Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Vuelta Espana Stage 17 Villadiego - Los Machucos. Monumento Vaca Pasiega (180.5km)

Options
  • 06-09-2017 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭

Vuelta-17a-1.jpg
    Vuelta-17-1.jpg

Another huge day for the GC. The Vuelta has become synonymous with finding obscure and brutal climbs and this year is the turn of Los Machucos or as it is known locally, Collado de la Espina.
    This is utterly savage. I love this kind of stuff. I love to see the pros pulling the same kind of faces I pull when climbing :D
    PROFILCOLSCOTES_2.png
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/segments/13164518 — Collado Espina (Versión. Vuelta2017)
    The first km kicks off in true leg breaker fashion with ramps hitting 17%. Then around 2.5km it goes to an almost impossible 26%, some sources claim 28%. Following a short downhill section comes 2km@10% then more ramps of 22%, 17%, 16%and a final kick of 11%just before the finish line.
    If all that wasn't enough, the road has concrete sections barely wide enough to get two bikes side by side
    los-machucos-google-maps-630x420.png
    2014-04-01+13.59.44.jpg

Apart from that there's 2 other categorised climbs, the Portillo Lunada, 8.3@5.7% and the Puerto Alisas, 10km@6%.

Lopez is far enough back to be let off and his form suggests that he will be very hard to beat on this. Majka is even farther back and can tackle these kinds of slopes too. It's going to be very hard for Sky to keep the train going on that road but Froome looks strong enough to mark any of the other GC boys himself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The whole of the final climb is on google map street view...it is absolutely hilarious. It looks like the worst road youd find the backarse of Donegal or Mayo.

A team could actually block the road and slow everyone down behind them, and let someone escape up the road

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

*keels over and throws up*

That's how I feel just looking at this climb!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

A few videos of the Los Machucos climb are on this Sporza link:
    http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/Vuelta/1.3060824#

2011 Vuelta winner Juan Jose Cobo ('I've never heard of him' I hear you ask :pac:) tackles Los Machucos in the first video

Daniel Oss (BMC) and Lennard Kamna (Sunweb) are DNS

Live coverage has started on Eurosport2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

If the only purpose herds of goats have ever served its to find tracks and paths that can be turned in to "roads" for bike race organisers to use, their purpose has been served. Should be fun watching this though I imagine if your Connor Dunne this is torture

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

A few videos of the Los Machucos climb are on this Sporza link:
    http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/Vuelta/1.3060824#

2011 Vuelta winner Juan Jose Cobo ('I've never heard of him' I hear you ask :pac:) tackles Los Machucos in the first video

I cant see that link at work, but if its the one I'm thinking of, I watched it a few days back. Ignoring Juanjo Cobo for a minute, that is Pedro Delgado he is riding with (he still looks fit...) and while my Castillian is nearly zero, I can hear words like, dangeous, horrible, catastrophe etc from the pair of them.....it should be brutal, but as is the case in some of these extreme days, perhaps it could all become a bit neutralised simply by the level of difficulty and all be a bit, meh, at the end.

I'll still be watching if I can..

140 km remaining from 180 km.

Breakaway have 7'15" lead.

Alessandro De Marchi (BMC), Stefan Denifl (Aqua Blue), Magnus Cort (Orica-Scott), Dani Moreno (Movistar), Julian Alaphilippe (Quick-Step) and Davide Villella (Cannondale-Drapac).

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Lolzers! https://goo.gl/maps/ZWpwHCXPZmE2

I'm so tuning in for the last half hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

I wonder if the fascination with finding ever more outrageous mountain sections in GTs, esp Vuelta is positive in the long term. They can be spectacular but in ultimately trying to outdo the last one, will we head towards a cycling equivalent of crazy golf?

Also applies to some of the off road surfaces being rumoured for TdF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    I cant see that link at work, but if its the one I'm thinking of, I watched it a few days back. Ignoring Juanjo Cobo for a minute, that is Pedro Delgado he is riding with (he still looks fit...) and while my Castillian is nearly zero, I can hear words like, dangeous, horrible, catastrophe etc from the pair of them.....it should be brutal, but as is the case in some of these extreme days, perhaps it could all become a bit neutralised simply by the level of difficulty and all be a bit, meh, at the end.

I'll still be watching if I can..

It's this one from Pedro's "Perico Puerto" channel.

Can't get it to work on my phone but on the laptop go into the YouTube options, turn on CC and select English. Should give you some kind of subtitles to get the gist of things

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

rtmie wrote: »
    I wonder if the fascination with finding ever more outrageous mountain sections in GTs, esp Vuelta is positive in the long term. They can be spectacular but in ultimately trying to outdo the last one, will we head towards a cycling equivalent of crazy golf?

I agree ....though I do like todays finale ...but Sunday's stage was too long for me and was boring for it

I do like the Angliru though and the Zoncolon

What I would suggets is keeps some spectacular climbs but temper the racing with more rouler stages & sprint stages ....there a more than one type of rider in a GT

I think its better they use roads and surfaces normal people use and try to challenge themselves on. They've gotten rid of a few climbs in the TDF from years ago because the caravan & entourage has gotten to big. Nothing to do with the riders or road surface. These guys are the elite of cyclists with access to the best bikes and equipment and should be well able to cope with tough gradients and surafces.

the routes been talked about for the TDF are already used for pro racing, the tro bro leon race is probably the best known that uses them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

How many kilometres to the finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Eamonnator wrote: »
    How many kilometres to the finish?

Scary stuff here on the descent :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Will have to record this!!

Visibility must have been about 10m at the worst of it, maybe looked worse on TV than it was?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The first Tour de France to visit the high mountains was the 1910 tour, which took in the Pyrenees. Octave Lapize, who went on to win it, condemned the organisers, saying you couldn't ask human beings to do a thing like ride up the Tourmalet. When he met them at the top, he shouted at them that they were murderers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

The first Tour de France to visit the high mountains was the 1910 tour, which took in the Pyrenees. Octave Lapize, who went on to win it, condemned the organisers, saying you couldn't ask human beings to do a thing like ride up the Tourmalet. When he met them at the top, he shouted at them that they were murderers.

Given that the riders had to do all their own repairs and that the stages were about 320kms in length and had 1910 type surfaces on the mountains, he was right.

• Advertisement

Yates and chavez attack on the penultimate climb

some team director said the race organisers wanted blood the 1st time they sent them up the angliru

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

neris wrote: »
    some team director said the race organisers wanted blood the 1st time they sent them up the angliru

http://www.velonews.com/2002/09/news/road/millar-protests-brutal-angliru_3067

Denifl for Aqua Blue is on fire at the moment getting up that climb

(sorry :pac:)

I'm willing him up this climb here, come on Stefan!!!!!!!

Froome in trouble?

Aqua Blue taking a win in the Vuelta will be an amazing result! Come on Stefan!

Aqua Blue taking a win on one of the hardest stages in the Vuelta will be an amazing result! Come on Stefan!

;);)

Point taken! I agree with Neris!

• Advertisement

Come on Stefan! Keep it going!

(watching that gap is torture)

Advertisement