Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liquid cooling

Options
  • 06-09-2017 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I'm thinking of upgrading my Corsair H60 all in one cooling kit.
    I want to know weather to buy a kit with all the bits or buy individual parts as I want a full liquid cooling setup in my system
    Specs are
    Asus m5a97 r2.0
    Amd 8350
    R9 380x
    250gb ssd
    2tb storage
    120gb Ubuntu
    320gb
    1000w psu
    Dvd rw drive
    5 fans
    4 cathodes
    2 led strips
    Coarsair 750 D case

I do plan on upgrading in future but for now I'm keeping the system the way it is.
    I just want to reduce noise and heat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You would be a bit pushed to find anything other then a CPU block and if you did, I don't think the money would be worth it. Simply spending the money you would want for WC on a better cpu/mobo/memory combo would be far more worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Water-cooling a 8350? Has it ever been done? Really not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You would be a bit pushed to find anything other then a CPU block and if you did, I don't think the money would be worth it. Simply spending the money you would want for WC on a better cpu/mobo/memory combo would be far more worth it.

Exactly what I was thinking. It seems a bit redundant to install water cooling on a lower end setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dmcm_90

Thanks I plan on up upgrading my motherboard board in the future to a gaming one that will take my am 8350 and I'll get 16gb ram as iv 8gb. My cpu does get hot when gaming for long periods of time that's why I'm looking for a better wc

You would be far better off just buying a new CPU, board and DDR4 ram. A Ryzen 1600 would be ideal. The FX series are really poor at this point, even the FX-8350 is slower than an i3 in a lot of games, sometimes around the same speed as a Pentium processor.

Getting a new motherboard for the same CPU would definitely be a waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

dmcm_90 wrote: »
    Thanks I plan on up upgrading my motherboard board in the future to a gaming one that will take my am 8350 and I'll get 16gb ram as iv 8gb. My cpu does get hot when gaming for long periods of time that's why I'm looking for a better wc

I've been water cooling for about 10 years and I have to agree with the guys above that its not really worth it for your rig.

If you were planing to change your motherboard I'd sell the cpu and mobo you have now and add that to the amount you were going to be using for a new mobo.You could get a much cooler running cpu/mobo combo than your current cpu.

You would be far better off just buying a new CPU, board and DDR4 ram. A Ryzen 1600 would be ideal. The FX series are really poor at this point, even the FX-8350 is slower than an i3 in a lot of games, sometimes around the same speed as a Pentium processor.

Getting a new motherboard for the same CPU would definitely be a waste.
    I only have the cpu about 2 years . I find the speed better than my old fx 4170 but the temp us higher on idle.it can handle all the latest games with out any problems

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I only have the cpu about 2 years . I find the speed better than my old fx 4170 but the temp us higher on idle.it can handle all the latest games with out any problems

It is indeed faster than the FX 4170, but understand that FX-8350 actually released in 2012.

I wouldn't throw a full custom loop at a CPU as old as that.

Upgrade the GPU if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

The point people are making, is you will spend more on doing a custom loop than you would upgrading your PC and selling the old parts, and the custom loop will result in less performance than the upgrade would. Your probably looking at maybe 10% gain with the custom loop (probably costing more) versus maybe 30% gain with the upgrade (costing less).

Up to yourself obviously, but I only really see water cooling as option if you are going for very high over clock (on high end hardware) or if you are trying to reduce noise.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    The point people are making, is you will spend more on doing a custom loop than you would upgrading your PC and selling the old parts, and the custom loop will result in less performance than the upgrade would. Your probably looking at maybe 10% gain with the custom loop (probably costing more) versus maybe 30% gain with the upgrade (costing less).

Up to yourself obviously, but I only really see water cooling as option if you are going for very high over clock (on high end hardware) or if you are trying to reduce noise.

In some games the performance increase going to an i5 or Ryzen CPU is far higher than 30% even.

But in general, yeah, if you're happy with the FX from a performance POV, absolutely hang into it, but it's more about economics, it just wouldn't make sense to spend a lot of money on an expensive loop.

