Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starbucks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

This is not a Starbucks/Costa/Cafe Nero bashing thread. They do provide employment and fill empty shop units.

Any thoughts?

Well you're mostly preaching to the converted here as we like coffee not confectionary and couches.

I don't accept the providing employment argument, the worst employers in the world do that, slavery and heroin distribution do that! It's not enough.
    As for filling empty shop units? If they're viable they will be filled anyway. I've seen (and continue to see) Starbucks that are clearly not viable but continue to trade in the hope of pushing independant shops out so that the viable Starbucks up the road will pick up the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Well you're mostly preaching to the converted here as we like coffee not confectionary and couches.

I don't accept the providing employment argument, the worst employers in the world do that, slavery and heroin distribution do that! It's not enough.
    As for filling empty shop units? If they're viable they will be filled anyway. I've seen (and continue to see) Starbucks that are clearly not viable but continue to trade in the hope of pushing independant shops out so that the viable Starbucks up the road will pick up the business.

I was really pleasantly surprised at the amount of independent stores I saw around Ireland in particular in Cork. A lot of small little restaurants and shops. Great to see.

Funnily enough, I think Cork has go better on the last 10 years since the rescission. I left in 2010.

I just pray to God we do not end up like some soulless grey dreary UK city with streets and streets of the same chain stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Costa is OK. Only barely OK but I find their coffee tastes like coffee. Starbucks on the other hand I think is awful. Horrid coffee. If you don't order a couple of extra shots you're drinking warm milk. Just my opinion of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

And here is the counter argument from a Starbucks apologist:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/dublin-starbucks-coffee-protest-ran-to-a-script-worthy-of-south-park-1.3213172?mode=amp

I'm no left leaning protestor but that article is complete nonsense.

Ardent wrote: »

I'm no left leaning protestor but that article is complete nonsense.

You're absolutely right. Full of broad sweeping and incorrect statements. Starbucks policy is to squeeze out smaller coffee shops. They are not part of a rising coffee culture, they are part of the worst type of homogenised cafe and there's nothing admirable about it. Then a "journalist's" argument is based entirely on a South Park episode you can assume it's (a) not very well researched and (b) downright lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

No mention about the complete disregard Starbucks have for a thing called planning permission which is something the Irish Times is usually all over....!

http://www.thejournal.ie/starbucks-planning-2977197-Sep2016/

No mention about the complete disregard Starbucks have for a thing called planning permission which is something the Irish Times is usually all over....!

http://www.thejournal.ie/starbucks-planning-2977197-Sep2016/

Paying corporation tax isn't popular with them either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

My sisters neighbour in San Diego opened a coffee shop next to a Starbucks. People said they were crazy but the coffee shop has taken off. It's been successful because their coffee is miles better and they focus on the local community https://www.birdrockcoffee.com/pages/lajolla .

These global corporate coffee shops serve terrible coffee and have no soul. I see only opportunity for the little guy's.

Advertisement