Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Commuter - What do you put in your bag?

Options
  • 06-09-2017 9:09am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

First time commuting this morning. Brought everything bar the kitchen sink (and my breakfast and lunch!). Was a bit heavy.

What do most people bring with them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

My commute is 2.5km plus work canteen is excellent so tend to survive with minimum food etc.
    On wet days I bring spare clothes and have a set of spare essentials in work just in case. Can you leave stuff somewhere in work rather than carrying excess load each day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I drive in 1 or 2 days a week and leave shirts, shoes, trousers socks and jocks, towels, shower gel, deodorant etc in work. I'm lucky enough to have a locker and shower facilities though.

So in the morning my bag is generally empty except for lunch, on the way home I take my laundry.

Previously when I didn't have a locker I left as much as possible in work, at my desk, and brought what I needed each day. Usually a clean shirt, socks and jocks and lunch.

You do have to plan it out, but once you figure out what works it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Full set of clothes, towel and washbag. Plus a set of running gear if I'm going out at lunchtime.

Panniers for the win.

I do leave a pair of shoes in work though. Not carrying them in and out every day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'll be leaving my shoes/jacket/shower stuff behind today. Then it should just be clothes and lock. Wondering should i leave the lock behind as well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have a locker (and showers) in work, so generally my daily load is clean underwear, a t-shirt, a pair of overshoes, spare batteries for the light, and various keys and whatnot for either end - then occasionally a clean set of trousers/towel.
    i leave the lock in work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

seamus wrote: »
    Full set of clothes, towel and washbag. Plus a set of running gear if I'm going out at lunchtime.

Panniers for the win.

Been dropping hints to the wife that i may need a commuter bike. About to buy a house so that needs to be sorted first!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

8km commute each way.

Bag has the following:

Laptop,
    notebook
    Trousers/jeans
    shirt
    shoes
    socks/jocks
    usb cables
    spare tube
    pump

Work provides: Lockers and towels. I leave my wash stuff in work. MY lights are all rechargeable by USB . U-lock stays in work also, enough to be carry without that. It not using panniers, invest in a good bag that offers back support... I use the Osprey Radial

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

23km each way and a lot of days I take nothing at all with me. I leave almost everything in work - shoes, wash gear, towel, lock, clothes. I have about 10 shirts hanging up used on rotation and 6-7 trousers. Socks and jocks come and go in bulk about once a week. All the other stuff brought home and laundered as required.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm lucky enough to have two (well, three, actually) laptops, so i can leave one at home and one in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, I always ask for an old laptop to keep at-home.

I argue that if I was carrying it in and out on the bike they'd need to replace it 4 times a year from shaking or water damage.

• Advertisement

The commute is about 18km. Not a massive thing. We have only moved office so need to see about lockers but doesnt appear to be any.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I leave my work clothes at work, exchange them once a week (I take a shower next thing after arriving). The lock and cable also stays here.

So my usual cargo is: repair kit, waterproof jacket, overshoes, pump, sandwiches and lunch. Everything fits nicely in a large "bikepacking" style saddle bag (18euro from aliexpress) with room to spare

0cac7f4554776f21ad2ece7d4f04e111.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Suits, shirts, shoes etc. all stay in work. I bring a rucksack with the rest in on Monday morning and bring it home on Friday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

17km each way

Bring:
    Breakfast/lunch
    Shirt / trousers etc
    Spare Jersey
    Puncture kit / spare tube / mini pump
    Bottle
    Baby wipes (no showers)
    Small Towel

Leave in office (locker):
    Work Shoes
    Ties
    Spare socks
    Bike Lock & Cable (have another in UCD and another at home)
    toileteries

I switched from backpack to panniers a few months back when I moved and the commute doubled, it's much better, otherwise I'd arrive in the office a sweaty mess!

** on the 'new commuter bike' a tough sell, however what I did was get a €300 Zelos from Halfords a few years back... Parts have mysteriously been replaced with herself none the wiser (7 speed claris to 10 speed SRAM groupset, Askiums, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

On the Bike;

Minipump and co2 combo (bolted to the frame via the bottle cage bolts)
    In the bottle cage i have a cannister with a multitool, Two spare inner tubes, a puncture repair kit, a spare Co2 cannister and USB front and rear Lights.

I carry: Wallet, Mobile Phone and Keys.

I drive in on Monday...I bring in four days of clothes. I also bring home the previous weeks clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I have three bikes I switch between, so I have a different pannier for each one with a spare tube appropriate for each one (they all have different size wheels). Then I have three small bags (jiffy bags or large ziplok bags) I switch between the panniers. These bags contain:
    1) Small repair kit and mini pump
    2) Set of lights (with spare rechargeable batteries if coming to the end of the current charge cycle)
    3) Two changes of t-shirt

The locks are attached to the bike.
    That works for me. I don't need to wear smart clothes as part of my work right now.

EDIT: I also have a small messenger bag with rain gear and some other stuff I bring with me regardless of mode of travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Saddle bag: tubes, tyre levers and multi tool

Bike: pump

Backpack: shirt, jocks, socks , small USB lights, lunch box and light rain jacket

Locker: shoes, several pants , spare bib shorts and long sleeve jersey, towels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

7.5 km commute.

In saddlebag: mini pump, tubes, tyre levers, allen key, a tiny spare light, 2 paracetemol, some emergency cash (€10 - not really there for the commute - i swap this bag to road bike at weekends.)

