Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryanair baggage changes

• 06-09-2017 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

Ryanair has announced that customers will only be allowed to bring a small bag on board from November 1st if they don't pay for priority boarding.

The dimensions are smaller than most backpacks.

Facebook has already gone mad...

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

They will tag bags for free at the gate as before, but all bags will be tagged for non priority customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-to-lower-checked-bag-fees/

as far as I can see I won't be affected as I use one carry on bag which meets allowed dimensions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sounds like an attempt to tighten turns after the seating debacle slowdowns to me - not many will pay to carry on more than once if the gate drop is done right, so it's definitely not a revenue move. Fly regional airlines anywhere basically and larger "cabin" bags are gate dropped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

737max wrote: »
    http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-to-lower-checked-bag-fees/

as far as I can see I won't be affected as I use one carry on bag which meets allowed dimensions.

You have to check that in:
    We hope that by restricting non-priority customers to one small carry-on bag – their wheelie bag must be placed in the hold, free of charge at the boarding gate

So if it fits in the Front sizer then you can bring it on (Small Bag)
    If it fits in the back sizer unless you paid for Priority then you must put it in the hold

2013-12-05-14-37-07.jpg

Not sure of your interpretation.
    I read that as where you have two bags your wheelie case must be left at the steps. Mine is a squidgy backpack and have never been challenged up to now when they were forcing all the excess wheelie cases in to the hold at the steps to the aircraft.

• Advertisement

Not sure of your interpretation.
    I read that as where you have two bags your wheelie case must be left at the steps. Mine is a squidgy backpack and have never been challenged up to now when they were forcing all the excess wheelie cases in to the hold at the steps to the aircraft.

The changes announced today are pretty clear - its not just wheelie cases they're saying will have to be gate dropped; its anything above the 'small item' scale which a backpack is not.

Rules and implementation thereof could easily vary wildly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Excellent new policy by Ryanair here in my opinion. They'll be boarding full flights in 7 or 8 minutes if it's implemented correctly. Leaving their competitors long behind.
    And I really don't see why people would be so upset about this basically they're allowing you to take a case for free the only stipulation is you carry it to the boarding gate yourself. If you want the convenience of keeping it above your head during the flight then you pay for priority boarding simple!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Any bag that you have to put up in the overhead lockers won't be going onboard without priority boarding, they'll be in the hold.

Any bag that you can put under the seat on front of you, you can take on-board.

Think it's a great move by Ryanair, well thought out and implemented.

My current strategy for Ryanair is to book as early as free check-in allows to get an aisle or window seat and don't join the queue to board the plane until the very last moment when the staff at the gate are hurrying to close check-in. With a squidgy bag which meets carry-on dimensions I think I'm OK and I welcome the changes as I was never not adhering to their cabin baggage rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

actually, having read this thread and the Ryanair link from Redcup above, I think change is pretty good. I'm flying soon and will need to bring a wheelie (far less than 10KG) but obviously don't want to pay to check it in in the conventional sense. brining it to the gate and having it put in the hold for free is perfect and if this move helps speed things up then all the better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Any bag that you have to put up in the overhead lockers won't be going onboard without priority boarding, they'll be in the hold.

Any bag that you can put under the seat on front of you, you can take on-board.

Think it's a great move by Ryanair, well thought out and implemented.

I agree but I think it's been poorly worded in some reports. The report I read said for people with two bags the bigger one will be checked unless you have PB. So for someone with no PB but just one wheelie bag then there's no change but I don't think this is the case, it's all wheelies in hold unless you buy PB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

What about the changes to family plus?? 2 years ago, all kids bags were half price. Last year, only 15kg were half price. this year, you must buy family plus add on, get 2x20kg with one half price but you also must get priority boarding so works out about the same (i.e. free priority boarding)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I think its positive and I don't massively care personally. The restriction will hit me where I want to bring my small backpack (which is itself slightly larger than the baby-sizer) and my camera bag. Even though both will fit under the seat in front of me... albeit a squash.

Unfortunately rather than just hopping off the plane people will now start complaining (rightly) about the often ridiculous delays in baggage appearing on the carousel after the flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Always prefer to have my wheelie bag put into the hold at the gate anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Can't see how it's going to make any difference to any flight I've ever been on. Upping the checked in baggage allowance is irrelevant. No-one I've travelled with (or picked up from the airport) in the last ten years has ever paid for checked-in baggage, and most of us have always been quite happy to dump the wheelie case at the steps or boarding gate.

