Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mother Teresa - 20 years ago

• 05-09-2017 10:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

20 years ago on this day we said goodbye to a champion of Humanity Mother Teresa of Calcutta. She devoted her life to helping the poor and destitute, often her care was the only attention they received on their death bed. Her order of nuns continue to do great work in India and worldwide today. Her death was overshadowed by the media circus surrounding the death of Lady Diana at the time.

Two great women of charity and who had the best at heart for the poor and destitute.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/54/bb/2c/54bb2cff7a90be77ca1360e7baafa3e8.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

"Candle in the wind" followed shortly by "Sandals in the Bin"....I know I know ,I'll burn in hell for all eternity for that..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

She was worse than Hitler. There, I said it.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Doltanian wrote: »

Two great women of charity and who had the best at heart for the poor and destitute.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/54/bb/2c/54bb2cff7a90be77ca1360e7baafa3e8.jpg

Which one is which?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

This week 20 years ago I was getting seriously fvcked up in Amsterdam.

I am certain this is how Mother Theresa would like me to have marked her passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I have a vague memory of the British press trying to imply that she died of a broken heart as a result of Diana's death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Yeah she was a ****.
    We know.
    Were you wanting a debate?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Condoms are worse than aids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

A lovely woman who believed "The sick must suffer like Christ on the cross"

Condoms are worse than aids

You're doing it wrong.

You're doing it wrong.

Lead the way almighty one

• Advertisement

Lead the way almighty one

Abstain baby, abstain till your wedding night or burn in hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

I believe Christopher Hitchens wrote a fairly scathing assessment of her work in the late 90s, sadly the name of the book escapes me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

she was probably one of the worst people to ever walk the planet and should be remembered as such

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

she was probably one of the worst people to ever walk the planet and should be remembered as such

Ah Diana wasnt that bad.

I believe Christopher Hitchens wrote a fairly scathing assessment of her work in the late 90s, sadly the name of the book escapes me.

I believe it was called The Missionary Position :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Was it The Missionary Position? I think he described her as a friend of poverty, not of the poor. She was also a bit pally with a Caribbean dictator (Duvalier?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Terrible the way Mother Teresa is spoken about here

She was a saint to a lot of people in Calcutta

And was she given the freedom of the city here when she was last here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Can't believe Stewie let her over dose in the back of the car

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

"Mother Teresa believed the sick must suffer like Christ on the cross"
    This and many other facts about her lack of concern for the sick and dying are detailed here...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Mother_Teresa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

She had a massive coke habit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

I was just checking

I see Mother Teresa is now known as Saint Teresa of Calcutta

i remember when she and lady Diana died The outpouring of mass hysteria and Grief when Lady Di was killed in car crash in England And Mother Teresa a few days llater the difference in media coverage of both women was totally one sided and both were were known worldwide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

This Missionary Position!! Also there's a tv program on YouTube- I could listen to him for hours, blows the love in that is the Theresa Cult to smithereens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

bob50 wrote: »

She was a conniving fundamentalist cow...and that's the mild version of what I think of her. People here speak the truth. Vampire of Calcutta would be far more appropriate for that cretin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

How about posting something good that she did.

freedom of cities and being a saint mean nothing.

she would fly around in private jets , stay in 5 star villas and eat insanely expensive food, get top of the range million dollar medical treatments all while the poor and needy were starving in her hospitals, her staff would reuse needles on hundreds of patients until they could not be used anymore,
    she would deny patients with insane amounts of pain any kind of pain killers .
    she believed that she should lock away the sick and let them suffer in the name of religion.

Wake up to the reality of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

She left the poor to die on palliasses without proper medication, sanitation or access to pain relief, and needles were reused until blunt. Meanwhile she pumped millions upon millions of dollars in donations (in one case that she knew to have been stolen and refused to return) into building more convents.

If I knew where her grave was I'd be sorely tempted to piss on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 missgeri

she was a vile and evil woman who only truly cared about herself and her church.

an absolute...insert 4 letter word being with c and ending in t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I saw her grave earlier this year in Calcutta. It's a very nice marble tomb in the Mother House. I thought it sat very badly with the way the people in her "hospitals" were treated. I call her the Ghoul of Calcutta. I think Christopher Hitchens might have called her that in one of his books. Or maybe it was someone else?
    I have zero time for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Her work and her self is being criticised by people who probably haven't dirtied their hands with the rejects of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Her work and her self is being criticised by people who probably haven't dirtied their hands with the rejects of society.

As if the downtrodden in society aren't having life hard enough you have to use the phrase "dirtied their hands". Whatever anyone who is downtrodden is going through anyone that helps them shouldn't see it as dirtying their hands to assist them they see it as being a normal human being helping out another when they need it the most. If you were at your lowest point in life would anyone that helps you be dirtying their hands? Simple answer is no. Mother Teresa was put up on a pedestal. She sure as hell has been knocked off it now with the revelations of what exactly went on in her missionaries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The keyboard warriors are strong on this thread. All mouth, no trousers as they say in Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

markodaly wrote: »
    The keyboard warriors are strong on this thread. All mouth, no trousers as they say in Scotland.

Yeah, before you know it we'll have novices who couldn't tell you what a stethoscope is going off on Harold Shipman...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Rejects of society? Is that how you view people?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

You can bet your ass that if I was being given millions to take care of the sick and dying I'd, at the very least, actually use the money to, y'know, look after them rather than let them die in slightly less squalor and not allow their family to come visit them.

