Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching our children in schools that the fairies will take care of them, wtf?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

I like his style, I heartily endorse the tooth fairy personally:D.

I wouldn't be so comfortable with school teaching 6 year olds that a fairy is real, could be leaned on for emotional support or is dealing with their problems though. At 6 - 7 I'd expect more from a school in those terms.

Im not bothered too much..Im fairly laid back and I hope it reflects in my boys attitude to these kinda of things.
    I would be more worried about the religious aspect of his school,its typical Irish Catholic school with the church next door.
    Without excluding him from religion that all his pals are in(nativity plays and the like) all i can do is make sure that he never relies on the religion or church to help him live his life correctly.Ya know,just show him that its all in his hands what he wants to do or what he wants to get sorted and that he has a dad who will do everything to help him whenever he needs it(while quietly pushing the fact that praying to God is not going to help).

I dont mind religion if its a comfort but Im extremely against following it because its just simply there.

The fairy stuff,well,he figured that out himself:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

gitzy16v wrote:
    The best came later that week when his tooth fell out ....guess what happened next...."tooth fairy will bring me money wont she?"

gitzy16v wrote:
    Too smart,way too smart.

Does your wee man still believe in Santa? When I was about that age I had my own mind made up about a lot of things but kept the santa belief as long as possible.....just in case :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Im not bothered too much..Im fairly laid back and I hope it reflects in my boys attitude to these kinda of things.
    I would be more worried about the religious aspect of his school,its typical Irish Catholic school with the church next door.
    Without excluding him from religion that all his pals are in(nativity plays and the like) all i can do is make sure that he never relies on the religion or church to help him live his life correctly.Ya know,just show him that its all in his hands what he wants to do or what he wants to get sorted and that he has a dad who will do everything to help him whenever he needs it(while quietly pushing the fact that praying to God is not going to help).

I dont mind religion if its a comfort but Im extremely against following it because its just simply there.

The fairy stuff,well,he figured that out himself:D

Would you not send him to a non religious school. Educate together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

FanadMan wrote: »
    Does your wee man still believe in Santa? When I was about that age I had my own mind made up about a lot of things but kept the santa belief as long as possible.....just in case :D
    I think he caught me out this year with his bike....not a hope of him bringing it up:pac:
    He will know soon enough,Im getting fed up of the fat red suit wearing ghost taking all the credit for my hard work:D
    Kidding,Im not that evil.
    Would you not send him to a non religious school. Educate together?

Nah the school is great otherwise and I reckon Ill guide him enough away from the bs of Christianity and he can take some of the good from it.
    I grew up in the same type of environment,worse actually(parents dragged me to mass every week) and once I hit secondary, church and mass was a distant memory.
    The lad has only been to mass doing a nativity play with all his peers and maybe 1 or 2 times,actually 2 a funeral and confirmation(bored out his mind both times)
    Im confident he wont turn into any kind of religious nut,he trusts his mother and I too much and knows we wont put him wrong,he naturally questions things too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

It's not nearly as benign a tradition I had always thought myself. That picture really stayed with me.

We've imported the pretty Victorian flitterwing fairies since, but the old Irish fairies of traditional stories were not nice. Some could be benevolent, but the underlying lessons in the stories were always that they should be treated with respect and caution. The native British fairy stories were much the same in terms of being cautionary rather than encouraging until the Victorians came along and pretty much upended the tradition, rewriting fairies as children's companions.

It's rather funny that our ancestors who may have held beliefs in fairies would be horrified at the idea of encouraging vulnerable children to confide their worries in the fairies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

So much bad energy coming off the OP.

How can I dissipate that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

In Connemara and rural parts of the west those notions were thought to be so pervasive that fairies might steal your son that parents dressed their young boys in girls dresses to fool the fairies into leaving them alone. There are several pics if you search, this is one.
    https://www.facebook.com/IrishChildhood/photos/a.348415355244388.88396.348410565244867/437772586308664/?type=3

It's not nearly as benign a tradition I had always thought myself. That picture really stayed with me.

Jaysus - the dancing ladyboys of Connemara - what a show! Flatley missed a big trick with that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Who ever invented that fairy stuff, I hope they're making a fortune from it. My nephew is all into it - fairy door on the skirting board, washing line and you can buy different clothes. They even leave you a card when you're on holidays. Genius idea. I wouldn't read too much into it OP. Just someone riding the wave of the latest craze and hopefully making a mint in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

They should just have a TV in each classroom with a Sky News Feed. It's more worry these kids need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Who ever invented that fairy stuff, I hope they're making a fortune from it. My nephew is all into it - fairy door on the skirting board, washing line and you can buy different clothes. They even leave you a card when you're on holidays. Genius idea. I wouldn't read too much into it OP. Just someone riding the wave of the latest craze and hopefully making a mint in the process.

Even better it's an Irish company!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Who ever invented that fairy stuff, I hope they're making a fortune from it.

My daughter has 2, a boy and girl. She left quite a sweet note for them after one of her dogs died explaining where he went to.

And befor the OP before he blows his top, yes, we discussed the imminent death before it happened and how she felt about it before and after, so it's not a replacement for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

ThisRegard wrote: »
    My daughter has 2, a boy and girl. She left quite a sweet note for them after one of her dogs died explaining where he went to.

And for the OP before he blows his top, yes, we discussed the imminent death before it happened and how she felt about it before and after, so it's not a replacement for us.

I would have loved something like that as a child when my dog died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I think the comparison with religion is fairly hopeless.

These fairy worry plaques will leave no imprint on the kids and are just something that kids will grow out of without any issue whatsoever, leaving no trace, other than maybe some embarrassment if they are mentioned in the future.

Get back to me when entry to primary school might depend on whether you are on record as believing in fairies not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

PARlance wrote: »
    They should just have a TV in each classroom with a Sky News Feed. It's more worry these kids need.

Yeah, get them used to dealing with the ambient doom and gloom. They'll be better equipped for adulthood which is really coming all too soon for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

OU812 wrote: »
    The principle is a ride.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 spiritnsoul

If it gets children expressing their feelings and anxieties then brill idea. There are more to feelings than the typical "sure im grand".

Advertisement