Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aggressive drivers and no Gardai on N20 outbound

Options
  • 06-09-2017 7:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭

I'm getting really fed up with this.

Every morning while trying to turn right on the 50km/H zone of the N20 through Blackpool I am dealing with incredibly aggressive drivers who are going at way beyond the speed limit.

There are people doing at least 80-100 in a 50km/H zone and there's zero enforcement. I've yet to see a single Garda on the outbound side.

This morning I saw a large gap traffic about of 5 cars long or so in the right lane just beyond the Blackpool bypass and I turned out only to have an aggressive driver try to close the gap accelerating at me at huge speed and blasting the horn then spending the next 1km to my right turn driving on my bumper flashing and beeping!

It's getting so bad I can't safely make a right turn into those junctions without having some moron flashing lights or beeping because I'm making a 100% legal and necessary right turn.

They seem to behave like as if you've stopped on the M7 in the fast lane even though it's a 50km/H zone with turns and necessary lane changes.

There's a reason it has a 50km/H limit - multiple junctions that involve right turns to access Blackpool businesses.

I wouldn't even mind if it were people doing 60 but it's people acting as if it's a motorway and right turning traffic is doing something wrong.

100km/H there is 2X the speed limit.

I don't understand Irish driver behaviour. That is causing delays by blocking free flowing traffic and is risking rear-ending someone yet there isn't a speed camera or anything.

Similar used to happen years ago on the Lower Glanmire road inbound (although it's a far less complex route). You used to see a lot of aggression at the right turns after the Silverspring bridge on the single carriageway. Then there was some sporadic enforcement and the traffic is generally a lot more sane these days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The drivers of high end cars are especially prone to acting the maggot, as well as 'rice rocket' drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

flaneur wrote: »
    I don't understand Irish driver behaviour.
    You think speeding is an Irish only behavior?
    Like most places in the World, if it's not policed, then people are unlikely to abide by the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Get their license number and report them would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

why? nothing will be done, there is no proof and you'll only end up getting more frustrated as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I flew into dublin last friday, drove to waterford then to cork, then to dingle, then back to cork over the space of 5 days where i flew out again.

I didnt see a single police car anywhere on the roads, in the towns, anywhere.
    Not sure what they do with their time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I flew into dublin last friday, drove to waterford then to cork, then to dingle, then back to cork over the space of 5 days where i flew out again.

I didnt see a single police car anywhere on the roads, in the towns, anywhere.
    Not sure what they do with their time.

in fairness though, just because you didn't see them doesn't mean they weren't out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I can't figure out where you're talking about. A right hand turn with no traffic lights onto the the N20 in Blackpool heading out of town?
    I can't picture it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

By Dulux maybe?

TheChizler wrote: »
    By Dulux maybe?

Isn't there traffic lights there?
    Also, I wouldn't describe it as Blackpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

why? nothing will be done, there is no proof and you'll only end up getting more frustrated as a result.

Video evidence might help. Not surprising that more people are putting cameras in their cars these days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Isn't there traffic lights there?
    Also, I wouldn't describe it as Blackpool.

Into south doc I presume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

FrStone wrote: »
    Into south doc I presume?

The Sunbeam? For the turn itself there's no lights, just above it there is, that aside there's lights at every other right turn along there.

Looks like OP just needed a rant and isn't engaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I know a few people, including family members who are always complaining about aggressive drivers, yet I very rarely encounter such problems, despite driving the same roads.

My conclusion.. the people who complain are actually woeful drivers who can't maintain a constant speed, eccessively slow down for trivial hazards, don't indicate in time, and generally have poor driving skills, and i notice this being a passenger in the car with them.

Sometimes, it's not the other driver... it's YOU.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Video evidence might help. Not surprising that more people are putting cameras in their cars these days...

Stand at the junction with a camera, 20 minutes a day for a few days and you should have piles of evidence with reg numbers. The Gardai won't thank you, but they can't ignore you.

Publish the evidence with a bit of a social media campaign for local press and local Councillors.

Or stand there with a hairdryer pointed at them and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Stand at the junction with a camera, 20 minutes a day for a few days and you should have piles of evidence with reg numbers. The Gardai won't thank you, but they can't ignore you.

Publish the evidence with a bit of a social media campaign for local press and local Councillors.

Or.. you could get a life

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

mikeecho wrote: »
    Or.. you could get a life

Apologies - you prefer keyboard warriors who whinge about things but don't actually take action in the real world then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

in fairness though, just because you didn't see them doesn't mean they weren't out.

Yeah they were probably parked up some laneway "bagging" themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

The reason I'm not engaging is because there are weird defensive posts attacking and accusing me of bad driving, ranting, being a keyboard warrior etc

Sorry I bloody mentioned it now.

Lets just wait until someone gets killed and then we can do something about drivers doing 100km/H in the 50 zone. It's the Irish way

Maybe some posters here like driving way beyond the speed limit and beeping at right turning traffic ... Who knows?

Clearly you can't raise your head in Ireland about any issue or you're slapped back down.
    Then we go around wondering why there's a cultural issue in organisations about whistleblowers being shut down and squeezed out.

