Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

I guess that's Avvicii ruled out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

My two cents - Kendrick Lamar is one of the biggest superstars on the planet and one of the biggest headliners EP have ever booked (although personally not a huge fan). Massive Attack are another worthy headliner having headlined the festival twice before and have had 3 or 4 very successful albums in the UK/Ireland. NERD are a bit of a cop out though and may have been a cheap option for EP as they definitely do not have a big fan base in Ireland. Similar to A Tribe Called Quest last year I feel although arguably even less popular.

Not a bad set of headliners but none of them appeal to me that much, that is the luck of the draw I'm afraid. I reckon we still have at least two decent sized sub-headliners to come in the next announcement.

I doubt you could justify that point about Tribe being bigger in Ireland than NERD.Neither have ever set our charts alight, but NERD at least had a few hits this millenium. Plus Pharrell is more or less a mainstay of pop, hip-hop and electronic music the last 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Any Saturday night main stage dance/electronic potential shortlist?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

EP has always veered towards the critically acclaimed over the chart popular. Artistic merit trumps all. Long may this continue.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

SmallBalls wrote: »

Id be happy with these

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

SmallBalls wrote: »

Picking candidates kinda difficult. Came up with Leftfield, Moby, the Streets (dance-y).

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

Would like to see Pillow Queens added just seen them on Other Voices.

Tago Mago wrote: »
    Picking candidates kinda difficult. Came up with Leftfield, Moby, the Streets (dance-y).

Are Leftfield not doing there own gig somewhere? Moby seems to have gone a bit bonkers over the last while ,Would be happy with the Streets

EP has always veered towards the critically acclaimed over the chart popular. Artistic merit trumps all. Long may this continue.
    Would The Prodigy still cover both bases???

Are Leftfield not doing there own gig somewhere? Moby seems to have gone a bit bonkers over the last while ,Would be happy with the Streets
    Heard nothing but good things about their recent gigs in the UK

• Advertisement

When was the last time a DJ headlined/played last on the main stage? (On their own not Pete Tong) I remember Fat Boy Slim in maybe 2005, after that was it all electronic acts playing live? Would it go down well on the main stage with the size of the festival now? Personally I'd love Aphex Twin or Orbital not much chance of either Orbital playing Beatyard and Aphex not touring.
    Can anyone suggest a DJ big enough to do it. I can't think of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭the_gommes

haitens wrote: »
    Would like to see Pillow Queens added just seen them on Other Voices.

Agreed, they’d be great. I’m assuming the next main announcement & other voices will pad out the Irish acts. I’d expect (& be very happy with) Le Galaxie, Pillow Queens, Talos, Katie Laffan, Le Boom & a few others.

Last year seemed like such a strong year for Irish acts at EP, hope they continue to build on that.

There’s a few local bands here in Donegal that I’d say definitely deserve to play. For Foresters, In Their Thousands & Blackbird & Crow are all excellent & deserve a wider audience. Any other good local bands that you’d like to see get a decent opportunity to impress?

the_gommes wrote: »
    Agreed, they’d be great. I’m assuming the next main announcement & other voices will pad out the Irish acts. I’d expect (& be very happy with) Le Galaxie, Pillow Queens, Talos, Katie Laffan, Le Boom & a few others.

Last year seemed like such a strong year for Irish acts at EP, hope they continue to build on that.
    There’s a few local bands here in Donegal that I’d say definitely deserve to play. For Foresters, In Their Thousands & Blackbird & Crow are all excellent & deserve a wider audience. Any other good local bands that you’d like to see get a decent opportunity to impress?
    Cheers for the suggestions. Must be hard for local bands to get on the Bill and make a statement. I remember seeing Girl band and been blow away dunno what's happening with them now. Same with Death In The Sickroom. Anyone remember Sample Answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Vicar Street in May and Townlands Carnival in Cork in July. Would be surprised to see them do three Irish shows in four months but it wouldn't be out of the question given the profile of the other shows.
    the_gommes wrote: »

TBF, EP has aaalways done right by the Irish acts. Some of my favourite shows over the years have been the Irish ones; Villagers on Body & Soul at like midday one year, James Vincent McMorrow playing to a tent of about 30 people before he released his debut and Jape, every single time but especially with Booka Brass.