• Advertisement

In some games the performance increase going to an i5 or Ryzen CPU is far higher than 30% even.

But in general, yeah, if you're happy with the FX from a performance POV, absolutely hang into it, but it's more about economics, it just wouldn't make sense to spend a lot of money on an expensive loop.
    I'm just looking for the best value for money on weather to buy a kit or buy individual parts. I will eventually upgrade my cpu, mb and gpu.
    At the moment I want to reduce the heat of cpu and keep the system quiet. My cpu gets over 65c with the all in one corsair h60 on full load

If you want lower noise, get an Arctic Liquid Freezer, or Be Quiet Silent Loop

https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=coolwsets&xf=4006_Arctic%7E4006_be+quiet!%7E4008_CPU

Alternatively, replace the stock fan with 2x Noctua NF-P12 in push-pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I'm just looking for the best value for money on weather to buy a kit or buy individual parts. I will eventually upgrade my cpu, mb and gpu.
    At the moment I want to reduce the heat of cpu and keep the system quiet. My cpu gets over 65c with the all in one corsair h60 on full load

65c on full load is good, that would be normal

If you water cool, and then upgrade, you will need to fork out for a new CPU block when you do.

I can't advise on parts, I've never built a custom loop, and likely never will! If you are determined to go that way, despite all the advice to the contrary, I'm sure somebody here could suggest parts/suppliers.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    If you want lower noise, get an Arctic Liquid Freezer, or Be Quiet Silent Loop

https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=coolwsets&xf=4006_Arctic%7E4006_be+quiet!%7E4008_CPU

Alternatively, replace the stock fan with 2x Noctua NF-P12 in push-pull.
    I'm not looking for another all in one I want to be able to cool gpu and the rest of the part's with a full wc. My cpu came with stock cooler and I didn't use it as I had a all in one h60 corsair I bought when I had quad and 4170

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Forget what you've got. If you've got enough money for a custom loop (usually at least €400), then you've got enough for a platform upgrade.

Get a 1600 with a B350 board.

Forget water cooling what you've got. 10/10 useless.

The others have all said this, and I can't stress it enough: It makes absolutely no sense to put any more money into the components you already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

One thing to note that you can get kits from EK that come with all you need to cool the CPU.All off that kit can be reused if upgrading bar maybe a bit more tubing.

You will really struggle to find a block for the GPU and even if you did it would probably cost you more than the card is worth.
    Only option is a universal block for the gpu but then you need to find passive heatsinks for the vram and vrms.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I want to be able to cool gpu and the rest of the part's with a full wc

If you really want to WC then go ahead and WC your system. Because you will gain nothing out of it.

If you want more performance then spend the money on a upgrade, not WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I will mirror everyone else and say that a full watercooled system is a waste based on the components you have. Did you even price a GPU block the are quite expensive if you buy a proper good one from a reputable company.

As was said upgrade to a Ryzen system way better performance. Even Intel would agree with me....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Lu Tze wrote: »
    65c on full load is good, that would be normal

If you water cool, and then upgrade, you will need to fork out for a new CPU block when you do.

I can't advise on parts, I've never built a custom loop, and likely never will! If you are determined to go that way, despite all the advice to the contrary, I'm sure somebody here could suggest parts/suppliers.

On the Fx range of cpu's about 60 is equal to about 100 Degrees. The offset is massive on the cpu's.
    I would say 105 is actually overheating.

For OP:
    With being probably the biggest fan of watercooling here, I wouldn't recommend it but if you want to do it:
    Xspc have the raystorm block for am3 so you could buy parts (get the cpu block second hand so you wouldn't lose much on it if you upgrade).
    Buy each part separate so you don't lose much when you upgrade cpu blocks in the future.
    Go with Xspc raystorm as you can change out the block top for other cpu's in the future when needed.

OP if you're still paying attention to this thread, please upgrade instead of buying a loop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

I used to have FX8350, it served me so well.

The CPU is ok but in the world of gaming, some task's it excels in tho to be fair but gaming may not be one. if I was to do anything Id stick a 120 mill corsair water cooler and run it at 4.4 GHz.

if you have the money for water cooling, save it go with a ryzen build and a 1080 m.2

Don't through to much at old gear.

