Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remember that dead homeless man people were concerned about? Turns out he was a nonce

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Statement retracted. What he actually said pedophiles murderers and scumbag. My mistake

You are mistaken again. They asked YOU to stop defending "pedophiles murderers and scumbag." The homeless were never mentioned in that statement of his/hers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Statement retracted. What he actually said pedophiles murderers and scumbag. My mistake

Mod:

I'm inclined to say that at this stage, you are not willing to engage in a discussion here. Don't post in this thread again.

Everyone else, stop responding to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You are mistaken again. They asked YOU to stop defending "pedophiles murderers and scumbag." The homeless were never mentioned in that statement of his/hers.

Please look at posts 163, 164 and 166. Wanderer78 and Cee-Jay-Cee were clearly talking about homless people. (defending homeless people) & Wheeliebin asked Wanderer to "stop defending "pedophiles murderers and scumbag.". Wanderer was defending homeless people in general. Wheeliebin called them "pedophiles murderers and scumbags".
    I wasn't actually part of the conversation at all & he most definitely wasn't talking to me
    Go back & read the posts

I'm happy to drop Wheeliebins quote & forget about it but if you really want to spend pages with he said, she said till a MOD tells us to stop or we get thread banned feel free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Why do people keep on having children despite having no accommodation? Fair enough it happens to someone with a family already but there's plenty of kid being conceived in these hotels and being born to parents who can't house them

maybe go and ask the parents of these children. no point in asking us here on boards as we aren't going to know the answer.
    A position of "I will never stop trying to do more for 'person x'" is a fine personal statement.

It's not a feasible governmental position.

nobody said it was a feasible governmental position.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    Please. You're forever blaming the Gardai for 'not enforcing the law'

and? that's probably because they aren't doing it as much as they should, and the government refuse to fund them enough to allow them to do it. so yes, if they aren't enforcing the law as much as they should then that is their fault. the funding issues can only go so far as a reason.
    and letting scrotes off the hook by absolving them of personal responsibility.

nope, never happened. it's the justice system doing that, i never absolved criminals of personal responsibility.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

and? that's probably because they aren't doing it as much as they should, and the government refuse to fund them enough to allow them to do it. so yes, if they aren't enforcing the law as much as they should then that is their fault. the funding issues can only go so far as a reason.

nope, never happened. it's the justice system doing that, i never absolved criminals of personal responsibility.

You know every time you type ''nope'' you come off as a stubborn and petulant child with your fingers in your ears going lalalalalalala. You literally said nobody is to blame except perps but then in your next breath you say it is the authorities fault. You always perform gymnastics to blame the system/authorities/wider society... anything except laying absolute fault at the actual scumbag's feet. Your credibility honestly evaporates the more you type at times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Please look at posts 163, 164 and 166. Wanderer78 and Cee-Jay-Cee were clearly talking about homless people. (defending homeless people) & Wheeliebin asked Wanderer to "stop defending "pedophiles murderers and scumbag.". Wanderer was defending homeless people in general. Wheeliebin called them "pedophiles murderers and scumbags".
    I wasn't actually part of the conversation at all & he most definitely wasn't talking to me
    Go back & read the posts

I'm happy to drop Wheeliebins quote & forget about it but if you really want to spend pages with he said, she said till a MOD tells us to stop or we get thread banned feel free.

Eh no.

Wanderer was saying scumbags have mental problems and we as society are kind of to blame for not understanding them.

Homeless people were never mentioned in my reply.

You know every time you type ''nope'' you come off as a stubborn and petulant child with your fingers in your ears going lalalalalalala. You literally said nobody is to blame except perps but then in your next breath you say it is the authorities fault. You always perform gymnastics to blame the system/authorities/wider society... anything except laying absolute fault at the actual scumbag's feet. Your credibility honestly evaporates the more you type at times.

again, all this never happened. i blame the criminals for criminality and the system/authorities for refusing to deal with the issue. your false allegations are beyond boaring.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

again, all this never happened. i blame the criminals for criminality and the system/authorities for refusing to deal with the issue. your false allegations are beyond boaring.

You nearly always put the emphasis on the system rather than the criminal. You're never content to just blame dirtbags for their abhorrent behaviour.

You nearly always put the emphasis on the system rather than the criminal. You're never content to just blame dirtbags for their abhorrent behaviour.

i do not do anything of the sort. again this is another false allegation.

