Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good News Caravan

Options
  • 05-09-2017 11:02pm

Is that still knocking around? Haven't seen it in donkeys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It used to call in to the estate I grew up in. Got some serious hostility from the locals as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Haven't seen it in donkeys

That's good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Used to see it a lot down in Mahon back in the day growing up.

The owner got an awful lot of abuse and sticks/rocks thrown at the caravan too from older kids and teenagers who were just acting up.

Havent seen it in a few years, I passed it or a similar setup, I cant remember where, might have been Ballypheane and was shocked, nearly crashed the car. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Is that still knocking around? Haven't seen it in donkeys

No news, no

It's amazing how common pelting it with stones used to be, regardless of where in Cork you grew up:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

It's amazing how common pelting it with stones used to be, regardless of where in Cork you grew up:pac:

Pieces of Italian terracotta paving slabs were de rigueur on the South side!

I remember when I was younger that the older kids would tell ya he was only trying to take ya away in the caravan if you went in.

That didnt help their cause at all. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I remember when I was younger that the older kids would tell ya he was only trying to take ya away in the caravan if you went in.

if the holy Paedos didn't get you in church, they'd lift you from the street.
    There was no escaping them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

GavRedKing wrote: »

Lol,that was said in my area too.Same about the "United beach missions".They would take you away if you joined them.

That caravan used to be parked up on the tramore road opposite musgraves,I think he lived in the estate there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

I wonder was the irony of being stoned, lost on the owner who preached biblical events ? ;)

I remember going into it a few times in the 70s with my friends, mostly because we had nothing else to do. I was always wary of it though.

• Advertisement

I'd say he loved the persecution. Guaranteed to be on the fast track to heaven

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ah sure a neighbour of mine was famous for having a record number of concussions.
    He only lived a stone's throw away from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I remember the ould lad playing the squeesbox in the caravan.

aujopimur wrote: »
    I remember the ould lad playing the squeesbox in the caravan.

I bet that was better than the squeezebox playing the ould lad .... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

Was that a chap called Mr. Nixon?
    Also had a place on McCurtain Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

What WAS the good news caravan??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

seefin wrote: »
    What WAS the good news caravan??

Twas like a portacabin on wheels a guy used to tow around cork city and suburbs,preaching the word of the Lord to the local children.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

magentis wrote: »
    Twas like a portacabin on wheels a guy used to tow around cork city and suburbs,preaching the word of the Lord to the local children.

When was this? I grew up in the seventies and eighties and don't remember it. I missed out.

Ludo wrote: »
    When was this? I grew up in the seventies and eighties and don't remember it. I missed out.

Definitely in the Seventies and iirc early eighties.

Ludo wrote: »
    Mumha wrote: »
    Definitely in the Seventies and iirc early eighties.

It was around in the early 90s too in Mahon/Blackrock when I was growing up and a work mate of mine said he seen it towards the end of the 90s up around Ballyvolane too.

• Advertisement

Heres a good, albeit brief history of the caravan. I'm shocked they used to have a website:confused:
    https://togherhistoricalassociation.blogspot.com/2015/01/good-news-caravan.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I remember it appearing in the early 90s in Ballyphehane. Simpler times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Roar wrote: »
    I remember it appearing in the early 90s in Ballyphehane. Simpler times.

Another shout for Ballyphehane and Togher here in the 90s...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Used to come up around the glen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

used to come up to Calderwood in Douglas also in the 80's

Advertisement