Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aggressive drivers and no Gardai on N20 outbound

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭mikeecho

*unfollow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I'm calling bullsh1t... there is no way a conviction would follow based purely on the video evidence of a civilian passerby.

Of course there is. A member of the public is a witness, and his testimony is backed up by the footage.

A FCPN can only be issued by a Garda who personally witnessed an offence. s...

What about speed cameras? Photos result in FCPN as well, your argument is invalid...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

grogi wrote: »
    What about speed cameras? Photos result in FCPN as well, your argument is invalid...

FCPN sent via GoSafe speed cameras do so because they are allowed to do so through legislation.

The GoSafe images are sent to the The Fixed Charge Processing Office which is a Garda operated facility.

The FCPN from GoSafe are issued from there.

There is no legislation that allows a random Garda to view a civilian camera recording and issue a FCPN on that basis.

Even if these cases went to court the video evidence from a random civilian would be on very loose ground.

FCPN sent via GoSafe speed cameras do so because they are allowed to do so through legislation.

So the Garda does not need to witness the offence, which was your previous claim...
    GoSafe images are sent to the The Fixed Charge Processing Office which is a Garda operated facility.

The FCPN from GoSafe are issued from there.

There is no legislation that allows a random Garda to view a civilian camera recording and issue a FCPN on that basis.

Read more on how non-intercept offences are handled and when...
    even if these cases went to court the video evidence from a random civilian would be on very loose ground.

Sworn testimony is a valid evidence, especially if backed up by a video like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

To be clear, the Garda viewed a civilian camera recording, took a statement from the witness, took a copy of the recording, send the file to the Inspector, and then issued a FCPN on that basis.

Are you saying that if I present Gardai with clear video evidence of somebody stealing stuff from my shop, they can't prosecute unless they actually see it themself?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'll bet that the OP didn't guess where this thread was going to go!

I'll bet that the OP didn't guess where this thread was going to go!

They never do :)

Advertisement