Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salary Negotiation

• 06-09-2017 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm currently employed in a professional job for a number of years in which I earn a very good wage. However I am always looking to enhance my skillset in different areas and applied and was recently offered a job by a different employer which I think would be interesting,would add to my experience and would be a challenge. I was asked regards salary expectations at the time of interview and stated I would require something similar to what I already earn.

The stated salary on the offer was approx 20% lower than I am already on (it wasn't disclosed prior to interview) however the new position is outside of Dublin so the living cost would be less. However I am not prepared to take a 20% cut in my wage. I also researched the job market and the salary that is being offered is on the low side for the region and there is a skills shortage in the discipline I work in. There has been a bit of dialogue back and forth between the new employer and I and I'm waiting on if/what the potential new employer is willing to increase their offer to. I would imagine that the decision to increase the budget may have to go higher up the chain so to speak.

How long should I wait to send a follow up email in the event it takes longer than 6 -7 working days to receive an answer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭skallywag

Did they give you no indication as to the timeline for getting back to you?

Also, did you make it clear to them during the subsequent discussions as to what your expectation re salary now is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

How long should I wait to send a follow up email in the event it takes longer than 6 -7 working days to receive an answer?

If things have gone quiet on their side, they may be reviewing their options also. Not that what you're doing is wrong, just bear in mind there are two sides to this.

I'm assuming you've not handed in your notice yet.

Advertisement