Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection Problems for 18 months

Options
  • 06-09-2017 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

I don't know where to start with this thread. We were originally with Sky when this problem started, but are now with Eir. Around 18 months ago (whilst with Sky) we began getting connection issues where we would lose connection to the internet at random times and random lenghts of time. When we rang Sky they would send out an Eir engineer. I couldn't begin to estimate the number of times Eir engineers have been to our house for this same problem. We have been with Eir for around 3 months. I moved to Eir because Sky seemed incompetent at fixing our issue. So my thought was that Eir owns the line and it is always an Eir engineer that comes to us so we would have a better chance of getting it sorted with Eir. It may even be a problem on Skys side, so moving to Eir would fix it if that is the case. I was wrong, very wrong.
    Some of the things that have been changed is -
    The socket/splitter - 3 times
    Modem - 4 (between Sky and Eir)

I have now resorted to the customer complaints department. This is not going well. I submitted 1st complaint on 23/8, the reply I got said someone would come back to me in 2 days. 8 days later I got a reply, which was frankly baffling. The reply said the splitter/socket had been replaced again and thismhad fixed problem. The splitter/socket had NOT been changed again and the problem was NOT fixed. How customer complaints department could come back with such a reply, I have no idea. I replied to this email with another complaint explaining this is not the case. Again reply said 2 days for them to get back. That was 1/9 today is 6/9.
    I intend to now persue this with COMREG in the hope that they can inspire you to actually do something.
    I replied to the text message I recieved from yourselves informing you that fault is not fixed. Your reply said someone will be in touch in 24 hours, that was 3 days ago.
    What is going on Eir? Is this any way to run a business? I'm not asking much, I just want a stable connection. I don't expect it to be perfect, I'm an engineer myself and I know things sometimes go wrong. But 18 months of same problem and still not fixed. I know the full 18 months I wasn't with Eir, but it was Eir engineers that were being sent out. I've heard all kinds of excuses, the plug sockets that the modem is plugged in to was one. When i was with Sky I had home plugs to connect my pc to modem and was told this may be causing it. Then when Eir came out and installed modem/tv box you used your own home plugs!!??
    We also cannot watch Eir tv as it constantly freezes and reboots every 10-15 minutes. I rang technical support and they said it is because of the internet connection dropping. I knew he would say this but thought I'd give it a try anyway. I don't know if this is true or not, but we watch a lot of Netflix/Nowtv/Prime and it doesn't happen to any of them.
    Can you please look into this as it has gone on for far too long and we are sick of it now.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

I don't know where to start with this thread. We were originally with Sky when this problem started, but are now with Eir. Around 18 months ago (whilst with Sky) we began getting connection issues where we would lose connection to the internet at random times and random lenghts of time. When we rang Sky they would send out an Eir engineer. I couldn't begin to estimate the number of times Eir engineers have been to our house for this same problem. We have been with Eir for around 3 months. I moved to Eir because Sky seemed incompetent at fixing our issue. So my thought was that Eir owns the line and it is always an Eir engineer that comes to us so we would have a better chance of getting it sorted with Eir. It may even be a problem on Skys side, so moving to Eir would fix it if that is the case. I was wrong, very wrong.
    Some of the things that have been changed is -
    The socket/splitter - 3 times
    Modem - 4 (between Sky and Eir)