Of course on Monday, when I was randomly allocated seat 4A and my son was in 8D, so we had every reason to wait till very last minute before boarding, they didn't take our cases, which ended up being stowed several rows behind us. :rolleyes:

(And of course there was someone sitting in my 4A seat, which wasn't a problem for me, but then he had to wait while I waited for a chance to go against the flow of traffic to get my case out of the locker ...)

I miss the old Ryanair. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Can't see how it's going to make any difference to any flight I've ever been on. (

indeed, I am assuming many more people will just pay for priority boarding and we have the same result as now only extra €6 per person for Ryanair - genuis again really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

At least they didn't decide to introduce the out the policy some of the american low cost carriers are running Spirit charges $50+ to carry on a baf at the gate if you haven't paid for it already. Just hope the cost of priority boarding doesn't go up. But I can see the priority queue being as long as the other queue when this does come in. Now if Ryanair could fix their seating policy we would all be set.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Riskymove wrote: »
    indeed, I am assuming many more people will just pay for priority boarding and we have the same result as now only extra €6 per person for Ryanair - genuis again really

They won't pay for allocated seating in many cases so are unlikely pay for priority boarding.

In many cases Ryanair priority boarding just allows you to stand in the cold or rain or beating sun in a cattle crush at the edge of the apron while watching those incoming passengers on your plane alight the aircraft.

I don't see how Ryanair will implement this smoothly in Frankfurt Main where everyone gets a bus to the aircraft. that aircraft isn't set up to confiscate large numbers of bags and cases at the gate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

Why do I keep seeing comments about the bags having to be picked up at the carousel? Has this been confirmed? Myabe you'll just pick them up at the bottom of the steps like you do at the moment if you're outside the 90 bags allowed on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

SteM wrote: »
    Why do I keep seeing comments about the bags having to be picked up at the carousel? Has this been confirmed? Myabe you'll just pick them up at the bottom of the steps like you do at the moment if you're outside the 90 bags allowed on.

Anytime I've left my back at the gate to go in the hold I've collected from carousel. I'd presume it would slow down the process of unloading the flight, also be an issue if your disembarking using an air bridge. I would have assumed it'll always be a carousel collection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

duffman13 wrote: »
    Anytime I've left my back at the gate to go in the hold I've collected from carousel. I'd presume it would slow down the process of unloading the flight, also be an issue if your disembarking using an air bridge. I would have assumed it'll always be a carousel collection

I must me be remembering incorrectly. It's only happened to me once and I thought I got it at the foot of the steps? Maybe I'm mixing it up with bringing a pram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

In many cases Ryanair priority boarding just allows you to stand in the cold or rain or beating sun in a cattle crush at the edge of the apron while watching those incoming passengers on your plane alight the aircraft.

I don't see how Ryanair will implement this smoothly in Frankfurt Main where everyone gets a bus to the aircraft. that aircraft isn't set up to confiscate large numbers of bags and cases at the gate.
    if thats the case they could do it like Lufthansa regional services and take the bags at the bottom of the steps into a small cart, and load them from there into the hold, and pickup then at steps on arrival at the destination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Can't really see them giving them back at the steps. Surely it would involve 90 plus pax standing around the apron waiting for them to be unloaded

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Any bags taken from beside the plane go the carousel on arrival. The only exception are prams and buggies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

They won't pay for allocated seating in many cases so are unlikely pay for priority boarding.

getting to keep your bag with you is a big thing for a lot of people though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

if thats the case they could do it like Lufthansa regional services and take the bags at the bottom of the steps into a small cart, and load them from there into the hold, and pickup then at steps on arrival at the destination.

That's done commonly all across the US. Valet baggage. Presumably it's easier for them just to bring them all in with the other luggage rather than have people hanging around waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭trellheim

Pickup at steps is what Cityjet do and I absolutely hate it as you are banned from getting off until it has been done ( sometimes over 15 mins waiting even if you do not have a bag waiting at the steps ) as they do not want sheep wandering the apron ; far better to do it at the carousel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I assume suit bags become an issue now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Is there a limit to how many priority boarding passengers there are on a Ryanair flight?

What if everybody decided that they wanted to pay for priority boarding, will the system allow them to buy it...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Is there a limit to how many priority boarding passengers there are on a Ryanair flight?

Yes. Only ninety per flight.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Generally OK with it and will pay the few € when time an important factor, but not sure why they couldnt just have done away with the second bag instead.

On the collection, how frequently does anyone see their bag already carouseling before they get to it themselves ?

Not sure Ive ever had that experience even once in my life..

"What happens my checked cabin bag at the other end?

It will appear on the baggage carousel in arrivals along with the other checked luggage. Some passengers have expressed frustration that this removes a key convenience of flying with hand luggage only (unless you fork out €5, of course).

