Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injuries!

Options
  • 06-09-2017 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭

I'm sitting here feeling sorry for myself so I thought I should start a thread about injuries. I've found every time you hurt yourself around horses, it immediately starts a discussion in the yard of various falls and hurts everyone else has gotten through the years.

I got kicked today on the knee cap from the side. Completely unexpected from a pony I'd know well. My own fault really, should have known better. It was a bit twingey after but moving so it's not broke, so rode another horse after (getting down wasn't fun because its my left knee). My wrist is sore too from catching myself against the wall. I'm home a few hours now and it hasn't really stopped swelling so you can't actually see my knee cap at the moment. If it's not improved tomorrow evening, I might get it checked.

Other injuries include a scar on my hip for a psycho mare who freaked out and threw me off into the fence after galloping 20 odd laps on the arena. A scar across my rear end because of the same mare who threw me off and dragged me. A wonky finger from trapping it between a horse's head and a door frame. A pokey out rib when I tore a muscle getting off a pony (so exciting, I know). I was also once kicked by a mare when I was putting on her rug. Didn't even realise, I was exhausted at the time. I heard a bang and thought the foals in the stable next door were playing up, but when I took a step forward I realised what it was. Left a bruise from my knee to my hip.

To be honest, I'd consider myself quite lucky. Somehow, they are my only notable injuries so far. The only time I've broke a bone wasn't horse related (I kicked a hoover running past in my bare feet and broke my baby toe, because I'm as graceful as a hippo).

So what are your stories? Any funny ones? Any weird ones that you aren't sure how it even happened? Any serious injuries?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

LOL.. a wonky finger as well, when tying a horse, my finger got caught between the rope and the metal ring as he started pulling back.
    My poor head recently experimented a domino effect: One horse banging his head on the head of another horse who in turn banged my head.... Nothing premeditated there!
    We won't talk about various falls (you are not a horse rider if you have never fallen a few times anyway) and we all have a few broken toes I'm sure.. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Love this, I've too many to count but my top two are a serious one, smashed my pelvis into pieces and had to get my hip pinned and my pelvis plated. I still sometimes get flashbacks to lying on the ground seeing my poor mares neck coming towards my face... both of us were a bit traumatised by that one...

And then a silly one, sitting on a 12.2, holding about 12 schoolies on leadropes, hearing a horsefly, and being unceramoniously dumped off said 12.2 while being dragged in 12 different directions... No major injuries except my pride that day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

isaos wrote: »
    LOL.. a wonky finger as well, when tying a horse, my finger got caught between the rope and the metal ring as he started pulling back.

I've heard of people losing their fingers that way!
    TG1 wrote: »
    Love this, I've too many to count but my top two are a serious one, smashed my pelvis into pieces and had to get my hip pinned and my pelvis plated. I still sometimes get flashbacks to lying on the ground seeing my poor mares neck coming towards my face... both of us were a bit traumatised by that one...

Ouch! Same happened my cousin as a child, fell into the jump wing. By the time she could lift her legs high enough to get into a saddle, she was far too nervous to ride again and hasn't been on a horse since.

Advertisement