I have now resorted to the customer complaints department. This is not going well. I submitted 1st complaint on 23/8, the reply I got said someone would come back to me in 2 days. 8 days later I got a reply, which was frankly baffling. The reply said the splitter/socket had been replaced again and thismhad fixed problem. The splitter/socket had NOT been changed again and the problem was NOT fixed. How customer complaints department could come back with such a reply, I have no idea. I replied to this email with another complaint explaining this is not the case. Again reply said 2 days for them to get back. That was 1/9 today is 6/9.
    I intend to now persue this with COMREG in the hope that they can inspire you to actually do something.
    I replied to the text message I recieved from yourselves informing you that fault is not fixed. Your reply said someone will be in touch in 24 hours, that was 3 days ago.
    What is going on Eir? Is this any way to run a business? I'm not asking much, I just want a stable connection. I don't expect it to be perfect, I'm an engineer myself and I know things sometimes go wrong. But 18 months of same problem and still not fixed. I know the full 18 months I wasn't with Eir, but it was Eir engineers that were being sent out. I've heard all kinds of excuses, the plug sockets that the modem is plugged in to was one. When i was with Sky I had home plugs to connect my pc to modem and was told this may be causing it. Then when Eir came out and installed modem/tv box you used your own home plugs!!??
    We also cannot watch Eir tv as it constantly freezes and reboots every 10-15 minutes. I rang technical support and they said it is because of the internet connection dropping. I knew he would say this but thought I'd give it a try anyway. I don't know if this is true or not, but we watch a lot of Netflix/Nowtv/Prime and it doesn't happen to any of them.
    Can you please look into this as it has gone on for far too long and we are sick of it now.
    Thanks
    Hi murphthesmurf,

Sorry to hear of your ongoing issues with your broadband service. Can you PM me your account number and your full name so I can take a look into this for you please?

- Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

eir: Adam wrote: »
    Hi murphthesmurf,

Sorry to hear of your ongoing issues with your broadband service. Can you PM me your account number and your full name so I can take a look into this for you please?

- Adam

I've pm'd you my account number and my mobile number. My partner had been talking to 'technical support' again and demanded to speak to a manager or complaints department. She wastold they cannot put her through and they have to run a test kn the line....again. he said he would ring back in half an hour. He rang back Following day leaving a voice mail informing us he had changed some settings on modem as this seemed to be causing it. I don't know if it was his 1st day on the job, but if he had looked through the history of problem he would have seen its a new modem. I don't know what he changed but he sucdeeded in making things worse. We are now having problems conntecting anything wirelessly which was previously connected wirelessly without issue. Each time we ring someone comes up with a new easy fix idea and usually makes things worse.

eir: Adam wrote: »
    Hi murphthesmurf,

- Adam

I've pm'd you my account number and my mobile number. My partner had been talking to 'technical support' again and demanded to speak to a manager or complaints department. She wastold they cannot put her through and they have to run a test kn the line....again. he said he would ring back in half an hour. He rang back Following day leaving a voice mail informing us he had changed some settings on modem as this seemed to be causing it. I don't know if it was his 1st day on the job, but if he had looked through the history of problem he would have seen its a new modem. I don't know what he changed but he sucdeeded in making things worse. We are now having problems conntecting anything wirelessly which was previously connected wirelessly without issue. Each time we ring someone comes up with a new easy fix idea and usually makes things worse.
    I am looking into this for you and I will be back in touch when I have more information for you. I completely understand your frustration here and I do apologise for the inconvenience caused by this issue.

- Adam

Any update on this? It's been 5 days.
    Your complaints department never bothered their arse to get back to me, 1st Sept I emailed them and today is 12th !! Automated reply said 2 days.

Apologies for the delays in coming back to you.

I have spoken with our support team and they have advised they have adjusted the wifi settings and raised the speed profile for you.
    Can you monitor this over the next 24 hours and let us know how you get on.

In relation to the complaint, the time frame on this is up to 20 working days I'm afraid.

Apologies for all inconvenience caused.

Thanks

Adam

• Advertisement

Well we lost connection over the weekend/late last week a few times. When did he do this?
    I'm a bit confused as to why he would alter the wifi profile? This will surely make no difference at all. It is not wifi connection that we lose, where did he get that idea from? The modem loses connection to the internet, so anything connected to it whether it be wired or wireless loses internet also. Since we had the Eir tv/internet I have watched about 2 hours of the tv as it freezes and reboots too often. I wanted to watch a race on BT Sport on Sunday, I turned on the box and within the 1st minute the screen went black, about a minute or 2 later it rebooted. Ten mins later it did the same thing again. I gave up and turned it off. . I rang technical about it before and they said it is because the internet keeps going down. He could see 23 drops in 24 hours he said. This is connected to the Eir box by your home plugs so nothing to do with wifi.
    Also you say he raised the speed profile, how is turning the speed up and down going to fix anything? The engineer who came out turned it down to 12, said try it a few days. Then technical turned it up to 50 and said try that. Now this guy has turned it up some more. Everyone else wants to turn it down to improve it, this guy wants to try turning it up? I'm confused.
    20 days for a reply is a joke, the automated reply says 2 days. How does 2 days turn into 20? How many complaints are you getting that it takes ten times longer than expected.