However, Jacobs believes delays won't be an issue for Non-priority customers checking their 10kg cabin bags at the boarding gate.
    "90pc of time the bag will be at the carousel before you will," he says."

Generally OK with it and will pay the few € when time an important factor, but not sure why they couldnt just have done away with the second bag instead.

On the collection, how frequently does anyone see their bag already carouseling before they get to it themselves ?

Not sure Ive ever had that experience even once in my life..

"What happens my checked cabin bag at the other end?

It will appear on the baggage carousel in arrivals along with the other checked luggage. Some passengers have expressed frustration that this removes a key convenience of flying with hand luggage only (unless you fork out €5, of course).

However, Jacobs believes delays won't be an issue for Non-priority customers checking their 10kg cabin bags at the boarding gate.
    "90pc of time the bag will be at the carousel before you will," he says."
    In my experience this is fairly regular. Especially if you have to clear passport control, the 5-10 mins it takes to disembark from the aircraft and then another 5-10 mins through passport check means the bags are probably on the belt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The rare time I've been waiting for baggage in Dublin, I've walked from the Ryanair gates, gotten through passport control and then waited up to 20 minutes for baggage. I have never, in almost any airport, been there after the baggage is on the carousel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I've seen people who have the yellow tags attached (for bags to go in the hold), remove them and chance their arm to take them on board anyway.

I am presuming that under the new system your boarding card will be checked and if you have PB you bring your wheelie in, if not, you don't.

Is there a chute or hatch in the cabin where non PB bags can be lowered into the hold does anyone know? There could be a bit of a hitch if several non PB passengers try to take their bags on.

But I suppose it will all settle down eventually.

Very good move. If you have PB, no worries about finding room in the overheads. If you don't, you pick up your bags from the carousel on arrival.

I'm very happy about it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

The last time I offered my bag to Ryanair at the gate was from DUB-BHX about 6 months ago and I was waiting 35 mins for my bag. It could well have been an anomaly but it made me hesitant about giving them my bag again.

I've seen people who have the yellow tags attached (for bags to go in the hold), remove them and chance their arm to take them on board anyway.

I am presuming that under the new system your boarding card will be checked and if you have PB you bring your wheelie in, if not, you don't.

Is there a chute or hatch in the cabin where non PB bags can be lowered into the hold does anyone know? There could be a bit of a hitch if several non PB passengers try to take their bags on.

But I suppose it will all settle down eventually.

Very good move. If you have PB, no worries about finding room in the overheads. If you don't, you pick up your bags from the carousel on arrival.

I'm very happy about it anyway.
    There is NO access from the cabin to the hold on Ryanair(or any?) commercial aircraft. 
    Yes as far as I know crew still check boarding passes so they will know who's entitled to bring their case into the cabin.
    Ryanair have been clear and said failure to comply with this new policy mean you may be refused travel without a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭testtech05

fg1406 wrote: »
    The last time I offered my bag to Ryanair at the gate was from DUB-BHX about 6 months ago and I was waiting 35 mins for my bag. It could well have been an anomaly but it made me hesitant about giving them my bag again.

Similar to this story. I don't really have a problem with the policy but was recently waiting on the opposite end of a flight for 1hr 20mins at the carousel after having my bag checked free of charge.
    I think this will force a lot of people into paying for priority if you need to catch onward flights/bus etc

fg1406 wrote: »
    Part and parcel of flying I'm afraid. Aircraft were never designed for everyone to carry a case in to the cabin! Theres a reason they were built with a baggage hold in the belly, and what was originally a "hat rack" above seats. Ryanair are in a way reverting to the traditional and intended form of flying :- bags go in the hold, passengers go in the cabin! 
    In my experience of flying 90% of the time bags will arrive on the belt within 15min of arriving on stand.
    If it reassures anyone, most airlines agree a contract with airports that means their bags must be delivered on the belt within this time (15 mins) if bags aren't consistently delivered in this time frame then the handling agent or airport are in breach on contract with the airline and will be penalised. So its in everyones interest to get bags delivered quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Locker10a wrote: »
    There is NO access from the cabin to the hold on Ryanair(or any?) commercial aircraft. 
    Yes as far as I know crew still check boarding passes so they will know who's entitled to bring their case into the cabin.
    Ryanair have been clear and said failure to comply with this new policy mean you may be refused travel without a refund.

Thanks for the info about access to the hold from the cabin, I was never sure about that!

