Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WSE

Options
  • 06-09-2017 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

we got the letter- d day/week is in three weeks.

Any advice/ tips?

In terms of the classroom- we had a retirement this last week and i inherited the room. do they look for work done by the kids to be on the wall? I havent gotten around to clearing it out yet.

I assume that they look for posters and that so any one have any good websites to get resources?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

I really hope you're a secondary teacher if you're asking these questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

I really hope you're a secondary teacher if you're asking these questions?

yeah sorry, I'm secondary!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭mockingjay

Best of luck with the inspection. Recently had a subject inspection and it is nice to have students work displayed on the walls, you will have time to do this. Here are a few sites for posters:

4schools.ie
    www.sgeducation.ie
    www.ashmorelearningsolutions.com

Don't forget Pinterest and it's also easy to laminate your own.

mockingjay wrote: »
    Best of luck with the inspection. Recently had a subject inspection and it is nice to have students work displayed on the walls, you will have time to do this. Here are a few sites for posters:

4schools.ie
    www.sgeducation.ie
    www.ashmorelearningsolutions.com

Don't forget Pinterest and it's also easy to laminate your own.

thanks a mill- I've about 30 years of junk to get rid of! spotted an old acetate projector today- hopefully it'll be ready in time!

I've my subject plans and paperwork all in order, just the classroom I'm worried about.

Acetate Projector? Wow that's an old school. Do you mind me asking what your subjects are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Pinkycharm wrote: »
    yeah sorry, I'm secondary!

I'm no help so!! But from what I know from my own experiences inspectors currently LOVE paperwork!

Acetate Projector? Wow that's an old school. Do you mind me asking what your subjects are?

yeah i know, to be honest i didnt actually know what it was until one of the other teachers told me. :( intercert exam papers as well in folders :D he was great for never throwing anything out.

Geography and irish but I'm all geography this year so going to try make it into a proper geography room if i can.

I'm no help so!! But from what I know from my own experiences inspectors currently LOVE paperwork!

thank god I'm sorted in that sense so!!!! :D

Pinkycharm wrote: »

Geography and irish but I'm all geography this year so going to try make it into a proper geography room if i can.

A lovely big colourful globe on the desk, along with a map of the world on the wall (which can be bought in HMV Dundrum), print off and acetate a few colourful flags from countries to make a start to decorating the room, the students will help you with these. However, these are superficial - don't forget to include AFL, differentiation, numeracy and literacy columns in your plans - this is what we were asked about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Have a look at other schools geography inspection reports on the DES site. Give you an idea about what they look for. Teachitgeography has a good few geography literacy resources that might be useful.

• Advertisement

A lovely big colourful globe on the desk, along with a map of the world on the wall (which can be bought in HMV Dundrum), print off and acetate a few colourful flags from countries to make a start to decorating the room, the students will help you with these. However, these are superficial - don't forget to include AFL, differentiation, numeracy and literacy columns in your plans - this is what we were asked about.

Thanks so much, i really appreciate it!

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Have a look at other schools geography inspection reports on the DES site. Give you an idea about what they look for. Teachitgeography has a good few geography literacy resources that might be useful.

Thanks so much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Good luck pinky charm. You sound otherwise very prepared :) don't forget to get the first /second years/TY to work on decorating it when you have time . They love doing it and sometimes they may even learn something from it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭doc_17

The learning that takes place in your class and How you assess that learning in your class is key these days. Posters are nice and fine and all that but don't lose sight of the main objective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

These things are a storm in a teacup ! Bland , vague reporting of subject departments - and management generally given an easy ride to the point of doublespeak .A LOT of stress you will feel stupid about the week after .Do the minimum paperwork to get by and teach 'to the test ' on the day .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Had a WSE last year. I definitely wouldn't get too stressed about decorating the room.
    Have your subject plan done and concentrate on what you're going to be teaching the 2/3 days they'll be inspecting. They'll be concentrating on observing the teaching and learning in your classroom mainly. Lots of emphasis on AfL, peer assessment and learning, placemat activities and other IL bits. They also love learning outcomes at the beginning of the lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

doc_17 wrote: »
    The learning that takes place in your class and How you assess that learning in your class is key these days. Posters are nice and fine and all that but don't lose sight of the main objective.

I think posters are a total waste of energy. They do create a certain climate in the room but this can also be created by simply being a good teacher. Any inspector who advises a teacher to have posters should have to reference an academic article which supports their value.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 celbridge74

One of our recommendations was about posters etc even though they were everywhere they weren't up to the high standard required by the inspectors. Obviously the teaching was good enough so they had to pick on something.
    Mardy Bum wrote: »
    I think posters are a total waste of energy. They do create a certain climate in the room but this can also be created by simply being a good teacher. Any inspector who advises a teacher to have posters should have to reference an academic article which supports their value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

One of our recommendations was about posters etc even though they were everywhere they weren't up to the high standard required by the inspectors. Obviously the teaching was good enough so they had to pick on something.

This is why people ridicule inspectors. Breathtaking idiocy.

Advertisement