Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MiniFridgeMen

David August is excellent.

David August IS excellent, Yasiin Bey was a previous highlight from EP for me, he was great when he played a few years back, also, The Bootleg Beatles would have been a bit of fun to see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

David August is excellent.
    seen him before, he's grand like, not too fussed about seeing him again though. bit too ploddy tech-house for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Am I in the wrong thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Am I in the wrong thread?

yes, you are. All the cool people are in the ATN thread ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

yes, you are. All the cool people are in the ATN thread ... ;)

lCtUnXe.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Anyone catch the Eminem set from Coachella? Supposedly excellent. Hopefully a future EP headliner though the time to get him was surely last year when FR hired him for Reading/Leeds.
    And before anyone suggests he's too expensive for EP I'd ask if he'd really cost more than Kendrick L.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Anyone catch the Eminem set from Coachella? Supposedly excellent. Hopefully a future EP headliner though the time to get him was surely last year when FR hired him for Reading/Leeds.
    And before anyone suggests he's too expensive for EP I'd ask if he'd really cost more than Kendrick L.

"but think of the scumbags" etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

showpony1 wrote: »
    "but think of the scumbags" etc

Memories of the 2010 Oxegen crowd, jaysus.

Snarky Snark Snark

The "scumbags" would need to have prior knowledge of him playing in order to purchase a ticket, as seen every goddamned year, no one knows nathin about the line up until they pleasure us with it by which point it's almost sold out anyway.

this is a non issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 boylecm

maximoose wrote: »
    Memories of the 2010 Oxegen crowd, jaysus.

They were a classy bunch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

boylecm wrote: »
    They were a classy bunch

In all fairness, since the demise of Oxegen, nothing has come close in terms of the volume of commercially strong acts that they had each year. The 2010 line up is impressive and that wasnt a vintage year.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Paddy2012

boylecm wrote: »
    They were a classy bunch

In all fairness, since the demise of Oxegen, nothing has come close in terms of the volume of commercially strong acts that they had each year.  The 2010 line up is impressive and that wasnt a vintage year.
    I think now there's not as much money being made from albums the bigger acts still about are maybe charging more/being more selective, also Oxygen sharing their line up with T in the Park definitely helped attract bigger names.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Paddy2012 wrote: »
    I think now there's not as much money being made from albums the bigger acts still about are maybe charging more/being more selective, also Oxygen sharing their line up with T in the Park definitely helped attract bigger names.

Yep, agree with this.

Also there are any number of smaller festivals now that are willing to blow a large portion of their budget on 1 or 2 big names that it dilutes the big name factor for the likes of EP's lineup in comparison to 10-15 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Only thing EP is concerned with is profit, no other reason for avoiding the big headliners. If EP wanted a massive act they could out muscle any small festival. They have created a festival, from what was a smaller festival with one or two big acts and 6000-10000 people over the first few years, to what could be described as Oxegen in disguise. With Oxegen gone, they took over the market and became the biggest festival of the summer. Demand for tickets went through the roof, to the point its now sold out before any acts are even announced. With tickets sold out, they don't spend anything over than what they can safely get away with, and whats more they create even more anticipation and hype with the promise of something big the following year. And the beat goes on......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Hoboo wrote: »
    Only thing EP is concerned with is profit, no other reason for avoiding the big headliners. If EP wanted a massive act they could out muscle any small festival. They have created a festival, from what was a smaller festival with one or two big acts and 6000-10000 people over the first few years, to what could be described as Oxegen in disguise. With Oxegen gone, they took over the market and became the biggest festival of the summer. Demand for tickets went through the roof, to the point its now sold out before any acts are even announced. With tickets sold out, they don't spend anything over than what they can safely get away with, and whats more they create even more anticipation and hype with the promise of something big the following year. And the beat goes on......

No the first one was a one day event in 2004 much like the style of Forbidden Fruit and Beatyard with capacity for 10,000, the second one (First camping one over two days with camping opening on the Friday) in 2005 My first I think the capacity was 22,000 and from 2006 to 2013 I think it became 32,500 people and changed to 50,000 or 55,000 from 2015 onward. So it was a mid-size festival up to at least 2013.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Snarky Snark Snark

Only thing EP is concerned with is profit, no other reason for avoiding the big headliners.