Well we lost connection over the weekend/late last week a few times. When did he do this?
    I'm a bit confused as to why he would alter the wifi profile? This will surely make no difference at all. It is not wifi connection that we lose, where did he get that idea from? The modem loses connection to the internet, so anything connected to it whether it be wired or wireless loses internet also. Since we had the Eir tv/internet I have watched about 2 hours of the tv as it freezes and reboots too often. I wanted to watch a race on BT Sport on Sunday, I turned on the box and within the 1st minute the screen went black, about a minute or 2 later it rebooted. Ten mins later it did the same thing again. I gave up and turned it off. . I rang technical about it before and they said it is because the internet keeps going down. He could see 23 drops in 24 hours he said. This is connected to the Eir box by your home plugs so nothing to do with wifi.
    Also you say he raised the speed profile, how is turning the speed up and down going to fix anything? The engineer who came out turned it down to 12, said try it a few days. Then technical turned it up to 50 and said try that. Now this guy has turned it up some more. Everyone else wants to turn it down to improve it, this guy wants to try turning it up? I'm  confused.
    20 days for a reply is a joke, the automated reply says 2 days. How does 2 days turn into 20? How many complaints are you getting that it takes ten times longer than expected.
    I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to advise further on this. I can only relay the feedback on from the support team.

The agent advised this was done over the weekend and has also advised the modem has had a stable connection since it was replaced and that it only seems to be wifi issues that are arising now. 

In order for further troubleshooting to be carried out you would need to contact the support team directly on 1890 260 260, we are unable to do so from here I'm afraid. They will need to assess the situation and with the issues still arising they may need to send a technician out to you. 

I understand your frustration with the timeframe for the complaint, however, this is the standard leadtime. The 2 day leadtime is in place to acknowledge your complaint and unfortunately, this is out of my control. 

I'm sorry it's not better news. 

Thanks 

Adam 

Is there no way we can get to someone higher? Everytime we ring technical they treat it as a new problem , do the usual line check etc. The modem was not the problem, as I said we have had 4 since the problem started. The odds of the all being faulty would be about the same as me winning the lotto this Friday. When we have spoken to technical before and they have altered speed they have said that they can see a problem with the upload speed. If it is wifi why is the wired Eirtv constantly crashing? I've been told by technical that it is crashing beacuse we keep losing connection. Everytime we ring we are back to square one. Your support is set up for simple things like 'turn it off and on again', but any real problem nobody seems to know what to do. We have asked to speak to someone higher up but technical say they can't because its a new problem. Each time connection goes and comes back it is treated as a new problem regardless of how many times we ring. Nobody seems able/willing to do anything but shrug their shoulders. Surely this isn't the best Eir can do?

Is there no way we can get to someone higher? Everytime we ring technical they treat it as a new problem , do the usual line check etc. The modem was not the problem, as I said we have had 4 since the problem started. The odds of the all being faulty would be about the same as me winning the lotto this Friday. When we have spoken to technical before and they have altered speed they have said that they can see a problem with the upload speed. If it is wifi why is the wired Eirtv constantly crashing? I've been told by technical that it is crashing beacuse we keep losing connection. Everytime we ring we are back to square one. Your support is set up for simple things like 'turn it off and on again', but any real problem nobody seems to know what to do. We have asked to speak to someone higher up but technical say they can't because its a new problem. Each time connection goes and comes back it is treated as a new problem regardless of how many times we ring. Nobody seems able/willing to do anything but shrug their shoulders. Surely this isn't the best Eir can do?
    I'm afraid not, you would need to get back in touch with our technical support department. There is a record on your account of the issues you've been experiencing since you've been a customer with so the technical support agent would be able to check on this for you. 

I do apologise that we can't assist you further with this form here.

- Adam

Advertisement