I have vague memories of watching Somadrone at Body & Soul at about 4am one year too but B&S at 4am is a funny ole place...

Would expect David Kitt to be among the bigger Irish acts added this year after his new album (which is brilliant) with Talos, Le Galaxie and Ships. Would also like/expect Cinema, Pillow Queens and Le Boom in terms of lower profile acts.

I wonder, given the performances of the Coronas and Hozier in recent years, will Picture This, Kodaline or Gavin James get a bigish slot? I think Hozier was on at about 5/6pm on the main stage and got a massive crowd. That said, the big Irish slot might be reserved for Snow Patrol after their Irish tour or, potentially, a Bell X1 'Best Of' set after their summer run?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Can see leftfield makingvan appearance. They're headling arcadia on the saturday which im going to 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭the_gommes

Vicar Street in May and Townlands Carnival in Cork in July. Would be surprised to see them do three Irish shows in four months but it wouldn't be out of the question given the profile of the other shows.

TBF, EP has aaalways done right by the Irish acts. Some of my favourite shows over the years have been the Irish ones; Villagers on Body & Soul at like midday one year, James Vincent McMorrow playing to a tent of about 30 people before he released his debut and Jape, every single time but especially with Booka Brass.

I have vague memories of watching Somadrone at Body & Soul at about 4am one year too but B&S at 4am is a funny ole place...

Would expect David Kitt to be among the bigger Irish acts added this year after his new album (which is brilliant) with Talos, Le Galaxie and Ships. Would also like/expect Cinema, Pillow Queens and Le Boom in terms of lower profile acts.

I wonder, given the performances of the Coronas and Hozier in recent years, will Picture This, Kodaline or Gavin James get a bigish slot? I think Hozier was on at about 5/6pm on the main stage and got a massive crowd. That said, the big Irish slot might be reserved for Snow Patrol after their Irish tour or, potentially, a Bell X1 'Best Of' set after their summer run?

Very true, there’s always a strong Irish selection, last year was probably just more to my tastes than usual! Forgot about Ships, they’re surely destined for a big slot this year.

For me, Le Galaxie closing B&S a few years ago was a huge highlight. Overhead the Albatross were also fantastic. Irish music is in such a strong state at the minute I’d be delighted to see lots of smaller acts added, not necessarily headline acts. Living in Donegal I don’t get to see too many of the smaller acts live & EP is where I do my catching up for the year!

An afternoon main stage slot for picture this would probably be the draw of the weekend, leaving more space for me at the smaller stages!

Cant see Picture This or Kodaline appearing since they are doing their own big outdoor shows. Didnt the Coronas play last year or am i wrong. Cant see Snow Patrol appearing either since it looks like they are only touring at the start of the summer up till July with nothing after that. Id say they will do an arena tour at the end of the year and return next summer for the big outdoor shows

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Fontaines DC are probably the best up and coming band around so I would expect to see them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

haitens wrote: »
    When was the last time a DJ headlined/played last on the main stage? (On their own not Pete Tong) I remember Fat Boy Slim in maybe 2005, after that was it all electronic acts playing live? Would it go down well on the main stage with the size of the festival now? Personally I'd love Aphex Twin or Orbital not much chance of either Orbital playing Beatyard and Aphex not touring.
    Can anyone suggest a DJ big enough to do it. I can't think of one.

Fatboy Slim played in 2013 as well on the Friday night. Other than that can't think of any other DJs playing the main stage, as you said it is all live electronic acts. I don't think we are going to have one this year, maybe the Prodigy but can't think of any others that seem to be around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Cant see Picture This or Kodaline appearing since they are doing their own big outdoor shows. Didnt the Coronas play last year or am i wrong. Cant see Snow Patrol appearing either since it looks like they are only touring at the start of the summer up till July with nothing after that. Id say they will do an arena tour at the end of the year and return next summer for the big outdoor shows

Snow Patrol already have a few festival dates lined up - Rock Wertcher and Mad Cool for sure anyway - but you may be right about saving it for next year.

Have to say the Irish tour caught me by surprise. Had fully expected them on the EP or Longitude line-up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Moby does not really gig anymore. We didn’t get a dancey dancey act last year, they may be moving away from that pattern

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Moby does not really gig anymore. We didn’t get a dancey dancey act last year, they may be moving away from that pattern

Squaggle

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

So, never heard this word before. The Urban Dictionary reports the following:
    "Squaggling is the intense, more active form of cuddling in which a couple does everything they can to maximize the surface area of body-to-body contact which increases stimulation all over the body. To achieve squaggling status: 
    1) Be embraced to the point of near suffocation (if it is a true squaggle, this will feel good
    2) The appendages (arms, legs, and if you got the length, schlongs) of the squagglers should be wrapped around and intertwined with eachother 
    3) While it is possible to squaggle with both partners facing the same direction, the most intense squaggling occurs when the partners face eachother (a few obvious pros of facing eachother are the eye to eye and boobie to boobie contact) 
    4) Once an embrace is established and appendages are intertwined, hands, feet, fingers, toes, and any other body part that is able to roam and stimulate should get busy! 

*NOTE: Squaggling does not involve intercourse, and although the outcome of a good squaggling session usually RESULTS in an intense shag, the terms intercourse and squaggling are distinctly different."
    You at the good stuff again...?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Stillill42

We appear to be in greater need of an announcement than I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

Peggy gou and Nina kraviz 2 of the best dance acts around guys... Nerd na they dont excite me ten years ago yes they did , but not anymore... Absolutely cannot slag the picnic off for Kendrick lemar , a massive name right now but just not my cup of tea, probably showing my age... Iv tried but just can't get into him... I will stick to my nas and biggy where rap is concerned! Massive attack once again does nothing for me personally but realise they are massive ! So really I'm hoping for a second announcement that appeals to me ... The kooks, George Ezra, dua lipa all fine radio music but na not for me either.... But don't buy people saying there's no good dance music on lineup its early doors .. No casa Bacardi even announced yet and as previously said Peggy gou and Nina kraviz are 2 of the best out there right now ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭LowOdour

So its been over a month since the first announcement. At the time, I wasn't too critical of the line-up as I thought that (similar to 2017) there is loads of scope to discover new music. 
    Have to say, a month in trying to discover new sounds hasn't been as fruitful as I thought it might. I have given many of them a chance (not in to dance/electronica really so skipped them types). A few I knew already and liked, and a few I've discovered and also liked.
    If it were on tomorrow, these would be the acts I'd go see
    Kendrick Lamar,St Vincent,Benjamin Clementine,Field Music,Gang of Youths,Yellow Days,Hak Baker
    Compare that with the first announcement of 2017, these were all bands I would have put on to my to-see list.
    A Tribe Called Quest,Interpol,Phoenix,Run The Jewels,Father John Misty,The Divine Comedy,Band Of Horses,Michael Kiwanuka,Vince Staples,Young Fathers,Perfume Genius,POND,Car Seat Headrest, Japandroids,Parquet Courts,Real Estate
    I am very hopeful that the next few announcements will throw up some gems!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Stillill42

LowOdour wrote: »
    So its been over a month since the first announcement. At the time, I wasn't too critical of the line-up as I thought that (similar to 2017) there is loads of scope to discover new music. 
    Have to say, a month in trying to discover new sounds hasn't been as fruitful as I thought it might. I have given many of them a chance (not in to dance/electronica really so skipped them types). A few I knew already and liked, and a few I've discovered and also liked.
    If it were on tomorrow, these would be the acts I'd go see
    Kendrick Lamar,St Vincent,Benjamin Clementine,Field Music,Gang of Youths,Yellow Days,Hak Baker
    Compare that with the first announcement of 2017, these were all bands I would have put on to my to-see list.
    A Tribe Called Quest,Interpol,Phoenix,Run The Jewels,Father John Misty,The Divine Comedy,Band Of Horses,Michael Kiwanuka,Vince Staples,Young Fathers,Perfume Genius,POND,Car Seat Headrest, Japandroids,Parquet Courts,Real Estate
    I am very hopeful that the next few announcements will throw up some gems!
    Have another look at La Femme, LowOdour. They should be on your list.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

Trip to Tipp is back*

https://www.feileclassical.ie

*kinda

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So not even a handful of Trenchtown names yet, ah, lads and lassies its gonna be a bit of a wait.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

So not even a handful of Trenchtown names yet, ah, lads and lassies its gonna be a bit of a wait.

At least another month and a half

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement