Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Commuter - What do you put in your bag?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Rokta

Multitool, inflator, two CO2 canisters, tire levers and 2 spare tubes in the saddle bag, set of clothing for that day, towel and laptop in the bag.

It is a short commute of 8 to 10k so I usually do not need to shower but just in case I have a towel. A good backback is a must but I am thinking to add panniers to my winter bike as I am getting sick of the backpack. Lock stays at work same as a pair of shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

15kms each way - showers in work. Drive in at the weekend and leave 5 x shirts + trousers and towel for the week. Daily backpack with fruit for breakfast porridge, packed lunch, socks and jocks. Also tools etc for possibility of puncture ... not needed since I swapped to Durano +'s! Bring home u'wear + used shirt daily!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

12k each way. Not really pushing it in the mornings so far so usually just shower at home and meander out. Have one of those 10litre saddle bags in the post so will likely switch to that in the winter and put a change of clothes and shower kit in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

10-20km, but not as often as I used to now (following a structured indoor training plan, rather than just getting mileage in).

I'd drive at least once a week, so I left work clothes and jocks and socks in there (in a suit bag hung on the coat rail as no lockers). I also tried to leave a few lunches if practical (i.e. if driving in on a monday, I'd leave in Tuesday and Wednesday lunches too, fruit for the week etc). If you need to carry smart work clothes, I have a "IAMRUNBOX" which is great - regularly comes up on sportspursuit, and there's other similar versions.

We have showers as well, so I left a towel and toilteries in work. Although don't always need a shower, especially not with panniers and mainly downhill in - a quick baby wipe instead!

Lock was left locked to the rack. Just carried a few tools and a spare as have marathon plus tyres on it.

Someone mentioned the zelos - well that was my old road bike, so that's what I use as my commuter. I haven't upgraded the components, although I was tempted. The 7 speed cassettes, chains etc are pretty cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

~10Km each way. Thankfully have showers plus changing room on site, wouldn't take a job anywhere that didn't provide them now though.

Stays in the office:
    Shoes
    Jacket
    Sweatshirt which very rarely gets used
    Toiletries
    Towel - changed weekly
    Laptop charger - got a spare one at home
    Track pump
    Spare cycling gear in case I'm thoroughly soaked on the way in

Brought in a backpack each day:
    Trousers/Shorts
    Tshirt
    Socks & jocks
    Laptop
    Wallet
    Phone
    Lunch in tupperware and subsequently wrapped in plastic bag
    Another plastic bag for wet gear
    First aid kid - basic enough but have used it a couple of times

In saddle bag:
    CO2 canister + adapter
    Spare tube
    Tyre lever
    Multi tool
    Small cable ties
    Lezyne self adhesive patches

On bike:
    Mini pump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I bring my clothes, deodorant and my gore-tex jacket in my bag every day. Work has showers with shower gel etc so don't really need much in the way of toiletries. Office is semi-casual so don't need to worry about shirts getting creased etc. Also have my mini-pump in the bag just in case.

I work on a desktop so no need to carry a laptop around.

If I got a flat on the way I'd be pretty screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I bring my clothes, deodorant and my gore-tex jacket in my bag every day. Work has showers with shower gel etc so don't really need much in the way of toiletries. Office is semi-casual so don't need to worry about shirts getting creased etc. Also have my mini-pump in the bag just in case.

I work on a desktop so no need to carry a laptop around.

If I got a flat on the way I'd be pretty screwed.

Just curious.... if you don't have a spare tube/puncture kit, why carry a pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Just curious.... if you don't have a spare tube/puncture kit, why carry a pump?

Basically so I know where it is and it's always close to the bike, it weighs very little. I hardly have anywhere better to put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

15-20k each way depending (sometimes I drive part of the way to leave out the most dangerous part of the commute...)

In work:
    A box of clothes (trousers/dresses)
    Shoes & boots
    toiletries & towels - we have showers in work - plus I can leave my cycling gear to dry during the day.
    hairdryer/brush
    I buy my lunches for the week on a Monday and leave in the fridge in work.

In backpack:
    Monday I carry in a couple of clean blouses & u/w & socks (season dependent!) as well as...
    Tue-Thurs, wallet, keys, gloves, arm warmers and probably some fruit.
    Friday: I bring home laundry.

Saddlebag has spare tube, tools, puncture kit and there's a mini pump on the bike. My bike is beside me in the office so no lock needed although this means I can't stop anywhere on the way home.

Have just purchased this however as even though the backpack is reasonably light I feel it's putting a bit of strain on my neck - it's often heavier on the cycle home as I'd put my jacket in which I've worn on the way in when it's cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

15k reach each way. Switched from using a hybrid with paniers to carbon road bike. Bring in shirt every day and underwear / socks once a week. Everything else is left at work which has fantastic cycling facilities.

As I have Tannus tyres I don't have to carry any pump etc. The overall lower weight had shortened my commute by five to ten minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Basically so I know where it is and it's always close to the bike, it weighs very little. I hardly have anywhere better to put it.

Why not put it on your bike?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/topeak-centre-mount-pump-bracket/rp-prod157662

Advertisement