My motherboard died on me and now I'm looking for the best value on a cpu, mb and ram and ssd along with wc later on in the build

I have upgraded my desktop last weekend
    My specs are
    Ryzen 5 1600x
    Corsair vengeance 16gb Rgb (8x2)
    Drevo 120 ssd (windows 10)
    Seagate barracuda 2tb (storage)
    250gb hdd (Ubuntu)
    Psu 1000w still the same
    Gpu r9 380x still the same
    Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3
    Dvd rom still the same
    Corsair h60 still the same

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Water cooling is only worth it at the bleedin edge. Otherwise you're better off spending the money on better parts. I also find that although it's a constant noise so easier to filter out, an air cooled rig is quieter at idle. I actually regret watercooling.

I'm thinking of upgrading my Corsair H60 all in one cooling kit.
    I want to know weather to buy a kit with all the bits or buy individual parts as I want a full liquid cooling setup in my system
    Specs are
    Asus m5a97 r2.0
    Amd 8350
    R9 380x
    250gb ssd
    2tb storage
    120gb Ubuntu
    320gb
    1000w psu
    Dvd rw drive
    5 fans
    4 cathodes
    2 led strips
    Coarsair 750 D case

I do plan on upgrading in future but for now I'm keeping the system the way it is.
    I just want to reduce noise and heat

I have upgraded my desktop last weekend
    My specs are
    Ryzen 5 1600x
    Corsair vengeance 16gb Rgb (8x2)
    Seagate barracuda 2tb (storage)
    250gb hdd (Ubuntu)
    Psu 1000w still the same
    Gpu r9 380x still the same
    Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3
    Dvd rom still the same
    Corsair h60 still the same

Water cooling is only worth it at the bleedin edge. Otherwise you're better off spending the money on better parts. I also find that although it's a constant noise so easier to filter out, an air cooled rig is quieter at idle. I actually regret watercooling.
    I'm all ready after spending 660 on an upgrade to ryzen and now want a custom loop to over clock

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'm all ready after spending 660 on an upgrade to ryzen and now want a custom loop to over clock

You'd be better off spending the money on a better processor. At a push an AIO cooler is an expensive luxury, a full on water cooling set up is more for show, there's maybe 10% extra in it from a good air cooler to an AIO, and maybe 7% from an AIO to a custom loop.

In fact the main reason for a custom loop would be very quiet operation but that get's bloody expensive very quickly. It also adds quite a bit of maintenance, extra points of failure and reduces the resale value vs. what you paid.

All that said this is a hobby for most of us and if you get some joy out of water cooling your set up more power to you, I loved every second of doing all my set ups. These days though I save myself the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Chingrish on the label, wouldnt be my first choice for the fiver saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You'd be better off spending the money on a better processor. At a push an AIO cooler is an expensive luxury, a full on water cooling set up is more for show, there's maybe 10% extra in it from a good air cooler to an AIO, and maybe 7% from an AIO to a custom loop.

In fact the main reason for a custom loop would be very quiet operation but that get's bloody expensive very quickly. It also adds quite a bit of maintenance, extra points of failure and reduces the resale value vs. what you paid.

All that said this is a hobby for most of us and if you get some joy out of water cooling your set up more power to you, I loved every second of doing all my set ups. These days though I save myself the hassle.

You are 100% right regarding watercooling. People spend a fortune on it just to make their system look good but there is a fair bit of maintenance involved and then if you are inexperienced and you get the worst thing that can happen you a leak and destroy your expensive components. A air cooler is just as good and can be quiet enough as well.

• Advertisement

It really is a waste. If you want better performance, you would have gotten it by buying a better CPU instead of ryzen 1600.

I just don't get the obsession with watercooling, unless you've a high end Intel CPU and are aiming for very heavy overclocks (or just want it to look cool) it doesn't make much sense.

A custom loop with Ryzen would be totally pointless unless you only want it for the looks and nothing else...Ryzen aren't very good overclockers and a good air cooler will be fine.

Advertisement