Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding Property During Notice Period

Options
  • 06-09-2017 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

My wife and I have been served termination of lease our lease after 18 months. We have received the proper 42 days notice and the reason given was for the son of the owner to take possession, no problem with that. Our complication is that the notice period is up 2 days before our first kid is born. We asked for an additional month so my wife can recuperate. We've heard nothing back so we've started looking for immediate occupation. If we find something do we have to pay to the end of our notice period? Can we just pay until the day we leave the flat? Apologies if this is a common question, I feel it might be, but I'm a bit panicked.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

I recall someone here saying the RTB ruled that for the notice to be valid under these grounds that the termination date has to specify "on or before dd/mm/yy" so if you find somewhere else you can pay to when you leave. People with more experience can elaborate on this though.

Best thing is to talk to the LL - realistically he/she should be happy you're leaving and won't stand in your way.

Best of luck with the baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Best thing to do is check with people knowledgeable about the law like Threshold

www.threshold.ie

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Best thing to do is check with people knowledgeable about the law like Threshold

www.threshold.ie

LOL!!!!!! Didn't realise this was a comedy forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭WolfSpinach

www.threshold.ie

Thanks for the responses.

On Threshold's website, it states that the notice of termination must :
    - Specify the termination date on or before which you should leave and state that you have the full 24 hours to vacate. You can leave before this date and should try to give the landlord reasonable notice and are liable for rent up to when you leave.

So I think that will work but I'll give them a call to ensure.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

My landlord sold our place and was happy that we left earlier. Full deposit back- no hassle and only paid rent until we left. Just ask him/her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭dennyk

Best thing to do is discuss it with your landlord. Legally, you would also have to give six weeks notice to end the tenancy, but you and the landlord can mutually agree to end it earlier. They may well be happy enough to have you out sooner if you find another place and can move out before the termination date, since it gives them more time to move in and it means you aren't going to pull some over-holding shenanigans, but it's more likely they'll be amenable if you work with them and keep them apprised of your timeline as much as possible rather than just ringing them up out of the blue one day and saying "Hey, by the way, I'm out now, no more rent from me, see ya!"

Advertisement