I suppose my point was, if non PB passengers try to take their bags on board, there could be delays. They will have to turn back, put their bags beside the truck and re board. Would that be correct? Or will there be someone beside the luggage truck on the apron checking boarding passes before people go up the steps?

You can see that there could be a bit of a pinchpoint if pax decide to try it out.

But as I said earlier, it will become the norm and will settle down in time I suppose.

Good move. As you say, the belly is for bags, the overheads for hats and coats:P Or your wheelie if you pay for the privilege.

Thanks for the info about access to the hold from the cabin, I was never sure about that!

I suppose my point was, if non PB passengers try to take their bags on board, there could be delays. They will have to turn back, put their bags beside the truck and re board. Would that be correct? Or will there be someone beside the luggage truck on the apron checking boarding passes before people go up the steps?

You can see that there could be a bit of a pinchpoint if pax decide to try it out.

But as I said earlier, it will become the norm and will settle down in time I suppose.

Good move. As you say, the belly is for bags, the overheads for hats and coats:P Or your wheelie if you pay for the privilege.
    It happens regularly that people try to bring tagged bags into the cabin, the crew usually take them and leave them aside in the galley and ground staff fetch them.
    Ryanair tend to be efficient and innovative, how they will manage the boarding and supervision of bags i don't know yet but I'm sure if its the case that people are being chancers they will have to find a way around it, like you say checking boarding cards before you ascend the steps etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭NH2013

Surely it'll just switch to the opposite of the moment and only approved bags are going to be allowed into the cabin which will have some sort of green tag or equivalent, so it won't matter if people rip off the yellow tags for bags bound for the hold as if they don't have a green tag it won't be let on?

NH2013 wrote: »
    Surely it'll just switch to the opposite of the moment and only approved bags are going to be allowed into the cabin which will have some sort of green tag or equivalent, so it won't matter if people rip off the yellow tags for bags bound for the hold as if they don't have a green tag it won't be let on?
    That would be an excellent option, tag the bags allowed in the cabin as opposed to the ones going into the hold. Hold bags would of course need a destination tag too this could be done as they are placed on the cart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I flew on an Ilyushin IL-86 aircraft a good few years ago and this aircraft had access to the lower deck baggage bays, we boarded the aircraft through a sort of air stairs door on the lower fuselage, deposited our bags on a rack and continued up a small flight of stairs into the main cabin itself. From what I remember we weren't allowed access our baggage in flight but it was certainly possible to through a door in the floor across the stairs at the back (and possibly the front).

I flew on an Ilyushin IL-86 aircraft a good few years ago and this aircraft had access to the lower deck baggage bays, we boarded the aircraft through a sort of air stairs door on the lower fuselage, deposited our bags on a rack and continued up a small flight of stairs into the main cabin itself. From what I remember we weren't allowed access our baggage in flight but it was certainly possible to through a door in the floor across the stairs at the back (and possibly the front).

I think it would be a fantastic idea especially for tackling baggage issues but poses obvious security issues

ATRs have access to the forward hold from the cabin also; again passengers aren't actually allowed in to rummage around for their bags in flight though.

As far as I remember, this caused trouble for an Irish olympic shooter as EI couldn't let him check his guns to ABZ due to the risk of someone being able to access them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Does anyone else find it a bit mad that the change is now even more restrictive than under the old system before they became "customer oriented"? They say you can take "One small bag e.g. handbag, laptop bag etc. not exceeding 35cm x 20cm x 20cm" when it used to be one bag up to 55cm x 40cm x 20cm in size. Everyone knew where they stood with the old rule, and you could bring a rucksack bigger than the new size and still fit it under the chair if needed.

It seems to be a material change to the terms and conditions of a flight - I'd be raging if I was sticking to the rules at the time I bought a ticket only to be told I'd need to pay now for priority boarding or else put a (fits under the seat) bag in the hold. €5 per passenger is not a disaster I suppose, but many people will be caught out when their one "cabin-size" bag ends up going to be chucked in the hold.

I suppose passengers with laptops, cameras, spare batteries, are to be told to remove all that before handing their baggage over for hold storage? I can see that ending well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Im having a hard time getting a definitive answer on this. Can anyone here advise?

I have a flight in the morning to Stansted. I want to bring a cabin bag (55 x 40 x 20 and less than 10kg) to store overhead, and I also want to bring a suit bag like below:

61oMx8MosAL._SY355_.jpg

Is this allowed? The suit bag obviously falls outside the permitted dimensions given that the width/height is slightly larger than that of a suit jacket, though I guess it can be folded....?

Or do I need to upgrade my booking to Priority for this to be permitted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Priority boarding does NOT change your baggage allocation, it only changes where it goes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement