'uns too and you get another to jizz all over basic human empathy because you think it proves some kind of a point about some bullsh

I'll be getting carpal tunnel at this rate

You must be delighted.

Why?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Posts by and responses to rereg troll deleted.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Nobody deserves to die on the streets, I wouldn't even leave an animal lying in the street to take their last breaths. But I think people on the street need far more help than just a house. Look at Johnathon Corry, uproar because he died outside Leinster house and that Enda Kenny should be ashamed of himself but it was actually a heroin overdose that killed him.

I would have got my bus from the quays/westmoreland street a good bit and it was a regular occurance to see people passed out, or actually selling methadone openingly along that stretch.

From working in the city centre for years, seeing people on the street and offering to buy them tea or food, 9 times out of 10 they wanted money and some could be quite aggressive if you showed any sympathy whatsoever. I remember one man hounding me and being quite pushy for 4 euro for insulin as he was diabetic when I asked if he wanted tea. I wouldn't give him cash and when I brought back his tea he was quite intimidating for "just four euro".

There's lots of reasons people are on the streets and until those reasons are acknowledged and have an appropriate care system in place giving them social housing is not going to make their lives much better.

Dublin City centre is one of the worst cities I've ever seen for drugs and I've been around. It's disgusting walking down o Connell street seeing people out of their box doing squats from too much gear. People passed out in doorways, nodding off on the Luas, that laneway down by jervis seems to be always full of them.

The city centre is like the walking dead, and no amount of flats or apartments will change that.

This fella did, a nonces life is worth less than an animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

So do you give reserved judgement cards out at funerals?

“I might be sorry to hear you died... in about 6 months”

Must be a great feeling knowing you’re right after a person dies to go around telling people you knew it all along

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

He was a paedo, hope he died roaring.

Let the paedo bashing bandwagon begin rolling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

There would not be too many people defending a paedo to be fair. Lowest of the low.

• Advertisement

This fella did, a nonces life is worth less than an animals.

There's not much lower than a paedo, or someone who deliberately would infect another with HIV, ill give you that. I personally don't think they should ever see the light of day for those crimes but I'd stop short of leaving them to die on the streets

What do you expect in all fairness?

Why, do you think they are worth defending?

I won't jump on that bandwagon. Brendan Smyth, not a bad fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Winterlong wrote: »
    There would not be too many people defending a paedo to be fair. Lowest of the low.

Ya but you get a lot of the lowest types bashing them too

Anyone slightly better than a paedo has licence to bash them

What do you expect in all fairness?

Well when people jumped on a social media circle jerk without knowing that one the people they expect the state to look after was actually a scum bag who fled his own country, they shouldn't be expected to admit they should have waited for the full facts to emerge but instead double down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Funny thing is I don't go around with an 'I told you so'aur.
    Just naturally cynical. Saves time.

Plus, no sympathy cards here. Haven't time to waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Imagine standing outside somewhere in aid of a paedo.

Imagine kneeling inside somewhere in front of a paedo........every Sunday.

Yes, but I didn't know he was a paedo at the time.

Nor did the people who protested know that the homeless man who died was a paedo.
    Simples.

Imagine kneeling inside somewhere in front of a paedo........every Sunday.

Yes, but I didn't know he was a paedo at the time.

Nor did the people who protested know that the homeless man who died was a paedo.
    Simples.

They just assumed he died because he Irish government let it happen. Solving homelessness, not simples.

Ya but you get a lot of the lowest types bashing them too

Anyone slightly better than a paedo has licence to bash them

Put that shovel down and stop digging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

This shouldn't take away from the issue here which is the fact that homeless are living and dying like that homeless man did. The concern was not specifically or only for this one homeless man, it was for the homeless community at large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Are the homeless all paedos now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭gw80

Mehh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

He indecent assaulted two young girls, intentionally gave someone HIV and amassed 40 court convictions. I think we can cancel the charity concert.

Totally agree but sadly some posters actually seem happy that this man was such a monster.
    It's a stick they will try use when taking down to/about the homeless situation. We already have posts using him to prove "what a big mistake Apollo House was" despite the fact that he was in several other shelters.
    He was a monster. Possibly an evil man but that has no bearing on other homeless people, the homeless crisis

dresden8 wrote: »
    Are the homeless all paedos now?

No, but some people are more deserving of sympathy than others, and the Irish government should not be expected to look after other countries criminals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

No, but some people are more deserving of sympathy than others, and the Irish government should not be expected to look after other countries criminals.

Eh, pretty sure the fella was Irish and he was deported back here by the Aussies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Ipso wrote:

You are right. Simon convey took over from Apollo House and homelessness ended July 2017. Oh wait, how did three homeless people die when we don't have a homelessness problem?
    Scratching me head here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

They just assumed he died because he Irish government let it happen. Solving homelessness, not simples.

Didn't say or suggest that solving homelessness was simple - though personally I'd start with a massive government program of house building.
    I'm saying that the people who protested about homelessness and a homeless man dying on the streets didn't know that the man who died was a paedophile.
    If you don't understand this then I'll use shorter words and bigger letters in the next one.
    Thanks.

Didn't say or suggest that solving homelessness was simple - though personally I'd start with a massive government program of house building.
    I'm saying that the people who protested about homelessness and a homeless man dying on the streets didn't know that the man who died was a paedophile.
    If you don't understand this then I'll use shorter words and bigger letters in the next one.
    Thanks.

Or if you want to get positive publicity to help with the homeless crisis then it's best not to get teary eyed over someone that most people won't be able to muster much sympathy for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sure let all homeless people die now. You never know which one might have a nasty past.

Or if the government won't step up then the vigilers can bring people in of the street.

• Advertisement
Advertisement