Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you consider these school shoes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

FatherTed wrote: »
    Does wearing black leather shoes make it easier to learn algebra?

It's more to do woth stopping lads wearing scruffy runners around school and to stop footwear becoming fashionable in the school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

FatherTed wrote: »
    Does wearing black leather shoes make it easier to learn algebra?

There are those who would say yes, less distraction from learning if kids aren't trying to outdo each other with trainers. You can apply the same logic to school uniforms or staff working in non customer facing office jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I hope the brothers gave him a cane across his arse for showing up in a pair of plimsolls

IMG_3211.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

antodeco wrote: »
    Eh, no we didn't. Nothing was ever said about having to purchase the school jacket. This is why they were told where to go.

Nowhere in any employment contract I've ever signed does it state specific clothing.
    I had a different experience to you then.
    We signed a code of conduct in secondary school with various polices along with a uniform one.(Parents also signed it)
    I worked in hotels and I generally had a policy about wear black shoes.

I've worked in hospitality for more years than I care to admit, and every single employment I've been in had a dress code, right down to the colour socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 IrishTerrier42

Basil3 wrote: »
    Well clearly it's not obvious to everybody, otherwise that kid's mother probably would have brought him the proper type of footwear.

It's not obvious at all. I'm not from Ireland, and have just had this thread educate me that a runner is not a shoe. Will I now be told a cat is not an animal?
    Exactly. I'm not Irish either. :P 
    They also apparently do the same thing with the word 'shirt' where it only applies to dress shirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

They can have their dress code and be strict if they want to, that's their business.

For me the question is if they really did send the student home, how old the student was, and whether they checked to see if there was any adult at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

By the way anybody talking about financial issues should know the mother was on holidays in Portugal at the time.

And she said she spends more on haircuts for him than on herself

osarusan wrote: »
    They can have their dress code and be strict if they want to, that's their business.

For me the question is if they really did send the student home, how old the student was, and whether they checked to see if there was any adult at home.

He was 16/17 in 5th year. Mammy was on holidays in Portugal.

• Advertisement

He was 16/17 in 5th year. Mammy was on holidays in Portugal.

**** sake, I thought it was an 8 year old.

Jog on, get a pair of shoes, and do as you're told kid.

EDIT: Just looked at the picture again, didn't see the leg hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

I read this evening he was devastated to be sent home. Very different from any kid I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Jaysus. Wearing lonsdale is a crime in itself. If it had have been adidas stan smith black fair enough but lonsdale??

Should have been expelled IMO

I read this evening he was devastated to be sent home. Very different from any kid I know.

Devastated that his ma would kick up a fuss, more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭shovel

And she said that he was "traumatized" by the incident,although..................
    He was suspended the previous year for his hair being too short.

WELL worth a listen on the player.
    Another caller called her "love"..did not go down well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

I think Grabbit & Rhunne will be getting a call when Jorgie gets back from Portugal about Calum's PTSD (post trainer stress disorder). :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

A runner is a type of shoe.

Unless they specifically state a design specification for what kind of footwear is acceptable they can **** off.

Schools are incredibly silly places. If I ever have kids I reckon I'll be constantly arguing with schools over stuff like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

somefeen wrote: »

Unless they specifically state a design specification for what kind of footwear is acceptable they can **** off.

Schools are incredibly silly places. If I ever have kids I reckon I'll be constantly arguing with schools over stuff like this.

Ugh. Please don't be one of those parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭md23040

I think the tables should be turned and like all workers in a Nissan factory etc -all teachers should have to wear some sort of similar drab uniform too.

At my child's primary school the amount of newly qualified female teachers turning up wearing over the top, inappropriate clothing that you'd often see at Wesley on a Friday night, with sky scraper high heels, too much make up, short skirts - trying to outdo each other in the tacky fashion stakes, is a depressing indictment of some of the out of touch millenials that imo are more in need of some uniform policy.

somefeen wrote: »

Nearly every school uniform policy I've seen that is strict about shoes states black shoes only(Runner or runner style footwear not allowed). You can't argue with that when you choose to enroll your kid in the school.

md23040 wrote: »
    I think the tables should be turned and like all workers in a Nissan factory etc -all teachers should have to wear some sort of similar drab uniform too.

At my child's primary school the amount of newly qualified female teachers turning up wearing over the top, inappropriate clothing that you'd often see at Wesley on a Friday night, with sky scraper high heels, too much make up, short skirts - trying to outdo each other in the tacky fashion stakes, is a depressing indictment of some of the out of touch millenials that imo are more in need of some uniform policy.

Write a letter to the BOM and they can deal with how staff members are dressing.(If you feel it's an issue)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

And ehh... where's this school again exactly?

I'm joking (just in case it's not obvious :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

By the way anybody talking about financial issues should know the mother was on holidays in Portugal at the time.

Thanks for that

What did she have for breakfast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

You sign a contract at work agreeing to wear a certain uniform and in secondary school you sign a code of conduct along with your parents agreeing the same.

Which is exactly the point, kids learn to hate the uniform from an early age and then avoid it later in life,

And ehh... where's this school again exactly?

I'm joking (just in case it's not obvious :pac:)

Don't even joke.

You know you're not allowed within 300 yards of a school.

Thanks for that

What did she have for breakfast?

Well the fact that she lets us know this allows us to know that money shouldn't be an issue. I was clearing it up for people.

Skatedude wrote: »
    Which is exactly the point, kids learn to hate the uniform from an early age and then avoid it later in life,

I dunno, one of the girls I went to secondary school with, who was always in trouble about her uniform, went on to join the army.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

anna080 wrote: »
    Ugh. Please don't be one of those parents.

