Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manager suggested I find a new job

Options
  • 06-09-2017 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking for views on the weirdest situation I've found myself in yet. I had a conversation around workload and a project I'm on with my manager and the manager of the project today. This then turned into an intervention type meeting where they were both offering me the services of our EAP. I felt a bit ambushed to be honest, and was a bit upset by the whole thing.
    Then out of the blue in the middle of it all the project manager suggested I just wasn't suited to the company and might be better leaving. To say I was stunned is an understatement. I've been there two years and never had a bad performance review, and have been given a salary increase two months ago.
    Should I be looking, is this a sign I will be getting my p45??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Hard to know without any context or more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

sugarman wrote: »
    As above, but given you're there 2 years they will find it extremely difficult to get rid of you and will have to be VERY careful on how they go about it.

Yes.... As the op is working on a project, if somebody else is doing the day to day work, after 6 months(or longer) they can be let go as the 'role is no longer' required. Will be paid off, but prob not more than statutory I'd guess

OP- has anybody taken over your pre-project duties?

I get the impression the op hasn't worked with this project manager before. Perhaps this manager has a particularly abrasive (and stupid) style of management. Project managers vary in quality and ability, I've often had to stand my ground and refuse to do something stupid or unreasonable a project manager wants. It can take a while for them to realise realistic boundaries.

But there really isn't enough information to advise on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Sounds like your PM has gone off piste OP. I am sure they shouldn't be making remarks like that. You can be sure that's not coming from an official source, they're just being a pr'ck.

Their job is to help manage your workload, not to suggest you leave if you have been given too much work to do. Go to your people manager and complain. Your PM is the one who has the problem doing their job, not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 PickleJar

They could be trying to imply incompetence and farming you out to EAP to prove down the line they did everything the could to improve your performance...or they could have a concern something is getting to you which is affecting your performance and availing of EAP may help. It's really hard to know without a bit more background.

• Advertisement

I think I would be very particular to get clear instructions on what work they want you to do. Then make sure you have a system of them ticking this off when its completed.

Because if some is trying to invent an impression of work not being done. having documentation and stats to prove otherwise, is a good defense. Stops that kinda backstabbing. If that's what going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies and apologies for the lack of clarification. My mind was spinning when I posted originally...

To give some context, I have been doing a particular role for two years. About 4 months ago I was seconded to a project three days a week. There is someone in backfilling some of my role but not all. I'm still working my day job. The project has grown legs and arms and it's now taking up my time full time, and I'm squeezing the remaining bits of my day job into evenings and weekends. Since it's salaried all this is unpaid.

This is what I was raising with my managers. I've worked with the particular project manager before and in hindsight I really think it was coming from a good place, she was trying to tell me that the organisation is the type that will never recognise there is a problem when employees are working extra hours, and resources will never be given. since I'm the type of person who will kill myself to get something over the line and correct she was really just saying I needed to decide to start letting things drop and see what happens or find somewhere that wouldn't force me to do that.

But since then my own manager has put in meeting to discuss my time management. Now, fair enough this could be genuinely to help me out, but I have been worrying about how much she actually wants me on the team since she came in. So I'm really worried that the project manager was trying to head off something very uncomfortable for is all down the line by getting me to make the decision myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Your manager suggesting you should look for a new job is constructive dismissal, plain and simple. I've seen it happen and each time the employee won the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

Senna wrote: »
    Your manager suggesting you should look for a new job is constructive dismissal, plain and simple. I've seen it happen and each time the employee won the case.

No your manager suggesting you look for a new job is not.....your manager telling you to look for a new job could be. I often asked people who couldn't cut the mustard on the team if they felt they were in the right role or were happy in the role.... And I often suggested to people who told me they hated their job to look around the company as there were plenty of other opportunities that may suit them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

screamer wrote: »
    No your manager suggesting you look for a new job is not.....your manager telling you to look for a new job could be. I often asked people who couldn't cut the mustard on the team if they felt they were in the right role or were happy in the role.... And I often suggested to people who told me they hated their job to look around the company as there were plenty of other opportunities that may suit them.....

OK, what has any of that got to do with the OP?

The OP was "suggested" to find a different company to work for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

Senna wrote: »
    OK, what has any of that got to do with the OP?

The OP was "suggested" to find a different company to work for.

As much as telling them that they'd have a constructive dismissal case....when they wouldn't.

Advertisement