Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting a Bamboo

Options
  • 05-09-2017 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hello,

I just bought my first ever bamboo plant, a Phyllostachys Aurea. It was a bit neglected in the shop so when I got it home I trimmed out about 1/3 of the small canes, pulled away all the dead leaves, watered it for about an hour. The next day I fed it with nitrogen and it has really perked up since. I will be planting it in a planter 48" x 18" x 18" to use as patio screening.

My questions is can I split it to get two bamboo out of as it was quite expensive (€60) and I need four of them? (Picture of the bamboo is below)

Thanks
    Ross

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,438 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes you could split it, though I can nearly promise you the top will die back and look dismal. It will however grow again. If it does die back just cut off the dead bits and leave it get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Rossdoc81

So is it better to just suck it up and pay the €240 for four of them instead of buying two and splitting them?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Are you sure you need that many? It's a very large plant.

RHS says propagate by division in spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,438 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well I would not buy four bamboo plants, if it looks split-able do that. I said the top may die back, but that is not particularly a problem, it will grow back.

Maybe I don't need four. My patio is 14 foot long. I was going to make up four planter boxes each 4 foot long, buy two bamboo, split them, and put 1/2 a plant in each. I could make up two 6 foot boxes and put a plant in each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Its a running bamboo so you can split it quite well, it will die back a little from the stress but should recover again nicely.

however, since its just recovering from the last stress (neglect in shop) I wouldnt do anything until Spring, as advised already.
    Let it get good and hardy before you split it and enjoy.

Just keep it in the planters or it will take over...

OK, I'll buy another one and plant the two of them in two four foot planters.

I'll look after them over the winter and then I'll split the two of them in early spring.

Thanks to everyone for the replies and advice.

Advertisement