Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duplicate Credit Card Charges

Options
  • 06-09-2017 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Can someone please shed some light on the below? Apparently this is standard practice and I am panicking this is going to affect my credit rating for my mortgage:
    • April 2017 - Billed my Govt Stamp duty on my BOI CC as standard. Paid it that month and cleared balance. 
    • June 2017 - Requested current account (A) to be closed as I had two accounts (A+B). As Account A was  the one associated with my CC, my CC was also automatically closed without any consultation with me. I was fine with this as rarely used the card. there was no outstanding balance on the card
    • July 2017 - Credit Card Account re-appears on my Banking 365 with  a govt stamp duty of 30.00 from 7/7/17. Seemingly this was for my "new card" which I had not requested as account had been closed. 
    • Aug 2017 - Also contacted by BOI to say they were charging me late fees on my unpaid €30.00 card closure from original card. I never asked for account to be closed - this was something you did without my agreement. 
    • Sept 2017 - Still unresolved. I possess NO CREDIT CARDS with BOI but yet I am being billed for two cards - one for a 30.00 new stamp duty and one for 62.50 for a closure fee + interest. I have spoken to two representatives weeks apart who have both promised to look into it, agreed it is ridiculous and that they will get the fees waived but to no avail. 
    [*]

Can you please resolve??? You do not have any documentation from me requesting 
    • Old Credit Card to be Closed.... so closure fee should not have been billed
    • New Credit Card to be Opened.... so no new govt duty to occur (i paid my std duty in April)
    [*]

I will have to refer this to the Financial Ombudsman if it is not resolved as I am in the middle of applying for mortgage. 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

You were billed Government Duty for a credit card in April. Once the account is to be closed, they are forced by the government to bill the customer for the following year's Government Dutyl in advance of closure e g first €30 is for 2017. Second €30 is for 2018. The government rules are to blame 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Ally Dick wrote: »
    You were billed Government Duty for a credit card in April. Once the account is to be closed, they are forced by the government to bill the customer for the following year's Government Dutyl in advance of closure e g first €30 is for 2017. Second €30 is for 2018. The government rules are to blame 

If the card hasn't been used since the start of the new stamp Duty year and the account is closing there is no liability so bank should refund this.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

368100 wrote: »
    If the card hasn't been used since the start of the new stamp Duty year and the account is closing there is no liability so bank should refund this.

If it was open it was available for use...

If it was open it was available for use...

Reopened per the OP, and to be closed again in same year

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/duties_and_vat/stamp_duty_on_financial_cards.html

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭TrixIrl

Where my main issues are is that I am being charged €30+interest for closing my account when I never asked for it to be closed... and €30 duty on a new card that I never asked to be opened and have never even seen. 

If they had left my credit card account alone I would not have incurred either charge and I find it incredible that they can act on any of this without my instruction. 

From a customer service point of view, being told by two different reps that the charges would be wiped and the issue resolved (as they both recognized the fault) but then getting further phone calls about my "debt" is very frustrating!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

TrixIrl wrote: »
    Where my main issues are is that I am being charged €30+interest for closing my account when I never asked for it to be closed... and €30 duty on a new card that I never asked to be opened and have never even seen. 

If they had left my credit card account alone I would not have incurred either charge and I find it incredible that they can act on any of this without my instruction. 

From a customer service point of view, being told by two different reps that the charges would be wiped and the issue resolved (as they both recognized the fault) but then getting further phone calls about my "debt" is very frustrating!!
    I agree with you. The only part you have wrong is that the duty was for a new card. Did you have an existing card on this account? You are liable for government duty if you have a card on 1st April. If you close the account after this date, you are liable for government duty for April 2018 prior to closure! This is the government's rules. They will collect this duty from the bank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jane

Can someone please shed some light on the below? Apparently this is standard practice and I am panicking this is going to affect my credit rating for my mortgage:
    • April 2017 - Billed my Govt Stamp duty on my BOI CC as standard. Paid it that month and cleared balance. 
    • June 2017 - Requested current account (A) to be closed as I had two accounts (A+B). As Account A was  the one associated with my CC, my CC was also automatically closed without any consultation with me. I was fine with this as rarely used the card. there was no outstanding balance on the card
    • July 2017 - Credit Card Account re-appears on my Banking 365 with  a govt stamp duty of 30.00 from 7/7/17. Seemingly this was for my "new card" which I had not requested as account had been closed. 
    • Aug 2017 - Also contacted by BOI to say they were charging me late fees on my unpaid €30.00 card closure from original card. I never asked for account to be closed - this was something you did without my agreement. 
    • Sept 2017 - Still unresolved. I possess NO CREDIT CARDS with BOI but yet I am being billed for two cards - one for a 30.00 new stamp duty and one for 62.50 for a closure fee + interest. I have spoken to two representatives weeks apart who have both promised to look into it, agreed it is ridiculous and that they will get the fees waived but to no avail. 