Every festival wants to make a profit, it's how they survive and i hate to break it to ye but the three they have this year are big headliners, might not be to peoples tastes but Lemur is one of the biggest acts at the moment, Massive Attack are a decent legacy act and NERD would not have been cheap either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Every festival wants to make a profit, it's how they survive and i hate to break it to ye but the three they have this year are big headliners, might not be to peoples tastes but Lemur is one of the biggest acts at the moment, Massive Attack are a decent legacy act and NERD would not have been cheap either.

NERD playing support to KL in summer sessions in scotland.

Wasn't super enthused about either being a headliner but feel sometimes Ireland is an afterthought when coming up with headliners as of recent years.

Live Nation seem to focus more so on mainland Europe, Scandinavia and the USA.

I feel Reading and Leeds has been on a constant decline as well.

Could have done better imo.

No the first one was a one day event in 2004 much like the style of Forbidden Fruit and Beatyard with capacity for 10,000, the second one (First camping one over two days with camping opening on the Friday) in 2005 My first I think the capacity was 22,000 and from 2006 to 2013 I think it became 32,500 people and changed to 50,000 or 55,000 from 2015 onward. So it was a mid-size festival up to at least 2013.

Youre correct. Its a long time ago and I was lets say, off my tits. I was at the first one. No more than 5-6k at it. If even. Mylo played a live band set in a marquee for about 100. That was the body and soul tent. 2006 was 30,000. So I stand corrected. It blew up much more quickly than I remember, but didn't turn into what it is now until Oxegen closed its doors.

There's making profit, and then there's creaming it, and they're completely taking the pis$$. As much as I like both, Massive Attack and Nerd aren't headliners never mind big headliners imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

Two more decent sub-headliners/headliners in the vein of maybe Tame Impala & Lorde along with the obligatory main stage dance act (Moby? Leftfield? the Streets?) this year's line-up would be one of the better ones with plenty of diversity.

Going on the acts doing the rounds Miles Kane, Jamie xx, Gaz Coombes & The The would be just dandy too.

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

Massive Attack and Nerd aren't headliners never mind big headliners imho.

oNTSh2R.jpg

There's making profit, and then there's creaming it, and they're completely taking the pis$$. As much as I like both, Massive Attack and Nerd aren't headliners never mind big headliners imho.
    that's the same Massive Attack that headlined in 2010, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Davydeath

and 2006 - one of my favourite sets i've seen at EP

The "scumbags" would need to have prior knowledge of him playing in order to purchase a ticket, as seen every goddamned year, no one knows nathin about the line up until they pleasure us with it by which point it's almost sold out anyway.

this is a non issue.

its easy to get a ticket for EP if you want one.

i'd love to see Eminem play personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

In fairness that was 8 years ago and I don't think they've had an album since. A good addition but not really headliner material imo. Same with NERD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Are Massive Attack/NERD headlining anywhere else?

Wooderson wrote: »

no must be an EP exclusive ;) prob paid a little extra

Wooderson wrote: »
    NERD are headlining Lowlands, Fuji Rock, Parklife, Lovebox, possibly some american festivals too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

mgkelly wrote: »
    This is probably grossly unfair, but I almost think of The Darkness, now, as a caricature of themselves; as almost a comedy act.

They were always a comedy act, weren't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

My two cents - Kendrick Lamar is one of the biggest superstars on the planet and one of the biggest headliners EP have ever booked (although personally not a huge fan). Massive Attack are another worthy headliner having headlined the festival twice before and have had 3 or 4 very successful albums in the UK/Ireland. NERD are a bit of a cop out though and may have been a cheap option for EP as they definitely do not have a big fan base in Ireland. Similar to A Tribe Called Quest last year I feel although arguably even less popular.

Not a bad set of headliners but none of them appeal to me that much, that is the luck of the draw I'm afraid. I reckon we still have at least two decent sized sub-headliners to come in the next announcement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement