Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurt myself in work question....

Options
  • 06-09-2017 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭

Basically I hurt myself in work and I've injured myself. I'm in pain at the moment but the company Doctor is sending me back to work on light duties, that's fine except I'm still feeling pain despite painkillers. Can I go to my own Doctor and see what they think and more than likely get a cert for work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gallifreya

Absolutely you can – and in my view should, go to your own GP. Your own Doctor will serve your interests primarily and has your full medical and health history to hand when deciding treatment.

Plus, this is a workplace injury and you might like to have your own GP’s records of the matter on file - just in case you ever need it in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Boooourns wrote: »
    I'm still feeling pain despite painkillers.
    Painkillers aren't necessarily designed to remove all pain. However, if it is problematic pain or there are other side effects, do see a doctor.

Do not over-exert yourself while on painkillers, as you can injure yourself more easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

You might need to be careful.

In some places if the company doctor says that you are fit to work then you are fit to work. Your own doctors note might not be relevant.

You could find that you end up being AWOL even with a note from your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gallifreya

Is the Company Doctor even aware that the OP is still in pain? In any event I advise visiting your own GP for an opinion.

IMO, a Company Doctor’s view cannot be considered to be automatically superior to the employee’s own GP. For instance, the Company Doctor is usually not aware of any prior or existing health issues which could be in play and potentially affect/delay recovery. The GP may even hold the same opinion as the Company Doctor. Just say however, the GP disagrees and gives the OP a week off work in conflict with the Company Doctor’s decision, then that’s exactly all it is – a conflict of professional opinion. It would not mean that anyone is AWOL as most policies state a GP’s cert is required (which will be provided).

A third neutral medical opinion can be agreed by both the employer and the employee to settle the matter if it comes to that but by the looks of things it shouldn’t. This might easily be sorted by an increase in pain meds, a rest period or otherwise. If I was the employer, I’d have no problem with that if it meant the employee would be back to full fitness soon rather than relapsing later on. If I was the employee I’d certainly be happier not working in pain and knowing that my GP had a record of the matter if it was ever needed.

Advertisement