Ok if you say so. But I think you do plenty of the sort and a great number of posters here think you do too. Forever excusing and deflecting. Then again, you're the one that says Political Correctness doesn't exist when 97% of people here do, so forgive me if I don't take you all that seriously.

• Advertisement

Ok if you say so. But I think you do plenty of the sort and a great number of posters here think you do too. Forever excusing and deflecting.

well i know that i don't do any of that, which is all that matters. only facts matter.
    forgive me if I don't take you all that seriously.

good for you. i'm not interested in one's personal opinion of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

well i know that i don't do any of that, which is all that matters. only facts matter.

You mean only facts you agree with yeah? Usually when confronted with ones you arent a fan of you disappear from the thread for a day or two.

Also I'm sure many who are familiar with your posts will agree you have trouble with the difference between your opinion of things and actual verifiable facts

VinLieger wrote: »
    You mean only facts you agree with yeah? Usually when confronted with ones you arent a fan of you disappear from the thread for a day or two.

Also I'm sure many who are familiar with your posts will agree you have trouble with the difference between your opinion of things and actual verifiable facts

well they are wrong. more baseless allegations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Reading through some of this I think I now have the solution:

State to provide hostels for people who are drug free and alcohol free

State to provide hostels for people who are drug free but drink alcohol

State to provide hostels for people who are alcohol free but take drugs

State to provide hostels for people who abuse drugs and alcohol

State to provide hostels for convicted criminals who are not peadophiles

State to provide hostels for convicted criminals who are peadophiles

State to provide specific accommodation for single mothers*

State to provide specific accommodation for single fathers

(* accommodation needs to be within 5 minute walk of her Ma's house)

That should sort it all out.

Now hurry up Leo.

PS - raise social welfare, improve services, cut taxes and give us back the money we paid for water while you are at it.

BPKS wrote: »
    Reading through some of this I think I now have the solution:

State to provide hostels for people who are drug free and alcohol free

State to provide hostels for people who are drug free but drink alcohol

State to provide hostels for people who are alcohol free but take drugs

State to provide hostels for people who abuse drugs and alcohol

State to provide hostels for convicted criminals who are not peadophiles

State to provide hostels for convicted criminals who are peadophiles

State to provide specific accommodation for single mothers*

State to provide specific accommodation for single fathers

(* accommodation needs to be within 5 minute walk of her Ma's house)

That should sort it all out.

Now hurry up Leo.

PS - raise social welfare, improve services, cut taxes and give us back the money we paid for water while you are at it.

You forgot "build hundreds of thousands of new forever homes for them" too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

seamus wrote: »
    I hear Leo Varadkar sneaks into emergency accommodation every full moon looking for fresh victims to kill.

If he doesn't he'll revert to his feral state with the coming of dawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Matt.ie

rossmores wrote:
    So how did Australia dump this piece of **** back to Ireland he had been in Australia since 1972 i would have thought he would have being naturalized citizen. Agree not all homeless are criminals but I think Dublin is a dumping ground for them the to our locally focused politicians

Are we sure that he was in Australia that length of time?

No other media has reported his crimes only the sun.

Saw some posts on twitter yesterday that said he wasn't in Australia when he is supposed to have committed some of the crimes.

Here's an interesting stat to the people who think the goverment are forcing people into homelessness.

Sample of percentage refusals of been offered social housing.

Dublin City Council 18% refusal

Dún-Laoghaire Rathdown Co 37% refusal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Here's an interesting stat to the people who think the goverment are forcing people into homelessness.

this seems to be ignored time and time again. as an example, that one that made a huge fuss over the last 2 years about living in a hotel, turned down houses twice and yet still have the neck to go on every form of media possible saying they had no home.

have to laugh though, any time you see media reporting on ghost estate or unoccupied houses in places like Leitrim or letterkenny its normally greeted by dozens of people outraged that these houses arent given to the homeless.

people wont even move 2 or 3 kms for a house yet the moral outrage bridage are losing their s*ite because houses 300km away arent having millions invested into them, so they can remain empty anyway.

this seems to be ignored time and time again. as an example, that one that made a huge fuss over the last 2 years about living in a hotel, turned down houses twice and yet still have the neck to go on every form of media possible saying they had no home.

have to laugh though, any time you see media reporting on ghost estate or unoccupied houses in places like Leitrim or letterkenny its normally greeted by dozens of people outraged that these houses arent given to the homeless.

people wont even move 2 or 3 kms for a house yet the moral outrage bridage are losing their s*ite because houses 300km away arent having millions invested into them, so they can remain empty anyway.

