Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you consider these school shoes?

• 06-09-2017 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

A lady rang up liveline saying her son got sent home from school for wearing these to school. He didn't want to wear black shoes because they were to old fashioned for him. The school policy stated he was meant to wear black leather shoes.
    In my opinion these are runners and not shoes.

DI4Bf_qWAAAQwFJ.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Er, they are not shoes, so no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

They're slippers in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Cheap looking runners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Look like cheap penneys plimsoles/slip on runners, definitely not appropriate school shoes

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Happened with my daughter. Was told they needed to be black shoes. Got sent home and told they are not allowed. Told the school to go and sh1te.

She was also sent home because she was wearing a jacket that wasn't the school jacket. You're only allowed to wear the school jacket in her school. Costs €120. They were also told to go and sh1te

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Gaelicmam

My daughter is wearing black leather adidas runners to school this year. She was wearing black fabric converse last year.
    It all depends on how strict the school is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Does it really justify sending the kid home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Whatever clown sent a kid home from school for wearing those shoes isn't fit for working in education. Power tripping cretin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Gaelicmam wrote: »
    My daughter is wearing black leather adidas runners to school this year. She was wearing black fabric converse last year.
    It all depends on how strict the school is.

It depends on the schools policy to be honest some want black footwear and others want black shoes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Cloths snobs, they're perfectly presentable, or must everyone be dressed up like some mini clone from some teachers imagination of their own personal army?

• Advertisement

myshirt wrote: »
    Whatever clown sent a kid home from school for wearing those shoes isn't fit for working in education. Power tripping cretin.

It's common from my area.(Has being for the past twenty years or so) If you wear your runners to school you get sent/driven home to get your shoes! It's only really the trouble makers who go against it.
    In my opinion if you uniform consists of a pair of black shoes you wear them unless there's a really good reason.
    I think it's similar to wearing a tracksuit pants that's the same colour as the school trousers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Yes, IMO. It's really not that difficult -

The school policy stated he was meant to wear black leather shoes.

They're runners, a completely different type of footwear to shoes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

it is called a uniform for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Skatedude wrote: »
    Er, they are not shoes, so no.

However, I spent my childhood and teen years wearing school uniforms and the day I left school, I burnt it.
    Even the idea of wearing any uniform again put me off many jobs that i would have otherwise considered back then, And a lot of classmates felt the same.

That said, I had friends from other schools who did not have a uniform, and they often said that wearing one for a job wouldn't bother them, some even liked the idea.

I personally would love to see public school uniforms abolished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

They are black with a leather upper so whoever sent the child home was an officious twat. :)

If he went into a work place that required black shoes he'd be sent home.
    It's a fairly simple request to wear black shoes and not runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

They're trainers them. I wouldn't be bothered myself if I were the head of that school, but they're not 'school shoes' no.

They are black with a leather upper so whoever sent the child home was an officious twat. :)

Are they shoes or runners tough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Skatedude wrote: »

I personally would love to see public school uniforms abolished.

Schools have that option and I know our students and their parents were surveyed on it in the last couple of years and they voted to keep the uniform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Those socks must look hilarious with a school uniform

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

They're black runners. In my school we all had to wear Dubarry style deck shoes. They were so strict about our uniforms. Always had to have the ties on and blazers with the school crest. But sure look those are the rules. If you allow it to slide for one child you'll have trouble on your hands. Much easier to just lay down the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I went into work one day with a stain on my chef top and the chef ( recently made boss) started shouting did I work in Mac Donalds or something. I had to drive an hour back home to get another one and go back to work. Total power trip. On topic, some kids can't afford the shoes but having a uniform usually means adhering to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Shpudnik

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Those socks must look hilarious with a school uniform

They are popular and they are stupid. I cringe when I see people with them in school

• Registered Users Posts: 10 IrishTerrier42

Yes, IMO. It's really not that difficult -

The school policy stated he was meant to wear black leather shoes.

They're runners, a completely different type of footwear to shoes.
    ‘runners’ technically are shoes by definition, so If they wanted  him wearing black oxfords or whatever then they should probably have specified that. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Are they shoes or runners tough?
    According to Sports Direct they are school court trainers in the school shoes section. :)

‘runners’ technically are shoes by definition, so If they wanted  him wearing black oxfords or whatever then they should probably have specified that. 

It's generally in the policy that runners or runner type footwear is band!

I went into work one day with a stain on my chef top and the chef ( recently made boss) started shouting did I work in Mac Donalds or something. I had to drive an hour back home to get another one and go back to work. Total power trip. On topic, some kids can't afford the shoes but having a uniform usually means adhering to it.

I'm sure you meant some parents can't afford the shoes, but even for those parents there's the back to school clothing and footwear allowance of €125 for primary school, and €250 for secondary school -

Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance

Why the parent went on Joe Duffy to announce their annoyance at something that was completely their own responsibility, is quite frankly beyond me tbh. It's not as if they could claim they weren't told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I'm sure you meant some parents can't afford the shoes, but even for those parents there's the back to school clothing and footwear allowance of €125 for primary school, and €250 for secondary school -

Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance

Why the parent went on Joe Duffy to announce their annoyance at something that was completely their own responsibility, is quite frankly beyond me tbh. It's not as if they could claim they weren't told.

