Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you consider these school shoes?

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

You didn't.

You just came across as having a distorted view of the purpose of education. That doesn't make you a twat.

Sorry, I explain how I got this into my head. When I was in secondary school and we signed the code of behavior/uniform policy etc. We were told it was like a contract for work and preparing us for the really world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Sorry, I explain how I got this into my head. When I was in secondary school and we signed the code of behavior/uniform policy etc. We were told it was like a contract for work and preparing us for the really world.

Ah, now that's slightly different: presumably you read the contract and agreed to with when you signed it.

If the purpose of the contract is to prepare you for working life, then the school should have been open to negotiation and debate prior to you signing it. If you had no chance to do this, then it's not a representation of work life.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

It's the usual bs. Blatant flouting of the rules, 'shur it's grand, they're black, we're Irish, we're not hung up on stuff like that'.

This comes from home, the parents are up in arms because the kids can't do what the fuyck they want. Then the kids think they can do what they want. You don't like the rules of the school, find another school and don't assume your lumpen progeny are above the rules.

Many of these dicks are living vicariously, fighting back against their own teachers from a decade or so ago through their kids, it's pathetic.

Seriously annoys me. You don't do anybody any favours by giving them a pass to do what they want. There are many different reasons for rules, and many opinions on same, but they're rules whether you agree with them or not.

I agree. It always amazes me how some grown adults, whose schooldays are far behind them, revert to behaving like sixteen year olds when it comes to dealing with teachers and school rules.

Instead of approaching the school to discuss issues that concern them, they encourage their kids to break the rules and then go whinging to the media like teenagers about 'stupid rules. I'm gonna do what I like' etc. etc.

Seriously, if you want your concerns to be taken seriously, stop acting like overgrown schoolkids who still think breaking a rule or being rude to a school principal is some kind of 'victory' against authority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I haven't made mistakes where I've gotten entire words wrong.

... an therin lies my point. You feel that preparation for life in an environment of rule adherence is important and a school's role is simply to make and enforce rules, as illustarted in your original post.

I disagree. When you see things like mimimum-alcohol pricing, it's a shame that people are trained to obey willingly and not trained in how to stand up and debate issues and make changes.

What if students got sent home for making mistakes as well as non-compliance with uniform policy? Would this be acceptable?

But that's the thing, he (or rather Mammy) didn't try to debate the issue. They knew the shoes, he's been at the school (I'm guessing) 4 years, they bought the wrong ones, disciplinary action was taken, she went to Joe Duffy.

Write to the school, speak with the faculty and parents organisations, actually make fight to make the place better, rather than ****ing lie and whinge to get attention.
    meeeeh wrote: »
    You had to work with some seriously dumb people if they needed 13 years of wearing school uniforms to understand why is sometimes required to wear uniform to get paid.

You'd be surprised. I've had to constantly pull younger staff on basics like shaving, shoes, wearing a pressed shirt, wearing hair in a bun, wearing correct shoes (because believe it or not, it makes a difference in our workplace.)

Each one of them signed a contract, stating the uniform standards, prior to commencing work. Plain as day. Don't like it, argue it before the contract is signed. Sign the contract then you are agreeing to the terms and conditions of employment. If you want to dispute it afterwards, make a proper case, and if the case is sound, changes can be made.

Whinging on Joe Duffy, g'way out of that.

Advertisement