Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing List/ Transfer List/ Hap

Options
  • 06-09-2017 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I was wondering how does HAP work with regards to the housing list. I was told in DCC that when you acquire a HAP tenancy you are then put on the transfer list during your two year tenancy. Does this then mean that you in effect lose your place on the housing list.

For example if I am currently 500 on the housing list for my preferred area, and then I get a HAP tenancy and after the two years a further 100 people have been added to the list, does this mean that I am now 600 or would I go up the list with regard to people coming off it so if 50 people were housed I'm now 450 on the list?

I find the situation very confusing and am unsure if it is in my interest to go on HAP or stay on the housing list.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Your currently looking at least a 12+ year wait for social housing ,
    So Hap might be worth looking into for the foreseeable future

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JD_PN17

Gatling wrote: »
    Your currently looking at least a 12+ year wait for social housing ,
    So Hap might be worth looking into for the foreseeable future

I am a single individual so would only need a 1 bed flat/apartment. Would my chances not be increased as I'm not too fussy as to where I live. Whereas the majority on the list imo would be fussy as to where they're housed due to having strong family ties and children in school.

Besides isn't council housing building on the rise now in Ireland, thus leading people to be housed quicker.

JD_PN17 wrote: »
    I am a single individual so would only need a 1 bed flat/apartment. Would my chances not be increased as I'm not too fussy as to where I live. Whereas the majority on the list imo would be fussy as to where they're housed due to having strong family ties and children in school.

Besides isn't council housing building on the rise now in Ireland, thus leading people to be housed quicker.

No it doesn't work like there families and vaunerable and elderly people get priority you been single would be passed over by people with more needs ,
    One beds don't come up very often from what I seen with current lists at 120,000 families on the housing list and less than 2000 properties out of 18,000 promised by government this year dont expect much higher. Numbers than that for the next few years at least

Oh I see, I was living in the hope that being single I would be offered a place rather quickly (within 2 years or so) due to me not being fussed as to where I lived and that I'm only looking for a one bed. Also would that be the housing list for DCC? As in is there 120,000 people on DCC housing list or would that be for the country as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I wouldn't be holding my breath on a single person getting housed any time soon.

• Advertisement

What are the figures for DCC housing list at the moment though? I'm currently in band 2, only applied in August 2017 and I'm number 495 on the list.

What are the figures for DCC housing list at the moment though? I'm currently in band 2, only applied in August 2017 and I'm number 495 on the list.

About 45,000 currently on Dcc waiting list could be higher ,
    We've a few posters currently waiting 10 years + on Dcc housing

Gatling wrote: »
    About 45,000 currently on Dcc waiting list could be higher ,
    We've a few posters currently waiting 10 years + on Dcc housing

Wow! Didn't realise there was that many on the list, my chances seem slim then. I range from 495 to 970 in my respective areas of choice. I'm also in Band 2, do these figures seem at all promising or would I still be looking at a lengthy wait (ie. 10+ years)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Wow! Didn't realise there was that many on the list, my chances seem slim then. I range from 495 to 970 in my respective areas of choice. I'm also in Band 2, do these figures seem at all promising or would I still be looking at a lengthy wait (ie. 10+ years)

Yep. Heard Lorcan Sirr this morning state that the 60% of the entire housing list are in the 4 Dublin authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bellz_x

JD_PN17 wrote:

I applied in July and I'm band 3 number 795, so you're ahead of me.
    If your circumstances change at all, you need to let dcc know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

I'm sorry to say you're looking at a good few years of a wait. Social housing provision is set to increase but there's a massive massive waiting list to get through. If you just applied last month then you're looking at a wait of many years. Take what you can get with HAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

I'm not being a smartass here, but if you're not fussy about where you live, then there would be plenty of Social Housing options in other more remote counties. Donegal, Leitrim, areas of Galway & Mayo. In addition, and not assuming anything about your age, there are also plenty of independent living schemes being ran by housing associations for the over 55's which are undersubscribed throughout the country.

TooObvious wrote: »
    I'm not being a smartass here, but if you're not fussy about where you live, then there would be plenty of Social Housing options in other more remote counties. Donegal, Leitrim, areas of Galway & Mayo. In addition, and not assuming anything about your age, there are also plenty of independent living schemes being ran by housing associations for the over 55's which are undersubscribed throughout the country.

Point taken, I'd move down the country only for the fact I can't drive. I should've been more precise about where I'm not fussy living. For the time being (next 10 months or so) it'll have to be Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rebeka p

What are the figures for DCC housing list at the moment though? I'm currently in band 2, bedsize 3 applied in Jun 2008 and I'm number 95on the list.

Advertisement