Rejects of society? Is that how you view people?

Do you just pop up on threads all the time just for the sole purpose of getting offended :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Do you just pop up on threads all the time just for the sole purpose of getting offended :pac::pac::pac::pac:

If he is offended he has every right to be. FFS it's a horrible term to use towards a fellow human being. No one is perfect but being deemed as a reject is deplorable.

• Advertisement

Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

mother-teresa-on-do-it-anyway.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

She is such a good singer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Ah yes, Agnes Gonxha - the Serpent of Calcutta :

[Dr Robin Fox, editor of The Lancet, visited and reported on Mother Teresa's Calcutta work in 17 September 1994:]

'There are doctors who call in from time to time but usually the sisters and volunteers (some of whom have medical knowledge) make decisions as best they can.
    I saw a young man who had been admitted in poor shape with high fever, and the drugs prescribed had been tetracycline and paracetamol. Later a visiting doctor diagnosed probable malaria and substituted chloroquine.
    Could not someone have looked at a blood film? Investigations, I was told, are seldom permissible.

How about simple algorithms that might help the sisters and volunteers distinguish the curable from the incurable? Again no.

Such systematic approaches are alien to the ethos of the home. Mother Teresa prefers providence to planning; her rules are designed to prevent any drift towards materialism: the sisters must remain on equal terms with the poor.

Finally, how competent are the sisters at managing pain? On a short visit, I could not judge the power of the spiritual approach, but I was disturbed to learn the formulary includes no strong analgesics.

Along with the neglect of diagnosis, the lack of good analgesia marks Mother Teresa's approach as clearly separate from the hospice movement. I know which I prefer.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Some very self-righteous comments on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I lived in Calcutta about 7 years ago, and volunteered with the Mother Teresa Organisation there, for six months. While there's no doubt they do good work, they certainly have the most international funding, and cherrypick how they spend it and on who. There are better organisations in Calcutta, doing a lot more with a lot less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

So is it people's opinions then that it was some manifestation of Darwin's laws that a shower of thickos made the conscious decision to go to one of her hospitals or institutions when there were all these world-class alternative options that they could have gone to?

Or maybe it was the power of the Catholic Church that railroaded them into the institutions? I mean (according to wikipedia there are 0.88% Christians in Calcutta...that's without even breaking it down into Catholic/Protestant/whatever)

If you want to help great. If you don't help then that's your choice. But don't sit on your hole and belittle or scorn the people who are trying to help, regardless of whether they are doing it correctly or not, just to make yourself feel better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

KKkitty wrote: »
    As if the downtrodden in society aren't having life hard enough you have to use the phrase "dirtied their hands". Whatever anyone who is downtrodden is going through anyone that helps them shouldn't see it as dirtying their hands to assist them they see it as being a normal human being helping out another when they need it the most. If you were at your lowest point in life would anyone that helps you be dirtying their hands? Simple answer is no. Mother Teresa was put up on a pedestal. She sure as hell has been knocked off it now with the revelations of what exactly went on in her missionaries.
    Yeah...and the three words used to describe working in a calcutta slum is the greatest injustice faced. Talk is cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Pleas explain!

My memories of her from the TV would all be very positive, helping the sick and infirm, so what's all this negative stuff about her in this thread?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

LordSutch wrote: »
    Pleas explain!

My memories of her from the TV would all be very positive, helping the sick and infirm, so what's all this negative stuff about her in this thread?
    Read up on her.
    She welcomed donations for the poor but felt the sick and dying would prefer to suffer rather than be given proper medicine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

If you preach that the sick must suffer as Christ suffered but when you yourself become gravely ill you actively seek out the best medical treatment charity money can buy to ease your suffering it negates your core message entirely. To that end, she is a hypocrite, her message an insult to Christ.

Practice what you preach and when you don't, don't be surprised when opinions towards you does a complete 180.

Pleas explain!

Her 'homes for the dying' are just that; places you go to die.

That in itself wouldn't be so bad were it not for the fact that there is no attempt to diagnose or treat people who can be treated. If you go there with something that just needs a course of antibiotics, tough; you're still going to die. And in pain, because they don't give out painkillers and any medications they do give are injected with needles reused until they're blunt and not properly sterilised. People lie on beds on the floor which they are not allowed to leave, their families cannot visit them. The toilet facilities are a bucket in a corner; this in a place where many people have diarrhoea. Patients with TB are not isolated. People are pressured to convert to Christianity, and will be baptised without consent.

She accepted money which she refused to return when it was revealed to have been embezzeled from UK pensions. She had ties to Papa Doc Duvalier.

The woman herself said "I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people".

She glorified suffering that she could have relieved with the millions which were donated to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

Pleas explain!

Well for a start she was a total hypocrite. She expected the poor to suffer in the name of God. It was revealed in her letters after her death that she hadn't felt close to God for most of her adult life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It's hard to believe that after so many years, and so much information available about it, that people still seem ignorant of what went on in her 'hospitals' and how the money was used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

osarusan wrote: »
    It's hard to believe that after so many years, and so much information available about it, that people still seem ignorant of what went on in her 'hospitals' and how the money was used.

What's even more sinister is how the church broke pretty much every rule in the book to make her a saint.

• Advertisement
Advertisement