In my backpack: A shirt, underwear, socks, kindle, wallet, phone. In a seperate pouch in backpack - emergency waterproof jacket and waterproof backpack cover. These all come back home with me at the end of the day.

Left in my office: My suits, ties, shoes, spare shirt, socks and underwear just in case I forget. Baby wipes.

I wear: unpadded cycling tights or lycra underwear under cotton shorts, cycling top, socks, runners, helmet, glasses. Gloves, with fingerless this time of year, 2 phases of warmer ones depending on weather. Softshell jacket or waterproof if necessary. Never waterproof leggings, far prefer to just let my tights get wet with rain.

I come in, turn on fan, wait to cool down, wipe down sensitive areas with baby wipes, change everything i am wearing.

There is a shower, but I generally don't bother. I shower before I leave, I don't push/race on the commute and a quick wipe down combined with removing the clothing I cycled in is enough. I can lock my office door and it has no internal glass, so can change in there. Convenience of all that outweighs the benefit of a shower, especially as changing in small steamy shower room probably leaves me damper & maybe sweatier than I am after wiping down and changing in office.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

6KM cycle
    • Shirt, socks and underwear
    • Lunch
    • Plastic A4 wallet containing phone, kindle, wallet, work badge, keys
    • If it's raining I'll bring spare cycling gear for the ride home

Every couple of weeks I'll bring in a tupperware of porridge for breakfasts and another of protein powder for mornings after the gym

I have shower facilities in work so shower gear gets left here. And there's a bike shed so no need for a lock.

That all fits into 1 pannier.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

I'd leave as much in work as possible. I nearly never have any bag or back pack as it's a much more comfortable cycle. Puncture repair essentials in a saddle bag and then keys/wallet in pockets.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I tend to bring in as much as possible on a Monday and then generally just my lunch the rest of the week. That said, I've two small panniers so it's handy. Only an 8km commute too, but sometimes I extend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

17km each way.

Bike stuff (tubes, pumps, tools etc) on the bike

Rucksack typically contains
    Wallet & ID
    Phone
    Rain jacket (generally Summer only - winter jacket is waterproof)
    Clothes - socks, jocks & shirt
    Lunch

I'm lucky enough to have excellent shower/locker facilities so I can leave shoes, ties, cleaning stuff in work. I keep a couple of suit jackets on the chair. Luckily don't need to routinely carry a laptop.

Pro tip - fold the shirt around a stiff A4 notebook cover to prevent creases.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

10km commute

In bag:

Rain jacket
    Backpack cover
    Lunch
    Shirt
    Jocks & Socks
    Laptop (not always)
    Spare tube
    Tools
    Spare lights

In work (locker):

Trousers
    Shoes
    Toiletries
    Towel (Changed each week)

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gmacww

35k commute each way so I try to keep it light.

Towel, wash gear and shoes are left in work. My stuff in a locker and the towel in the towel/drying room. I do change the towel regularly so I may or may not be carrying one. We have a full shower room and changing room in our place.

Other than that usb rechargeable lights on the bike with a saddle bag containing two tubes and tyre levers. Backpack main section contains socks, boxers, t-shirt and lunch. Front pocket contains pump and puncture repair kit. Monday I tend to bring in jeans or what not so I may not always carry trousers with me. I do wear them though, I never forget that part!

One thing I'd recommend either panniers or a cycling specific back pack. Nothing as bad on a long commute (mine's pretty long) as a normal back pack rattling around your back. The cycling specific ones have better water proofing and air flow over your back and distribute weight a lot better. Mine also has a built in water proof cover which is also hi vis. Handy. My laptop stays in work and I remote into it from home where I work 2 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Fairly short commute myself so nothing bar lunch and my lights and hi vis as it's getting darker now

one luxury i can dispense with is a spare rainjacket - we have a drying room in work, so if i do arrive wet in the morning, by the time i'm leaving, my top is dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Alternating between 30 and 40 km round trip:

- Commute in work clothes, business casual.
    - Light backpack with rain trousers and puncture repair kit.

Change of clothes each morning at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

7.5 km commute

saddlebag: multitool, tyre repair kit

rack box: mini pump and my lunch

That's it, no spare clothes...that's why I bought an e-bike after all
    (and if it pisses down while I'm due to leave for work, I chicken out, have another coffee and take the car)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

34/36k each way, but 2/3 times a week.
    I requested to keep old laptop for home use, so I avoid worrying about trashing laptop or water damage. I bring a backpack with work clothes for each day and lunch, spare tube, energy drink powder, towel as needed. Pump is clipped to bike via adapter onto bottle cage mount. I leave shoes, lock in work. I'm lucky to have shower in work. I think I would need one even with half the distance.
    Took a while to get into the routine and figure out all the details but was worth it, huge fitness benefits. I pace myself enough to push on the hills, and maintain good overall pace. Wouldn't be interested in doing it if it was gonna take near two hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

18Km commute each way on a road bike wearing lycra gear.
    Bag has lunch, lights, tools, rain jacket, tights, shoe covers, warmer gloves and lock - which I should leave at work but might need if I stop en-route (which I never have yet!) as well as wallet, watch and phone. I'm using Tannus tyres so no pumps or tubes needed.
    I bring clean work gear and extra underwear on the first day to leave in my locker, and take it all home on the last day of my shift.
    I don't have a shower in work, so use baby wipes and deoderant - stashed in my locker.

Advertisement