Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liquid cooling

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dmcm_90

I'm not spending any more money on a cpu. The cpu I have is grate according to benchmarks i have run. I don't mind spending money on a custom loop. All I want to know when I started this thread is what's the beat value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Graphics cards with 120mm AIO built-in I can understand.

CPU -- just get a big Noctua cooler (NH-U12S, NH-U14S, NH-D15).
    Temps are within 3C of even 240mm AIOs yet they're easier to install, cheaper, quieter & more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

There isn't really value for money in terms of water cooling. There is a great shop in Birmingham that will help you (over the phone) make sure everything is compatible. I'll look up the invoice end let you know who! Just get a decent D5 pump the rest is what ever your budget is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

If your not looking to extend the loop in the future this would be fine.
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-a240-fluid-gaming-performance-water-cooling-kit-wc-9ew-ek.html

If your looking to extend your loop in the future I would go with an copper setup instead.
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-kit-s240-performance-watercooling-kit-3831109863527-wc-9ac-ek.html

Water cooling is only worth it at the bleedin edge. Otherwise you're better off spending the money on better parts. I also find that although it's a constant noise so easier to filter out, an air cooled rig is quieter at idle. I actually regret watercooling.

If you do a watercooled system right a watercooled rig would be much quieter all around.
    One of my watercooled systems that I did to be quiet, you cannot tell its on unless you look into it and see the lights in it. Even when running games/video editing its the same.
    One huge benefit of watercooling is you don't need to ramp up your fans ever if your loop is big enough. One of my rigs runs 725rpm on fans, they struggle to start its so slow and my main rig is about 1000rpm.

• Advertisement

deceit wrote: »
    If you do a watercooled system right a watercooled rig would be much quieter all around.
    One of my watercooled systems that I did to be quiet, you cannot tell its on unless you look into it and see the lights in it. Even when running games/video editing its the same.
    One huge benefit of watercooling is you don't need to ramp up your fans ever if your loop is big enough. One of my rigs runs 725rpm on fans, they struggle to start its so slow and my main rig is about 1000rpm.

Willing to bet you hear the pump over the fans though.

Can we please get back to the original post. Don't want know what cpu is better. I just want to know weather buying individual or a kit would be better value for a custom loop

dmcm_90 wrote: »
    Can we please get back to the original post. Don't want know what cpu is better. I just want to know weather buying individual or a kit would be better value for a custom loop

By kit do you mean an AIO like a H100i?

If you mean a kit for a custom loop, you'd at least ensure everything is compatible, which can be an issue. Watch out for cheap pumps though you want a D5 pump unless something better has come along since I was at it.

Are you putting the GPU in the loop?

Willing to bet you hear the pump over the fans though.
    You can't hear the pump at all as it was set up correctly (PWM pump) so yes I would. I've 8 systems in my home at the moment and its the quietest one by far.

If starting on a custom loop start with the one I linked, that will give you good performance and allows for extending (Second link allows you to extend it easier as it is more compatible with 99% of other parts as its copper).

The first loop is like an AIO, it uses aluminum parts like they do so is harder to expand as most extra pieces will be copper. You never mix aluminum and copper.
    A kit is the best option to start off with until you know more about watercooling.

• Advertisement

I don't want aio as.I have a corsair h60. I want know weather buy every separate or buy every in kit that's has every thing I need. I did come across an aio that can have extra parts added to it.

I don't want aio as.I have a corsair h60. I want know weather buy every separate or buy every in kit that's has every thing I need. I did come across an aio that can have extra parts added to it.
    Buy as a kit...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

OP: I want best value components
    *Insists on buying terrible value components*

Full kits will perform better than AIOs, but the hard wall that Ryzen has means there's really no point in buying one, unless you really just want to have a customer loop, which is fine, but just know it's terrible value. Watercooling always has been. This is coming from someone whose run quite a few systems under water.

Also, AIOs have improved since the H60. Pick up a 280mm AIO (if your case will fit it) and slap either EK Vardars or Noctuas on there, and you'll have 90% of the performance of a 280mm custom loop.

Thanks but I'd rather a custom loop. There's plenty of people online with custom loops for ryzen and in my opinion ryzen is better than Intel as it's got better bench mark

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Thanks but I'd rather a custom loop. There's plenty of people online with custom loops for ryzen and in my opinion ryzen is better than Intel as it's got better bench mark

If we really can't sway you away from it - use EKWB's configurator:
    https://www.ekwb.com/custom-loop-configurator/

Only CPU, cylindrical pump
    €341

CPU+GPU, pump in 5.25" bay
    €468

Just be aware that no matter what, you won't break 4.0/4.1GHz on Ryzen 1600x.

Advertisement