You know exactly what I meant. I'm hardly expecting kids to be working.

• Advertisement

By the way anybody talking about financial issues should know the mother was on holidays in Portugal at the time.

The shoes are black like it's not like they are massively distracting
    Can't believe someone was sent home over it

bluewolf wrote: »
    The shoes are black like it's not like they are massively distracting
    Can't believe someone was sent home over it

The problem is tough they weren't shoes they were runners/trainers which weren't allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

antodeco wrote: »
    Happened with my daughter. Was told they needed to be black shoes. Got sent home and told they are not allowed. Told the school to go and sh1te.

She was also sent home because she was wearing a jacket that wasn't the school jacket. You're only allowed to wear the school jacket in her school. Costs €120. They were also told to go and sh1te

And when she is in a job and they ask her to wear a uniform. Do you think that attitude will fly?

Schools enforce this rule over the fact that generic uniforms make it easier for everyone. Jordan and Chantella will not be demanding the latest and most expensive shoes as everyone has them, if they are generic fugly black shoes.

Most schools have a school jacket rule. 99.9% don't have an issue if you remove the jacket going in the door of the school. Likewise Im sure the policy is stop children demanding expensive North Face and Canada Goose jackets off parents.

Ask any teacher about a non-uniform day. It is a ****ing nightmare for most, as the child have petty issues over what their friends are wearing. That is not an issue if everyone is wearing the same thing...

You know exactly what I meant. I'm hardly expecting kids to be working.

I do know exactly what you meant, that's why I said it. I wouldn't blame the child or the school for this situation at all, it's entirely the parents responsibility to adhere to the school policy of the school in which they chose to enrol their child.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

you'd find them in the sportsware/trainers/runners section of a shop. You wouldn't find them in the old fashioned outdated uncomfortable school shoe section of the torture shop.

Technically not shoes, but why the f*ck would a school complain about them.

• Advertisement

Be as 'technical' as you want about it. It's obvious to most people that there's a difference between shoes and runners - one is a walking shoe, the other is a running shoe, two completely different types of footwear for two completely different activities.

And when she is in a job and they ask her to wear a uniform. Do you think that attitude will fly?

Yes. If your job requires you to wear a uniform then you are entitled to either have one provided, or you are entitled to claim it back under flat rate expenses.

"Work clothes" are different to a uniform

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    you'd find them in the sportsware/trainers/runners section of a shop. You wouldn't find them in the old fashioned outdated uncomfortable school shoe section of the torture shop.

Technically not shoes, but why the f*ck would a school complain about them.

Well from my experience it was only the rough lads who used chance getting away with wearing them. When they knew it was against the rules.
    They are plenty of comfy school shoes on the market now. It's not like the past.

Yes. If your job requires you to wear a uniform then you are entitled to either have one provided, or you are entitled to claim it back under flat rate expenses.

"Work clothes" are different to a uniform

You sign a contract at work agreeing to wear a certain uniform and in secondary school you sign a code of conduct along with your parents agreeing the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Black leather school/church shoes. Kickers are a safe bet.
    They can be teamed with some stone washed bootcut jeans when attending the teen disco covered in a full can of Lynx Africa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

Uniform is a basic requirement in most schools and makes life easier and, dare I say, cheaper for all. Would your child wear the same non uniform clothes day in, day out, for a school year? How many outfits would you have to buy and have a fight over in the morning.
    Also, being strict on uniform and appearance is a building block for discipline. Parents are given ample time to source the requirements and they do sign a form agreeing to abide by the rules. They should encourage the child to take pride in their school and it's uniform.
    Evenings and weekends, holidays all give opportunity to be individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

My son's all boys school has a uniform and a black shoe policy. The majority of kids wear black trainers and very few wear black shoes. The school has been granted deis status so I suppose it's easier to leave the trivial things slide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Cheap black trainers from Pennys or Dunnes?

No no no

I presume your school has a dress code.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 IrishTerrier42

Be as 'technical' as you want about it. It's obvious to most people that there's a difference between shoes and runners - one is a walking shoe, the other is a running shoe, two completely different types of footwear for two completely different activities.
    Well clearly it's not obvious to everybody, otherwise that kid's mother probably would have brought him the proper type of footwear.

Well clearly it's not obvious to everybody, otherwise that kid's mother probably would have brought him the proper type of footwear.

The lad didn't want to wear school shoes because they were to old fashioned for him!

You sign a contract at work agreeing to wear a certain uniform and in secondary school you sign a code of conduct along with your parents agreeing the same.

Eh, no we didn't. Nothing was ever said about having to purchase the school jacket. This is why they were told where to go.

Nowhere in any employment contract I've ever signed does it state specific clothing.

Eh, no we didn't. Nothing was ever said about having to purchase the school jacket. This is why they were told where to go.

Nowhere in any employment contract I've ever signed does it state specific clothing.

I had a different experience to you then.
    We signed a code of conduct in secondary school with various polices along with a uniform one.(Parents also signed it)
    I worked in hotels and I generally had a policy about wear black shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

They are not shoes.

Rubber soled trainers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Does wearing black leather shoes make it easier to learn algebra?

It's not obvious at all. I'm not from Ireland, and have just had this thread educate me that a runner is not a shoe. Will I now be told a cat is not an animal?

• Advertisement
Advertisement