Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Vuelta Espana Stage 17 Villadiego - Los Machucos. Monumento Vaca Pasiega (180.5km)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

This is obscene!

:eek:

Froome is lucky he has a man left here I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

cmon Nibali aswell

fcuk off contador 2nd will be good enough for u today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

From the Cyclingnews site: "Froome's eyes are glued to his stem, but his battery seems flat."

:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

1 km to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Stefan has this!!

ffs eurospoirt

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Great for Aqua Blue, historic...

• Advertisement

even if Nico doesnt win a stage we have a stage win

xtlvW1m.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Froome with 1min 16s cushion on Nibs in the GC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Froome with 1min 16s cushion on Nibs in the GC.

Question now is will other teams have the guts to attack him consistently or will everyone ride to preserve their top 10?

Awesome performance from Denifl - great result for Aquablue - should see them pick up at least one GT next year again.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

neris wrote: »
    rtmie wrote: »
    I wonder if the fascination with finding ever more outrageous mountain sections in GTs, esp Vuelta is positive in the long term. They can be spectacular but in ultimately trying to outdo the last one, will we head towards a cycling equivalent of crazy golf?

Also applies to some of the off road surfaces being rumoured for TdF.

I think its better they use roads and surfaces normal people use and try to challenge themselves on. They've gotten rid of a few climbs in the TDF from years ago because the caravan & entourage has gotten to big. Nothing to do with the riders or road surface. These guys are the elite of cyclists with access to the best bikes and equipment and should be well able to cope with tough gradients and surafces.

the routes been talked about for the TDF are already used for pro racing, the tro bro leon race is probably the best known that uses them
    Just for me I don't enjoy watching long sections that are basically closed off motorway, but neither do I want it to go to extremes. Haven't seen today's stage, waiting for highlights but from photos it looks like some of it was across what looked like concrete beams laid on the ground. So it is about a happy medium that gives variety of test without making it a lottery of mechanicals. 
    WRT proposed TdF Routes I was thinking about some different suggestions I saw that looked pretty much like gravel trails, rather than the To Bro Leon sections, which I know are raced.
    Little known fact - that race gets its name from the similarity of the racing surfaces to a well known Swiss confectionery product. (I'll get my coat!)

You wonder how much this stage will take out of all of the GC contenders.
    Froome has faded before and he came back strongly will he do it again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I was just thinking that after making the most of everything thrown at them that ABS will be high up the list of wildcard teams picking up interest from the grand tour organisers.

It would be thoroughly deserved too!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

You wonder how much this stage will take out of all of the GC contenders.
    Froome has faded before and he came back strongly will he do it again

He's been on a slow downward trend all race, attacking in week 1, defending in week 2 and losing time now in week 3. I think it is touch and go that he can hang on on Angliru based on today.

Inquitus wrote: »
    He's been on a slow downward trend all race, attacking in week 1, defending in week 2 and losing time now in week 3. I think it is touch and go that he can hang on on Angliru based on today.

Well he attacked on the ITT, you wonder if he realised he would (and his support) would fade on todays finish and put gas into the ITT to bump up his lead.

Was it enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Was Froome suffering or was it just for the camera's and he is content to lose 30-40 seconds on Nibali? Hmm, I don't know but if he is tiring then he could lose it on the Angliru. A bit of irony there considering 2011.

You can see why Contador has done so well at the Giro and Vuelta. 10% plus gradients for several kilometres suit his out of the saddle style. He'd be right on Froome's tail on GC if not for the bad day. He could win on the Angliru.

Again, one or two eye opening performances on that last climb.

• Advertisement

I was just thinking that after making the most of everything thrown at them that ABS will be high up the list of wildcard teams picking up interest from the grand tour organisers.

It would be thoroughly deserved too!

the downside to aqua blue is they may loose riders to WT teams as their profiles have increased by being in the Vuelta and also they have the American national champion who,ll probably want to get back to world tour

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

the downside to aqua blue is they may loose riders to WT teams as their profiles have increased by being in the Vuelta and also they have the American national champion who,ll probably want to get back to world tour

Mullen and Deignan may very well be available

Nico finished in 22nd place, 2:32 behind the winner and 23 seconds ahead of TvG.

Chaves had a nightmare; 5:52 behind the winner and drops from 9th to 12th in GC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Was Froome suffering or was it just for the camera's and he is content to lose 30-40 seconds on Nibali?

Sky have bluffed before but usually in the opposite way - send a train out to up the pace and pretend that Froome feels really good to deter others from attacking. The way they like to dominate and control things would make it seem unlikely that he'd let a rival go if he could easily stick with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Chaves had a nightmare; 5:52 behind the winner and drops from 9th to 12th in GC.
    Could be intentional if he's given up on GC and instead wants to be free to take Angliru without being marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Blowfish wrote: »
    Could be intentional if he's given up on GC and instead wants to be free to take Angliru without being marked.

Not intentional...he is knackered as seen yesterday

Nico finished in 22nd place, 2:32 behind the winner and 23 seconds ahead of TvG.

Hopefully Nico is feeling better Was feeling really bad since Saturday ... but maybe can now rally a bit a go for a stage

Looking at the stage classification, it's like as if a bomb went off in the peloton. Everyone finishing in ones or twos, no big grupetto.

http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Vuelta_a_Espana_2017_Stage_17_Los_Machucos_Monumento_V

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

But they will also attract sponsors and new riders too.

• Advertisement

Guess SKY will want to buy S Denifl now....he climbed the last climb today faster than everyone bar 7 riders...Contador, Lopez, Nibali, Zakarin, Kelderman , Majka & Woods

Advertisement