The media are very biased to the left in this country.

Although the doom and gloom merchants like to tell you the goverment control the meeja.

• Advertisement

If you turn down a house you should be put to the bottom of the list. Simple as that. You aren't that needy if you can turn your nose up

If you turn down a house you should be put to the bottom of the list. Simple as that. You aren't that needy if you can turn your nose up

Makes you wonder how many in emergency accommodation are actually that needy too.

I'm sceptical and have a good reason to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

We need to do due diligence now to be outraged?

*as someone does a background character check*

"Can we be outraged yet?"
    ".....nnnnnnnnow you can"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

valoren wrote: »
    We need to do due diligence now to be outraged?

*as someone does a background character check*

".....nnnnnnnnow you can"

It's kind of nice to have the full facts before going full outrage. A lot of the human interest stories that have blown up in the media have tended to have backstories that wouldn't elicit much sympathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I'm working in homeless services around ten years and I can definitely say I've only ever of one regisistered homeless person refuse a council property .
    There's clearly an issue with individuals on the housing list who aren't homeless and I think there is a new system to stop people refusing or cut down on refusals. I thinkit's called choice based lettings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

What about Miss Foreva Home herself, didn't she turn down various rental properties so she could scrounge a free gaff for herself and her spawn.

it's not that interesting at all really. the first number is very low, the second number is a little concerning but ultimately some of the refusals will be for genuine reasons with others not so. the councils all ready put people back to the bottom of the list once they refuse a house, or a certain number of houses (it depends on the council i believe)
    however none of that changes the facts.

it's not ignored at all. there just isn't anything to be said on the issue really as the councils have the facilities to remedy the issue.
    the reality is Leitrim or letterkenny have their own people to deal with without taking those from dublin who are in need as well, dublin has the facilities and resources to deal effectively with the problem of their own who are in need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the reality is Leitrim or letterkenny have their own people to deal with without taking those from dublin

they dont. theres towns all over ireland that are becoming under populated now every year and this is going to keep getting "worse" in the coming years.

theres parts of rural ireland with empty houses because theres no people there to live in them.

• Advertisement

they dont. theres towns all over ireland that are becoming under populated now every year and this is going to keep getting "worse" in the coming years.

theres parts of rural ireland with empty houses because theres no people there to live in them.

they have their own in need to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Social housing system is broken in this country.

I worked for a town council for a time in the late 00s. I've seen vulnerable single women and men (both young and old) with severe disabilities or in some cases terminal illnesses literally told they'd be waiting years for a house. The majority of these people would die off be it their illness/suicide or be housed by the county council in an unsuitable house in rural Ireland with no public transport, health services etc.

The majority of successful applicants (single mothers) would turn down at least 1 house for various small reasons ( no off street parking, small gardens etc) and yet would still got priority over men/single women some of whom were in accommodation that is completely unsuitable for their needs. They'd also fail to declare their living arrangements (boyfriend cohabiting etc when declaring income) the lower the income the more likely they were to be housed.

My section wasn't housing btw but because of staff shortages on Fridays I'd sometimes get stuck at the front desk with people paying rents, fines, road tax etc. some of these families would actually get quite aggressive in tone and verbally abusive. Witnessed at least 3 occasions AGS had to come and remove these people from the reception area. Glass door was once smashed by someone who was demanding to be rehoused because of a dispute with a neighbour. The neighbour made a complaint about ASB. Rhymes with Gravel-hers btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

They're empty because there are no services. No buses, no shops, probably a garage with a few bits and pieces, ie bread, milk etc. Garda station probably closed or on rostered timetable. More than likely a national school, if you're lucky a secondary school in the nearest large town.Rural Ireland GPs are moving to larger towns in primary centres so dont get sick. Post office will probably be closed down and there won't be many jobs either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Donal55 wrote: »
    They're empty because there are no services. No buses, no shops, probably a garage with a few bits and pieces, ie bread, milk etc. Garda station probably closed or on rostered timetable. More than likely a national school, if you're lucky a secondary school in the nearest large town.Rural Ireland GPs are moving to larger towns in primary centres so dont get sick. Post office will probably be closed down and there won't be many jobs either.

In most cases they are in reasonably sized towns with adequate facilities, in fact there is one in Loughrea that's nearly finished at the present time and that is just one example.

Developers weren't going to built an estate in the arsehole of nowhere if they wanted to sell them even at the height of the boom.