I was a trouble maker in school. I just want to relive the thrill vicariously through my child.

"Don't do your homework son. Who are they to tell you what do? Now, here's your new school 'shoes'. They said no runners but when they give out be a good lad and ask to see the part of their policy that describes their definition of runners. What? You did your homework?!? You..you don't mind the schools policies? You just want to do as your told and get good exam results?!? You go yo your room and don't come out until you've learned some disrespect!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

It might seem a bit Ott but it's the rules, the parents should have known this before enrolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

Some schools need to get over themselves with their uniform policies. I have heard stories of school jackets that are over €100 and aren't waterproof or very warm and kids getting sent home if they dare wear another coat.

Uniforms do not make kids look all the same. It's obvious who is wearing the cheap poorly made skirts, shirts and trousers and whose parents spent a little more. You can see who has the expensive school bags etc. I don't think it would be more expensive to ditch uniforms for me. Lots of kids want to change in evening to play and it stops the uniform getting dirty so it can be worn the next day. Then also consider that kids have a lot of holidays so kids have enough clothes to ditch uniforms.

As for the sizing of the school tracksuit and jumpers in my sons school the less said the better.

Regarding jobs with uniforms. Sure thing if I am getting paid to wear a uniform then fair enough. Still no reason for kids at school to wear such ugly crap.

He and 47 others were sent home. Mother in Portugal still? Suppose she rang Joe Duffy instead of ringing school.

• Advertisement

mohawk wrote: »
    Some schools need to get over themselves with their uniform policies. I have heard stories of school jackets that are over €100 and aren't waterproof or very warm and kids getting sent home if they dare wear another coat.

Uniforms do not make kids look all the same. It's obvious who is wearing the cheap poorly made skirts, shirts and trousers and whose parents spent a little more. You can see who has the expensive school bags etc. I don't think it would be more expensive to ditch uniforms for me. Lots of kids want to change in evening to play and it stops the uniform getting dirty so it can be worn the next day. Then also consider that kids have a lot of holidays so kids have enough clothes to ditch uniforms.

As for the sizing of the school tracksuit and jumpers in my sons school the less said the better.

Regarding jobs with uniforms. Sure thing if I am getting paid to wear a uniform then fair enough. Still no reason for kids at school to wear such ugly crap.

If kids can tell who is wearing cheaper uniforms they sure as hell would be passing comments d there was no uniform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Teachers should have a uniform, it's not a fashion show, they are there to work

They are busy enough without planning their work outfit

Absolutely no reason not to have one

something like :

peARZ0s.jpg

I would love a uniform in my job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Are they shoes or runners tough?

Runners is short for "running shoes"

gctest50 wrote: »
    Teachers should have a uniform, it's not a fashion show, they are there to work

something like :

peARZ0s.jpg

Loads would be delighted no pressure in the staff room or spending ages deciding if the clothes they were choosing was appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I would love a uniform in my job.

Me too! I get angry with myself before I even leave the house because I hate all my clothes. A uniform would be so handy.

Is the pic in the OP the actual shoes, she said she spent €90 on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

Runners is short for "running shoes"

Some of those so called running shoes aren't very suitable for running though.

colm_mcm wrote: »

Not according to website. They are priced a lot less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I wouldn't call them school shoes tbh. Nor would I condone sending a student home because they're not wearing proper shoes. Had common sense prevailed then they'd have been given a week to sort it.

The idea of a uniform for teachers is excellent, I'd only love the practicality of it.

It was either them of these. People wearing these styles of footwear was sent home.

DI4Bf0-W4AAKKcV.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Doubt that!

http://www.lonsdale.com/lonsdale-leyton-leather-mens-trainers-165033?colcode=16503303

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

No, they look more like trainers than shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

My kids' primary school just let them wear any sort of trainers which is good. Not least because they're more comfortable for kids that age.

That story is kind of an equivalence of annoyance though: on one hand, it's pretty petty of the school but on the other, you just think, just get the kid a pair of shoes (for half the price of Adidas trainers) and move the fcuk on from grandstanding about fashions on behalf of your no doubt mortified kid.

Noveight wrote: »
    I wouldn't call them school shoes tbh. Nor would I condone sending a student home because they're not wearing proper shoes. Had common sense prevailed then they'd have been given a week to sort it.

The idea of a uniform for teachers is excellent, I'd only love the practicality of it.

It was in the school uniform policy what they were expected to wear. Schools generally go hard on these issues because the soft approach has failed in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

I hope if he tries to wear them for PE that the teacher says they are not proper runners, but are shoes, and sends him home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yes, IMO. It's really not that difficult -

I could understand the sentiment, but I'd letting the kid stay but with a warning that they will be sent home should they wear them tomorrow (without a good excuse, such as not having time to get new ones)

That said, I'm against uniforms full stop, having lived a country for most of the lasy ten years that that doesn't have them, and seen a more more toelrant and student-friendly school system.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Trotters

Just cant understand why the schools care so much what you put on your feet. You're not educated through your feet.

And his reason for not wearing shoes was no good enough. Not that he needed extra support or he couldn't afford them. He chose not to cos they are too old fashioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

The problem is tough they weren't shoes they were runners/trainers which weren't allowed.

Ye but petty shjte like this shouldn't be allowed. It's not as if theyre bright yellow with flashing lights. Some schools and their pretentious rules picking on small issues like this would rot my hole

• Advertisement
Advertisement