Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord or tenant responsible for toilet issues?

Options
  • 06-09-2017 12:50pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Water is running from the cistern into the toilet bowl, so it won't fill at all. Seems to be an issue with the mechanism, causing the seal to not be secure, it's hard to tell exactly what is wrong. With some fiddling the cistern will fill for one flush.

Another issue that appeared after an individual new boiler was installed in our apartment instead of shared one at attic level, is that after you flush the toilet it takes 20-30 minutes to fill the cistern (when it is working). This seems ridiculously long, especially as it's very noisy when the boiler is working for that long.

Before I go messing with these things, does a landlord or tenant usually look after issues like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Landlord's responsibility for both. The time to fill the cistern sounds like a problem with a pump. There seems to be a separate issue with the toilet itself leaking from the cistern.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Its the ball cock mechanism.

Common enough and easily fixable IF you know what your doing. This would however, definitely be a LL job as any messing could lead to significant water damage.

I suspect the two issues are coincidental.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah they are different issues of course. Thanks guy, I'll contact them so. The cistern issue (according to plumbers on youtube it can be a lot of different issues wrong with the mechanism, quite often they recommend just getting a new one). I know the water pressure is very low after the move of boiler in general but that did not seem right that it would be so low.

Didn't like the idea of being held responsible for anything going wrong with water damage so will be glad to hand it over. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Askthe EA wrote:
    Common enough and easily fixable IF you know what your doing. This would however, definitely be a LL job as any messing could lead to significant water damage.

+1
    I once had a similar issue, slow filling and then overflowing into the toilet. Just had to move the clip on the arm of the ball cock. It was preventing it going down far enough to flow in properly and also preventing it moving into position to stop the inflow.

Test it by moving it manually up and down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

Don't even think of touching it. It is down to the LL and you wont get any thanks if anything goes wrong! It is his / her problem to do with their house. Let them fix it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement