Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ex moved with kids - won't meet halfway

• 06-09-2017 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey folks,
    I was googling a lot to find an answer to my question but couldn't find anything. My ex suddenly moved with kids to another town (60km away). I have kids every weekend so this is a significant change in terms of commute and access to the kids. Until now they were living with her only 7km away from my house.

I offered to meet halfway or to share the cost of petrol or to exchange collection/dropping off kids (let's say I pick them up Friday, she collects them Sunday etc). Unfortunately, she refused on all above claiming it's my sole responsibility to cover extra cost and do the drive of around 240km every weekend.

I'm wondering if there is any legal requirement for her to meet me halfway or such regulation doesn't exist?

Sorry if this question has been asked before but I couldn't find any thread related to it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Are/were ye married? The answer will be different depending on that fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,609 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Well you could try the courts, but it'll take forever, probably cause bad blood and have an uncertain outcome...
    . Try the family mediation service, just to get an agreement sorted.. Any other issues ye have can be brought up..
    Not sure if you're paying maintenance either agreed or court ordered... Doubt you could unilaterally reduce court ordered maintenance...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Adam45

Conspectus wrote: »
    Are/were ye married? The answer will be different depending on that fact.

Yes, we're still married technically (in separation from 3 years).
    Markcheese wrote:
    Try the family mediation service, just to get an agreement sorted.. Any other issues ye have can be brought up..
    Not sure if you're paying maintenance either agreed or court ordered...

Paying agreed maintenance (no court order). I offered her to go through mediation but she's not interested in it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

You'll need to go to court then as Mark said but it'll be long drawn out and in the end it could cost you a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

you will need to weigh this up carefully.

you can't have a legal requirement, because you haven't gone to court for a determination.

if you take her to court, there are all sorts of considerations, from making relations with separated partner worse, court costs, to possible issues like maintenance payments that might end up being changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,609 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Actually, probably your best bet is to (quietly)get legal advice... And try find someone who's not too confrontational... No point in being right.... and miserable.
    . . Chances are your going to have get évery thing sorted before going for divorce anyway...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement