Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can IPhones and IPads really catch fire from charging?

Options
  • 06-09-2017 12:39am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭

I've been reading about this a lot lately, I usually leave my stuff charging overnight, now I'm paranoid it will catch fire.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anything electrical can catch fire if there is a fault (Grenfell was caused by a fridge for example), but it's very unlikely. It is much more likely with cheap knock-off electrical goods imported from Asia as they do not have to go through the same rigor to sell their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I think the OP may be referring to a scare story warning on Facebook from Dublin Fire Brigade which implied that it is unsafe to leave a device on a charge overnight in case it goes on fire. The story is accompanied by photos of a melted bluetooth speaker which exploded while on a charge - no brand name visible so probably bought in a pound shop..

As poster awec points out, this is most likely to happen with cheap devices and chargers which are not manufactured by the likes of Apple, Samsung etc.

It's a story dated August 31st last ....

https://www.facebook.com/DubFireBrigade/posts/1475479222532612

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Bebopclown wrote: »
    I've been reading about this a lot lately, I usually leave my stuff charging overnight, now I'm paranoid it will catch fire.

Check the charger in the morning, if it's cold then your gear is working properly and there is little or zero risk of fire.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Wouldn't be unduly concerned unless you use a sketchy charger or are doubling up on overloaded sockets, etc. Common sense and proper cables should mean the risk is low. Watched a series about London Fire Brigade recently, and whilst phone/gadget cables were the culprit in one or two fires, it was as much the combination of other factors that played a role too. Minimise the risk as per the DFB Facebook post above and you should be fine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I bought a "genuine" MacBook charger from Adverts, which turned out to be a very good copy.

It works fine but I don't leave it charging overnight. If it was an official one I'd have no problem doing so. There's a lot of scaremongering online but common sense should prevail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

coylemj wrote: »
    Check the charger in the morning, if it's cold then your gear is working properly and there is little or zero risk of fire.
    If it goes on fire during the night then you have a faulty device along with a few other issues :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

People bitching about Apple blocking 3rd party cables from charging their phones but its this reason why it was done. Sure its extra money for them at the end of the day but it's pittance compared to scare headlines like " my new iphone exploded while charging...because I was too mean to get a proper apple cable which is certified to meet all safety requirements"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Blazer wrote: »
    Sure its extra money for them at the end of the day but it's pittance compared to scare headlines like " my new iphone exploded while charging...because I was too mean to get a proper apple cable which is certified to meet all safety requirements"

There's mean, and then there's not wanting to pay €29 for a cable that should really only cost a fraction of that. It's high pricing will actually push a lot of people into using knockoffs.

Even at €10 Apple could still turn a decent profit, but they choose to sell at triple that price. Luckily, now there are a lot of MFi certified cables that sell for even under €10 so there aren't any excuses, but a few years back the choice wasn't great.

Advertisement