You just don't want to say that most of the people in these hotels in Dublin want a house in the most expensive part of the country for a knock down price and if they shout loud enough like that Erica one then they will get it.

In most cases they are in reasonably sized towns with adequate facilities, in fact there is one in Loughrea that's nearly finished at the present time and that is just on example.

Developers weren't going to built an estate in the arsehole of nowhere if they wanted to sell them even at the height of the boom.

You just don't want to say that most of the people in these hotels in Dublin want a house in the most expensive part of the country for a knock down price and if they shout loud enough like that Erica one then they will get it.

Well from my experience they did. Ill give some examples along the N5.
    Tarmonbarry,
    Tulsk,
    Bellanagare,
    Frenchpark,
    Ballaghaderreen.
    And off the N5
    Elphin,
    Cootehall,
    Ballyfarnan,
    Cloonfad.

Thats just north Roscommon. The largest town out of that list, Ballaghaderreen, had an unemployment rate of approx 34% according to the 2011 census.

It is even worse than that now.

proof please. can you read minds now? they are correct to want to be housed in the area with the most resources to deal with them, which all ready exist, meaning we don't have to spend multiple billions inplementing resources else where to deal with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Well from my experience they did. Ill give some examples along the N5.
    Tarmonbarry,
    Tulsk,
    Bellanagare,
    Frenchpark,
    Ballaghaderreen.
    And off the N5
    Elphin,
    Cootehall,
    Ballyfarnan,
    Cloonfad.

Thats just north Roscommon. The largest town out of that list, Ballaghaderreen, had an unemployment rate of approx 34% according to the 2011 census.

It is even worse than that now.

I travel 40 miles to work, but then I don't expect the Government to spoon feed me and wipe my arse for me on a daily basis, I never said people might not have to travel for work but the basic facilities are there in those places and while they are small towns we're not talking about a house in the middle of nowhere surrounded by cows.

My original point still stands, they want cheap houses in an expensive area and will play the system to get them.

I travel 40 miles to work, but then I don't expect the Government to spoon feed me and wipe my arse for me on a daily basis, I never said people might not have to travel for work but the basic facilities are there in those places and while they are small towns we're not talking about a house in the middle of nowhere surrounded by cows.

My original point still stands, they want cheap houses in an expensive area and will play the system to get them.

Your original point was that in the height of the boom developers didn't build in the above sort of places without services etc. I gave 9 examplea. Heres another three,
    Lisacul-1 church 1 post office nearest shop is in Ballaghaderreen 5 miles away.
    Scramogue-0 shop, 0 school, 1 undertakers.
    Corrigeenroe, 1 shop 1 school.

All the above areas have plenty of estates with plenty of vacant housing.
    However they have very little else. Sending the homeless down here might sound like a good idea but pretty soon they'll be back on the housling list in Dublin.

Even those 80 plus Syrian refugees in Ballaghaderreen, when interviewed by Shannonside Radio said they enjoyed Ballagh and the people but they would prefer to be in Dublin or Galway as there is nothing to do where they currently are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Even those 80 plus Syrian refugees in Ballaghaderreen, when interviewed by Shannonside Radio said they enjoyed Ballagh and the people but they would prefer to be in Dublin or Galway as there is nothing to do where they currently are.

I'd say most people would love to live in a large urban centre, with every service available on their doorstep.
    However, ability to pay for "city centre living" comes in to play.

BTW, what do the Irish residents of Ballaghadreen do that the Syrian refugees cant do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Neil Issagum

I'm not a fan of the free house brigade, but if the government did build new social housing stock wouldn't it free up the private rental market by getting people on the Hap / rent allowance etc out of private housing?

I don't understand how we managed to build all those massive social housing schemes years ago crumlin drimnagh ballyfermot etc.......weren't we 'poor' back then?

Where did the money come from? Why can't we do similar now?

Vizzy wrote: »
    I'd say most people would love to live in a large urban centre, with every service available on their doorstep.
    However, ability to pay for "city centre living" comes in to play.

BTW, what do the Irish residents of Ballaghadreen do that the Syrian refugees cant do ?

Hence the need to put the services in rural areas rather than reducing them. Either way this is going to cost.

Work, for a start. For those that have it.
    Or farm,
    Or claim their dole.
    Or do all of the above. 😀😀

• Advertisement

I'm not a fan of the free house brigade, but if the government did build new social housing stock wouldn't it free up the private rental market by getting people on the Hap / rent allowance etc out of private housing?