[*]

• New Credit Card to be Opened.... so no new govt duty to occur (i paid my std duty in April)

[*]

I will have to refer this to the Financial Ombudsman if it is not resolved as I am in the middle of applying for mortgage. 
    [*]
    Hi TrixIrl,

Welcome to Boards, and thanks for your post.

After reviewing your post, we'd advise that you contact the Credit Card department on 0818 251 251, and raise this as a complaint. We can then investigate this further for you.

Alternatively, if you use Banking 365 Online, and can see your credit card through your profile, you can 'Ask a Question', from the service desk through your 365 Online profile.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Thanks again,
    Jane

[*]

[*]

[*]
    Hi TrixIrl,

After reviewing your post, we'd advise that you contact the Credit Card department on 0818 251 251, and raise this as a complaint. We can then investigate this further for you.

Alternatively, if you use Banking 365 Online, and can see your credit card through your profile, you can 'Ask a Question', from the service desk through your 365 Online profile.

Thanks again,
    Jane
    [*]
    Hi Jane, 

As previously stated I have explained the whole situation to the Credit Card Department twice but to no avail - can you please look into this for me? Thanks. 

Ally Dick wrote: »

I agree with you. The only part you have wrong is that the duty was for a new card. Did you have an existing card on this account? You are liable for government duty if you have a card on 1st April. If you close the account after this date, you are liable for government duty for April 2018 prior to closure! This is the government's rules. They will collect this duty from the bank
    Hi Ally, 

The "old " card was valid and operating on 1st April and I was billed and paid the duty occurring and can see same on the statements. I should (in my mind) not be liable for further duty until 1st April next year but as BOI have taken upon themselves to cancel and subsquently reopen my account they are now looking for a second payment this year... So frustrating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jane

Can someone please shed some light on the below? Apparently this is standard practice and I am panicking this is going to affect my credit rating for my mortgage:
    • June 2017 - Requested current account (A) to be closed as I had two accounts (A+B). As Account A was the one associated with my CC, my CC was also automatically closed without any consultation with me. I was fine with this as rarely used the card. there was no outstanding balance on the card
    • July 2017 - Credit Card Account re-appears on my Banking 365 with a govt stamp duty of 30.00 from 7/7/17. Seemingly this was for my "new card" which I had not requested as account had been closed.
    • Sept 2017 - Still unresolved. I possess NO CREDIT CARDS with BOI but yet I am being billed for two cards - one for a 30.00 new stamp duty and one for 62.50 for a closure fee + interest. I have spoken to two representatives weeks apart who have both promised to look into it, agreed it is ridiculous and that they will get the fees waived but to no avail.
    [*]

Can you please resolve??? You do not have any documentation from me requesting
    [*]

[*]
    Hi TrixIrl,

After reviewing your post, we'd advise that you contact the Credit Card department on 0818 251 251, and raise this as a complaint. We can then investigate this further for you.

Alternatively, if you use Banking 365 Online, and can see your credit card through your profile, you can 'Ask a Question', from the service desk through your 365 Online profile.

Thanks again,
    Jane

[*]
    Hi Jane,

As previously stated I have explained the whole situation to the Credit Card Department twice but to no avail - can you please look into this for me? Thanks.
    [*]
    Hi TrixIrl,

I appreciate you have already been onto the Credit Card department about this, but they'll need to raise this with our complaints department for further investigation.

If you wish to raise this as a complaint yourself, please see here for more on the complaints process. I'm sorry, but we cant look into it here for you.

Thanks,
    Jane.

• Advertisement

I'm afraid that their terms and conditions allow for them to close an account without a customer instruction, but they need to provide notice to do this. If they didnt send you notice, they're in breach of their own Ts and Cs.

Advertisement