The message I get from this thread is don't raise any issue ever as if you do you're either whining or a trouble maker.

The reason I'm not engaging is because there are weird defensive posts attacking and accusing me of bad driving, ranting, being a keyboard warrior etc

Sorry I bloody mentioned it now.

Lets just wait until someone gets killed and then we can do something about drivers doing 100km/H in the 50 zone. It's the Irish way

Maybe some posters here like driving way beyond the speed limit and beeping at right turning traffic ... Who knows?

Clearly you can't raise your head in Ireland about any issue or you're slapped back down.
    Then we go around wondering why there's a cultural issue in organisations about whistleblowers being shut down and squeezed out.

The message I get from this thread is don't raise any issue ever as if you do you're either whining or a trouble maker.
    Question, how many people have been killed in this reckless and dangerous zone? Given the way you describe it, that stats must back up your assessment.

If it's "the Irish way", are we the only country that speeds?

beer rev asked a simple question about that turn you are speaking about, but you failed to supply it. You started the weird ranting post, attacking and accusing others of bad driving.

From your own comments, you seem to be a bit of a keyboard warrior yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I just want to know where are you talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

As I said earlier, I am not really interested in getting into a personally focused argument here.

I outlined a problem with large numbers of drivers breaking the speed limit by a very large margin and behaving unnecessarily aggressively at about 7:45-8am.

I'm not making it up to annoy people and I do not drive in any kind of unusual way nor do I generally have issues with aggressive drivers.
    There is a specific problem on that stretch at rush hour.

A very similar issue used to occur on the Lower Glanmire road maybe 5+ years ago but has radically improved due to occasional enforcement.

I have zero interest in participating in a thread where people are personalising what is a simple comment on a traffic flow issue. So I won't be posting anymore on this thread.

OP, there was one post suggesting that maybe the problem lay with your driving. One!

Where have you gotten the idea that you are being personally attacked on this thread, or are you referring to that one post?

Your reaction to this thread is very weird indeed.

I simply asked where you are talking about but you refuse to supply that information. Most odd.

Also, a possible reason for the driver beeping and flashing behind you is that he/she simply wanted to overtake you and was extremely frustrated that you wouldn't vacate the overtaking lane to let him/her past.
    I also find that right lane occupying behavior extremely frustrating.

I'm not making it up to annoy people and I do not drive in any kind of unusual way nor do I generally have issues with aggressive drivers.
    There is a specific problem on that stretch at rush hour.
    Honestly don't think you are making it up.
    Genuinely, most here would like to know where exactly that stretch is for their own reference (and clear up any confusion as to the turn you are speaking of).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It is a problem in 50km zones.

Early morning is bananas in many parts of the city. I was on the ballinlough road at 7:30, keeping to the speed limit, (not 30 or 40kph, more like 52) and mr landrover (in the city, i ask ya) overtook me and zoomed off. A residential zone.

i have seen serious speeding on loads of 50k, even as a pedestrian it's obvious.

And yes, I have seen two bad crashes this year, but not fatal so maybe they don't count :p. One was near the african missions where luckily there was a parked car for it to hit. It rammed into that, and trapped a baby in its buggy up against the wall behind. Baby was fine.

The other one was churchyard lane, near the silver quay, which is now used as a rat run for the lights (thanks areshole councillors). The car in that case mounted the footpath and took down a garden wall. 2 kids playing in the garden, but not by the wall that day thank feck.

The OP probably does not want to identify where they live btw... not that odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

OP, there was one post suggesting that maybe the problem lay with your driving. One!

In fairness to the OP, that ONE post rated fairly high on the asshole scale. Presumably posted by a motorhead who is gods gift to driving and sees other drivers as not worthy...almost ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

The drivers of high end cars are especially prone to acting the maggot, as well as 'rice rocket' drivers.

No, these drivers come in every form. Dont be bashing a stereo type to receive likes.
    Drive neither so its not defending my own car.

mikeecho wrote: »
    I know a few people, including family members who are always complaining about aggressive drivers, yet I very rarely encounter such problems, despite driving the same roads.

My conclusion.. the people who complain are actually woeful drivers who can't maintain a constant speed, eccessively slow down for trivial hazards, don't indicate in time, and generally have poor driving skills, and i notice this being a passenger in the car with them.

Sometimes, it's not the other driver... it's YOU.

Or, going from that post, it's possible YOU are an aggressive driver. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Standing in the junction would be dangerous and stupid and would probably get you moved on by the Gardai, you'd have the Gardai on the scene but not for the reasons you'd want. :pac:

Also, I cant imagine anyone with that much spare time, doing their own police work during the working day.

Another place that is bad for speeding and agressive driving in the city is the road out pass the Silver Springs and O'Leary garage, its not a 100kmh stretch of road until you get to about half way towards the roudabout, I've driven out there doing the speed limit, I think its 60kmh and you'd have people flash and beep you from behind, I just move over and let them on their way, that road has speed vans on it a lot so I never do 100kmh out there until I pass the sign, iove seen too many people go out and do 100kmh only to see the speed van in the 60kmh zone and I laugh.

Advertisement