Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Replacement

Options
  • 06-09-2017 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

So the more I look at the array of gas cylinder availability and connector types the more confused I become. I am running low on a 7kg blue Calor butane cylinder and looking to buy a replacement. The regulator is a 29mBar, 21mm clip on type. But from what I can tell, this cylinder type is available only in the north unless anyone knows differently.

So I am coming to the conclusion that I should just replace with something more readily available in the ROI. This would surely mean changing regulator.

Can I use Propane without making any adjustments to my Electrolux Fridge, Carver water heater and Propex space heater? I can't seem to find info in the manufacturers documentation on gas type to use.

The propane regulators I looked at in B&Q were higher pressure, 37mBar. Is this ok to switch to?

I am also a bit confused about the Calor Patio Gas. Is this just Propane too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

So the more I look at the array of gas cylinder availability and connector types the more confused I become. I am running low on a 7kg blue Calor butane cylinder and looking to buy a replacement. The regulator is a 29mBar, 21mm clip on type. But from what I can tell, this cylinder type is available only in the north unless anyone knows differently.

So I am coming to the conclusion that I should just replace with something more readily available in the ROI. This would surely mean changing regulator.

Can I use Propane without making any adjustments to my Electrolux Fridge, Carver water heater and Propex space heater? I can't seem to find info in the manufacturers documentation on gas type to use.

The propane regulators I looked at in B&Q were higher pressure, 37mBar. Is this ok to switch to?

I am also a bit confused about the Calor Patio Gas. Is this just Propane too?

You could probably get the bottle refilled near you, or change to a jumbo regulator and 6kg/7kg calor/flogas bottles. Patio gas is just propane using 27mm clip on reg. You can also get the flogas gaslight bottles with the same connection. Thats what I've switched to because they're easier for the wife to lift in and out when shes off on her own.

If its a factory conversion and the van is old its probably tested for 28mbar butane 37mbar propane, at sometime in the naudies they changed to 30mbar bulkhead regulator and pig tails. Theres a european standard that would usually be on the id sticker will say something like 28/30/37 or 30/30 at least there was on my smev oven and hob and dometic fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭jace_da_face

I'm not aware of any facility that will refill your cylinder and return it to you. Does that service exist? I've only ever seen ready filled cylinders in service stations etc. whereby you just hand in your empty in return.

The gas light cylinder looks very handy. But that seems to be an online ordering service only ?? Plus I would really need to invest in two if I was to be sure not to get caught out without gas. I have two blue butane cylinders. Getting them refilled would sort me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Theres a map on the flogas site with gaslight stockists. I got mine from the local stockist.

You can get refills at various depots around the country depends on where you are off the top of my head
    Limerick - Ger Walter
    Cork - Forge Hill

If you post your location or search on here you'll find others

dometic-sticker-highlight-small.jpg

G30 = butane (30mbar)
    G31 = propane (37 mbar)

Butane is more energy dense.

Advertisement