Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social council housing waiting time frame???

Options
  • 06-09-2017 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi

We recently put our name down for council housing. I am married with one child, a 2 year old, and one on the way early next year.

My husband is a caretaker and we live in a small bungalow on his bosses property for free as part of his job, however next year we've to move out as his boss is retiring and selling his land.

We live here for free currently, with me not working to be at home, and my husband been the only earner, we cannot afford to rent anywhere. Or even if I worked after baby 2 arrives l will be paying only for childcare so financially best I stay home for the time been.

Would anyone know what the average waiting list would be for a council house around Kildare town and the surrounding area's?
    How is it decided how far you are on the list?
    Can we keep track of our place on the list?

Any info would be great. Thanks a mil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

10 years plus

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Michellebs

Wow 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Michellebs wrote: »
    Wow ��

Go in and talk to them, That's the only way you will know.

All depends on everyone's circumstances.

We left all the documents in today to Kildare County Council and it was short and sweet, the clerk just made sure everything was there. He said we will hear back in 6 to 8 weeks. Sure I will wait until then and take it from there I suppose.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Have you applied for rent allowance ?
    The lists are crazy but ring in a few weeks and they will tell you where you are on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Michellebs wrote: »
    We left all the documents in today to Kildare County Council and it was short and sweet, the clerk just made sure everything was there. He said we will hear back in 6 to 8 weeks. Sure I will wait until then and take it from there I suppose.

Keep at them its the only way. Make sure to get your reference number

The next year will be here in a flash so don't delay

All the best and hope all works out

Thank you everyone for your advice. I will keep at them and hope for the best. 😊

We haven't looked into rent allowance or HAP just yet as we are fine for the moment, but definitely I will see what support we can get over the coming months.

I ticked to accept voluntary agencies box on my application form, therefore agencies such as Response.ie just to keep all my options open. to

I will keep checking in with them over the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Very high demand for housing in this part of the country.

Just announced to today is the option will be open to those on housing lists to relocate to areas with less demand.

What does the council do in the case that we've to be out of this house in a year and we have no support in Kildare, no family here. Would they provide emergency accommodation or any other option?

Advertisement