Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple Indian Meal Recipes?

Options
  • 06-09-2017 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Can anybody recommend a website or blog that does simple Indian meal recipes ( dinners and starters) and the ingredients for the recipes are also easy to source ?

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Chetna Makan, who was on GBBO a few years ago has a YouTube channel that has some decent Indian recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

"Easy to source" is a bit of a matter of definition - do you mean only ingredients you won't need to go to an Asian shop for? That would mostly leave you with pre-mixed spice pastes, like the ones from Patak. They're pretty good, and if I remember correctly they have accompanying recipes written on their labels. It might be worth checking Tesco for them.
    If you're in Cork (or if Tesco stock these nationwide, I don't know that) there's the spice mixes by Green Saffron. Again, each pack comes with recipe, and they are very good indeed, and easy to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

Shenshen wrote: »
    "Easy to source" is a bit of a matter of definition - do you mean only ingredients you won't need to go to an Asian shop for? That would mostly leave you with pre-mixed spice pastes, like the ones from Patak. They're pretty good, and if I remember correctly they have accompanying recipes written on their labels. It might be worth checking Tesco for them.
    If you're in Cork (or if Tesco stock these nationwide, I don't know that) there's the spice mixes by Green Saffron. Again, each pack comes with recipe, and they are very good indeed, and easy to follow.

I live in Dublin and I am happy enough to source ingredients from Asian shops....

Anybody got any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

whiz wrote: »
    I live in Dublin and I am happy enough to source ingredients from Asian shops....

Anybody got any other suggestions?

Tarka Dhal.

Cheap and easy to make. Tastes unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

I like This Muslim Girl Bakes' blog.

Yes, there's baking, but there's also lots of savoury recipes. Portal here; curries here. I think you'd call it British-Pakistani cooking, so the ingredients are not usually obscure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Made a lamb Bhuna yesterday had it today, twas fair tasty ...very easy to make, followed nadiya British food adventure recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Perhaps try a cookbook like 30 minute curries from Atul Kocchar. He's a Michelin-starred chef and knows his stuff.

Another great legend in the curry world is Madhur Jaffrey - I've had her Ultimate Curry Bible at home for years

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

whiz wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Can anybody recommend a website or blog that does simple Indian meal recipes ( dinners and starters) and the ingredients for the recipes are also easy to source ?

Any advice appreciated

Try some of Madhur Jaffreys books for ideas. I find them very easy on the amount of ingredients needed and are they are damn tasty (Except the Vindaloo in the book below, too much vinegar) Get a book, make a list of spices etc needed, then make a trip to an Asian shop - It will be well worth the visit. Ingredients in Asian shops are very reasonable costwise.

I recommend this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Madhur-Jaffrey-Indian-Cooking/dp/0764156497

You will find it cheaper if you look around. I paid €2 in a charity shop some years back.

Edit
    @Dudara just seen your post about Madhur Jaffrey

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭treenytru

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Tarka Dhal.

Cheap and easy to make. Tastes unreal.

Tried this a few weeks ago on Rick Shaw's recommendation and I have to say it's delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

the thark dhal looks tasty!

• Advertisement
Advertisement