I don't understand how we managed to build all those massive social housing schemes years ago crumlin drimnagh ballyfermot etc.......weren't we 'poor' back then?

Where did the money come from? Why can't we do similar now?[/QUOTE
    Money is not the issue.

Problem(s) are the availability of land with Local Authorities bidding against "foreign money" for any plot that comes available. Also, most of the available land is currently in the hands of developers who are just sitting on it and waiting for prices to rise.
    Secondly, the issue of procurement kicks in( that didn't exist even 30 years ago) and this and planning can take ages to sort out. Councils do not want to build "new Ballyfermots" (nor should they), but as soon as a scheme of say 50 houses is proposed, you will have everyone and his dog objecting to it.

And when you get through all that there is a lack of blocklayers, plasterers etc to build houses.

Heard Brendan Kenny (Deputy CEO of Dublin City Council) on radio this afternoon saying that it currently takes 3 years to build a scheme of houses.

Hence the need to put the services in rural areas rather than reducing them. Either way this is going to cost.

Work, for a start. For those that have it.
    Or farm,
    Or claim their dole.
    Or do all of the above. ����
    Why cant the Syrians work or claim the dole or all of the above. ?

I know of a group of Syrians in another area of the country who have completely integrated and most of them are now working after about 2 years in the country.

Why cant the Syrians work or claim the dole or all of the above. ?

I know of a group of Syrians in another area of the country who have completely integrated and most of them are now working after about 2 years in the country.

In fairness they're only in the country a couple of months and probably just finding their bearings. I think they get that €19.00 living allowance and they live in a reception centre at the moment.

However, even if they were allowed work, and just ASSUMING they were either low skilled or very highly skilled, there are still very few opportunities within the town of Ballaghaderreen. And if they were to go further afield for work, it would require transport. All of which is in very short supply for a Syrian refugee on €19 pw.

In the long run it costs too much.

The government are expected to maintain these houses for free for life.

It's just not viable in the long run.

Unless we higher taxes to fund a massive social housing build.

There is only a limited amount of money and Irish people have demonstrated they aren't willing to pay for vital things.

In fairness they're only in the country a couple of months and probably just finding their bearings. I think they get that €19.00 living allowance and they live in a reception centre at the moment.

However, even if they were allowed work, and just ASSUMING they were either low skilled or very highly skilled, there are still very few opportunities within the town of Ballaghaderreen. And if they were to go further afield for work, it would require transport. All of which is in very short supply for a Syrian refugee on €19 pw.

So, ASSUMING that they were housed in, say, Galway, will their €19 per week go further ? or will they just fill their time feeding the swans down in Spanish Arch ?

there is no evidence for that. it will cost, but the current system is costing us a lot more.

if the government are the landlords then legally they have to maintain the house. not the small things like cleaning and so on but the big jobs. private landlords have to do it so the government shouldn't be exempt. the residents are charged rent as per all social housing schemes.
    It's just not viable in tin long run.

again there is no evidence for that. there is evidence however for the fact the current system isn't viable.

There is only a limited amount of money and Irish people have demonstrated they aren't willing to pay for vital things.[/QUOTE]

they haven't demonstrated anything of the sort. what they have demonstrated and they are correct to do so, is that they will not pay for something they are all ready paying for, they will not pay twice for a service. they will also not pay for jobs for the boys clubs filled with failures from other parts of the public sector to manage those services. they have also demonstrated that they will not pay out money they haven't got when the country fecks up.

if the government are the landlords then legally they have to maintain the house. not the small things like cleaning and so on but the big jobs. private landlords have to do it so the government shouldn't be exempt. the residents are charged rent as per all social housing schemes.

And if the government, being landlords, are expected to maintain the house, should they be allowed charge an economic rent ?

And if the government, being landlords, are expected to maintain the house, should they be allowed charge an economic rent ?

if the person's income is at a level to allow that then yes.

if the person's income is at a level to allow that then yes.[/QUOTE

So, if for example, a person/family had a weekly income of €500 pw, what would you consider to be a fair rent ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

It's just not viable in the long run.

There is only a limited amount of money and Irish people have demonstrated they aren't willing to pay for vital things.

As well creating a dependency on social housing that will cross generations.

There will also a group in society who genuinely need social housing but if we go back to building scheme after scheme of social housing it becomes a rite of passage for some where their grandparents had social housing, their parents and themselves and ultimately thier children.

Maybe we need to look at whatever it is society that makes people believe that social housing is thier only option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement