Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I'd assume it was more than 2,000 and have asked EP to give a clear figure. Hopefully they didn't cut down on Loyalty numbers this year in another money-grab. The numbers buying here, and pals who bought swiftly implies it was a sizeable number anyway. I bought quickly in case of this, but I feel particularly for younger festival goes who'll not have access to cash straight after this year's fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    but I feel particularly for younger festival goes who'll not have access to cash straight after this year's fest.

bloody ageist! im in my 40's and missed my loyalty coz im skint! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

Even though I played the game and bought a loyalty ticket - the price combats any argument- I feel the timing of the sale directly after festival is very unfair. Even if they waited for people to be paid again! Assuming a lot of people paid monthly - that would make some difference. They have to be cutting on numbers of loyalty tickets available. I hate giving them the satisfaction when all the things they do annoy me so much, but the benefit outweighs the annoyance.

Way ahead of schedule how about some wish lists for 2018. Here's some of the acts that haven't played before that I think are long overdue:

Lucinda Williams
    The Strokes
    Aimee Mann
    The The
    A-ha
    Edwyn Collins
    Stiff Little Fingers
    The Everlasting Yeah
    Roddy Frame
    Ultravox
    Television
    Julian Cope
    Teleman
    Sunflower Bean
    Chuck Prophet
    Dan Stuart
    Green On Red
    Amon Tobin
    Aphex Twin
    Van Morrison
    Teenage Fanclub
    King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard
    Air
    Suede
    Horslips
    Deerhunter

And any random guesses on headliners? My first thoughts are Leftfield, Tame Impala & LCD Soundsystem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Way ahead of schedule how about some wish lists for 2018. Here's some of the acts that haven't played before that I think are long overdue:

Lucinda Williams
    The Strokes
    Aimee Mann
    The The
    A-ha
    Edwyn Collins
    Stiff Little Fingers
    The Everlasting Yeah
    Roddy Frame
    Ultravox
    Television
    Julian Cope
    Teleman
    Sunflower Bean
    Aphex Twin
    Van Morrison
    Teenage Fanclub
    King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard
    Air
    Suede
    Horslips
    Deerhunter

And any random guesses on headliners? My first thoughts are Leftfield, Tame Impala & LCD Soundsystem.

I like that list.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Television, not a hope in hell, saw them a few years back when they played the academy, Verlaine is really not the sort of chap who would be festival friendly (you've got 45 mins, so that's 2 or 3 songs?), or friendly full stop.

Suede, really surpirsed we didn't get them last year, here's hoping on that one. I guess we're going to have to wait till spring to see who is playing the festival circuit before we can start to nail down who is actually about late summer next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Give me:

David Byrne
    Nine Inch Nails
    Beck
    Johnny Marr
    St Vincent
    Battles
    Spiritualized
    Christine & the Queens
    Grizzly Bear
    Goldfrapp
    DBFC

and i'll be happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

They are both good lists. Can you imagine what the Facebook crowd would make of that.?

But I would settle for Amon Tobin closing electric arena on the Saturday.

How has he never been booked for this festival?

Yes, I know say this every year.

They are both good lists. Can you imagine what the Facebook crowd would make of that.?

I've not listened to Amon Tobin in a long time, does he have any new music in the works?

The acts i've listed above all are all working on new material so hopefully a few might be Stradbally bound this time next year.

I've not listened to Amon Tobin in a long time, does he have any new music in the works?

The acts i've listed above all are all working on new material so hopefully a few might be Stradbally bound this time next year.

Not that I am aware of. I just want to hear that massive sound.

wrt new music, the new Mount Kimbie album is fantastic. Most accessible yet. Would welcome them back to play the new stuff.

If you haven't heard it yet, you will not be disappointed

• Advertisement

Not that I am aware of. I just want to hear that massive sound.

wrt new music, the new Mount Kimbie album is fantastic. Most accessible yet. Would welcome them back to play the new stuff.

If you haven't heard it yet, you will not be disappointed

Yeah would be something else alright. I've not listened to much of his stuff after Out From Out Where, how does it compare to the earlier stuff?

Never really given Mount Kimbie a proper go, will have to check out some of their stuff.

Yeah would be something else alright. I've not listened to much of his stuff after Out From Out Where, how does it compare to the earlier stuff?

Never really given Mount Kimbie a proper go, will have to check out some of their stuff.

Is not quite up there, but check out this live version of his ISAM album. Would have loved to have seen that.

https://youtu.be/uh85lplBqdU

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Would love one of QOTSA or Arctic monkeys

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

D.Q wrote: »
    Would love one of QOTSA or Arctic monkeys

one member of the group each to form another band like? :D:D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

JAMC
    James
    Suede
    John Moreland
    Jason Isbell
    SLF
    Chuck Prophet
    Roddy Frame (great shout above)
    Avett Brothers
    Frank Turner
    The Alarm
    Garry Tallent
    Peter Bruntnell
    Ryan Adams
    The Damned
    Big Country

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

one member of the group each to form another band like? :D:D

Hahaha whoops.

Yeah if they could both send one representative to the mindfield

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Nine Inch Nails!? That would be awesome. What about The Prodigy? One band that’s escaped me every time they’ve been here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The Prodigy would be class. No idea who could headline next year, The National maybe? Will have to wait and see who is touring.

Complete fantasy but would love to see some of these:
    Tame Impala
    The War on Drugs
    Caribou
    M83
    Cigarettes After Sex
    Rhye
    Slowdive
    Roosevelt
    Simple Minds
    Justice
    Little Dragon
    HAIM
    Jungle

A couple of those and I would be a happy camper. M83 in particular is one that I have wanted to see for a long time.

Television,  not a hope in hell,  saw them a few years back when they played the academy, Verlaine is really not the sort of chap who would be festival friendly (you've got 45 mins, so that's 2 or 3 songs?), or friendly full stop.

Suede, really surpirsed we didn't get them last year, here's hoping on that one.   I guess we're going to have to wait till spring to see who is playing the festival circuit before we can start to nail down who is actually about late summer next year.
    Television have just done a US festival tour and did Green Man in 2015, disappointed they didn't make EP that year. So they do the odd fest. But yeah, you're right Scruff, I don't think they'll play but I live in hope. We've had Gang of Four & Magazine after all.

And re the festival circuit the Primavera announcement in Dec/Jan should give us an inkling. We get The The and that's enough for me.

I'm not familiar with him at all. Listening to him now and very impressed. And he's now added to my 2018 list. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Advertisement

thebusher wrote: »
    JAMC
    James
    Suede
    John Moreland
    Jason Isbell
    SLF
    Chuck Prophet
    Roddy Frame (great shout above)
    Avett Brothers
    Frank Turner
    The Alarm
    Garry Tallent
    Peter Bruntnell
    Ryan Adams
    The Damned
    Big Country

Ah hey, an even better shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

We've been asking for The Prodigy for years :pac: I'm not holding my breath. Id prefer Justice over them if were only geting one big dance act.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

No idea who will headline but with Happy Mondays/Black Grape touring the past two or three years they should be in the running.

Snarky Snark Snark

No,just no, ffs no. Never in a million years

Snarky Snark Snark

Television have just done a US festival tour and did Green Man in 2015, disappointed they didn't make EP that year. So they do the odd fest. But yeah, you're right Scruff, I don't think they'll play but I live in hope.

To be honest, the subtlety of their stuff would be utterly lost in a festival setting, esp an Irish festival setting. I'd love to see them again, but only in a "controlled" environment
    We get The The and that's enough for me.

Infect me with your love baby, yeah, would be a cracker to see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭beecee

The The and Julian Cope. I like the way you think.
    I'd say there's next to no chance, but you can't imagine how happy that would make me. Did you see The The headlining Heartland Festival? I had a look but couldn't justify it.
    Television have just done a US festival tour and did Green Man in 2015, disappointed they didn't make EP that year. So they do the odd fest. But yeah, you're right Scruff, I don't think they'll play but I live in hope. We've had Gang of Four & Magazine after all.

And re the festival circuit the Primavera announcement in Dec/Jan should give us an inkling. We get The The and that's enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

No,just no, ffs no. Never in a million years

They got some great reviews this year, like they were playing properly (after previous years mess).
    I would not be a fan, but to see them down there at 5pm or so would be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Posted the below in the 2017 thread, meant to put it here. Whoops...
    Northside festival in Denmark announced its headline acts earlier in the week, think its the first European one to announce. Takes place in early June so some of the acts may be touring Europe at that end of the summer and more likely for the likes of Primavera than EP but at least we know who is around.

The National, Queens of the Stone Age and Father John Misty announced as headliners, with Cigarettes After Sex on the bill too.

Wouldn't expect Father John Misty again after performing this year but the National are surely a good shout? Apparently QOTSA are doing big outdoor shows next year too so would expect a mid-summer Marlay Park or a festival slot here. How big a demand would there be for QOTSA here? Like their 3Arena show (15k) sold out pretty sharpish, so would they sell out 30-45k in a big field in the summer, or would they be more likely to do a festival show?

You'd expect the likes of the War on Drugs, Tame Impala (if they release new music), Beck, the Killers and St Vincent to be doing the rounds on the festival circuit next year after new albums and smaller tours (in some cases) this year. Any or all could be a good bet for EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Graham1978

Had this posted in the 2017 thread

I've being saying it for years, I think James would be a great booking . Perfect picnic band . Also Peter Hook and the light, great live .

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

Suckit wrote: »
    They got some great reviews this year, like they were playing properly (after previous years mess).
    I would not be a fan, but to see them down there at 5pm or so would be good.

To my shame i saw them at Leopardstown, in fairness, the band were tight.

He is a total and utter mess though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement